Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Greeny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

I just stay at home all day. It's a habit. What are some suggestions that I can do today or tomorrow to set me on a road for developing social skills?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:23 pm

First and foremost, remember that a journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step. Joining clubs, taking classes, volunteering, these are all ways to meet people.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2013, 1:43 pm

Maybe a first step is to take walks around your neighborhood? Maybe look a little at people if they are walking too and if they say hi say hi back?

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

I'm not working at the moment, so I can sympathise.
What I do is get out for a walk at least a couple of times a week.
I might got and buy fruit and veg.
I might go and buy a loaf of bread.
Both of these activities involve going outside, interacting with the environment, making choices and interacting with another person.
I also usually go to the library at least once a week.
Sometimes I borrow things, sometimes I return things, sometimes I just go to the library for a place to walk to, have a look around the shelves and then go home.
I also get outside and do some gardening on occasion.
I also participate in community volunteering, in my case I volunteer for a local bush regeneration scheme, and sped 4 hours once a month with a group of mostly older retirees doing work removing weeks and helping restore the local environment. This particular group meet up at a members house, move on from there to the bush, and stop half way through to go to the members house and have morning tea.
This works well for me, as it's not too much interaction, it's not too frequent, and there is a task to do, rather than just sitting chatting.
You could also consider meals on wheels - you don't need to drive, as they often like to have someone else take the meals whilst the driver stays with the car.
Check with your local council to see if there is a volunteer group that may suit you; you'll feel wanted, appreciated, and useful, but don't need to commit yourself in the same way as you would with a full time job.