Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

Have any of you seen the documentary "Bully?" It was filmed by Lee Hirsch. What did you think about it?

It is not like other Bullying movies that are available. It was the first one to raise awareness about the sad and unfortunate reality of the situation. Victims are pushed to the breaking point, and they end up taking their own lives. Administrators are often clueless and even reluctant to resolving the issue and holding bullies responsible for their actions. Some bullies are even rewarded for their actions because they are part of the "dominant social group."

I wrote a blog post about it on Wordpress. Please feel free to leave a comment if you would like to.

http://dwarren57.wordpress.com/2013/08/ ... t-my-past/

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2013, 11:24 am

I saw it on a field trip. I cried. We had to get special permission from our parents to go because it has an R rating, I believe. Nobody haas ever bullied me nearly that bad, and I have never (nor will I ever) bully anyone.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:16 pm

I may show this documentary to my church youth group. I think they will enjoy it.

LAlien wrote:
I saw it on a field trip. I cried. We had to get special permission from our parents to go because it has an R rating, I believe. Nobody haas ever bullied me nearly that bad, and I have never (nor will I ever) bully anyone.

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm

I would say yes, if they are over the age of twelve. It's pretty intense, don't you think?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

Well, I say that would depend on whether or not the child understands bullying, suicide and why people make the decision to take their own life.

LAlien wrote:
I would say yes, if they are over the age of twelve. It's pretty intense, don't you think?

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

The movie can help a lot with that, a couple class bullies went and they cried, too. I even heard one apologise for bullying a kid. I think that itis very difficult to understand those things completely unless you have been through it or seen someone close to you go through it. I can't even completely understand, but I can understand enough to know bullying has to be controlled ASAP.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:10 pm

The scene that really stood out to me was the one with Ja'meya Jackson. She was the one who pulled a gun on her classmates during her morning bus ride to school. The police officer tried to throw a bunch of charges at her when she could not find any other way to defend herself. She was repeatedly taunted by a gang of five boys, so she thought bringing a gun onto the bus would intimidate them and convince them to leave her alone.

LAlien wrote:
The movie can help a lot with that, a couple class bullies went and they cried, too. I even heard one apologise for bullying a kid. I think that itis very difficult to understand those things completely unless you have been through it or seen someone close to you go through it. I can't even completely understand, but I can understand enough to know bullying has to be controlled ASAP.

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

It's very shocking an sad that she felt like that was her only option. The adults should have taken action waaaaaaay before that. I was recently on a camping trip where my friends mother met a mother who's son had boon severely bullied. He was (physically) bullied to the point where he had permanent brain damage. It was shocking to hear that it can go that far, physically. The woman is now an advocate, in her (small) town, for bullying victims.