Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

nice first post @@@

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

RDOS, thank you for the link, I'll read the paper when I get a chance.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm

rdos wrote:

Leif:

Congratulations on having it published. And Sage is top of the line.

The Creative Commons permissions will make the results more accessible.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2013, 1:04 pm

I've read the paper and it's cool. But IMHO, I think the intuitive knowledge of the differences between asperger and neurotypical are not found by asking questions but by life experience. And this life experience are found in the work of Drew Macpherson (http://web.archive.org/web/201203051733 ... erson.com/) and more precise in this book: (http://youmaybeinsane.webstarts.com/ind ... 0228130918).

It's so obvious that their is dualistic genetic origin, aspergian and neurotypical. Basically we have different types of people considered aspergian and neurotypical.
Also politics and all the differences in humans are probably found in the different genetic and environment origin. Aspergians are moslty at the left side and neurotypicals at the right side. It's simple as that. It's just a matter of time to have a more aspergian society, which favors the now less aspergian society. at the end neurotypical and aspergian genes will be mixed and the dualism will be gone

Unipolartom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

I'm concerned about the narrow definition of neurodiverse with autism and everyone else as neurotypical in this paper. This is not how the real world works. The real world is full of neurodiversities of sociability, attention, literacy, mood, cognition, and more. To quantify this in this polarized way is absurd and just the sort of thing that academics tend to obsess about.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:57 am

This was an enjoyable and enlightening read, even though I do agree that the way that neurodiversity is presented in the paper can sometimes come across as a bit narrow (though I do not think that this was the author's intention:

Leif Ekblad wrote:

The results correlated to many disorders defined by psychiatry, and also with several factors in personality tests.
The neurodiversity concept primarily relates to ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, and Dyspraxia (Armstrong, 2010; Jaarsma & Welin, 2012; Pollak, 2009). It is proposed that neurodiversity is similar to other personality differences, such as the personality types measured with a Big Five instrument (Costa & McCrae, 1992), that is, similar to persons with transsexuality wanting to be identified by that term instead of gender identity disorder.
diagnostic status for autism, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, bipolar, schizophrenia, Tourette, oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), and nonverbal learning disorder (NLD) have been collected.
Aspie Quiz does not support the idea that neurodiversity is similar to Asperger’s syndrome or the entire autism spectrum. To begin with, it was the intention to produce a test that could predict an Asperger’s syndrome diagnosis, but when the dual-factor nature of the material was discovered, this aim was dropped.
).

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on getting published.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:00 am

It's mostly narrow because I didn't want to include the things that are unrelated to the psychiatric diagnoses I checked (or some dimension in BigFive, which was also checked). I plan to deal with these things in other papers in the future. In fact, I'm working on a paper about emotion and communication that's not covered by DSM-labels (at least not in the way I'll present it). Then there are neurotypical compulsions (not covered by DSM), neurotypical talent (mostly "cognitive" problems), Aspie hunting (completely novel), Aspie social (mostly novel, but somewhat related to sexuality).