What was the worst time period of your life?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

What was the worst time period of your life?
Pre school 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Elementary school 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Middle school 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
High school 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
College/University 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Post graduation/Work life 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 78

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:35 pm

That's a tough call...I had some pretty rough patches during most of those time periods. Overall though I'd probably say high school, although I did have a pretty bad stint immediately post-graduation from college where I couldn't get a job and ended up working at a minimum wage place where I was bullied by some of my coworkers.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

Ages 5 to 16, throughout kindergarten and mandatory schooling.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

I never used to like bath night.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2013, 6:09 pm

High school was horrible. I was badly bullied, my grades went downhill and my home life was a mess.

It was an awful time, looking back. At the time, I don't think I realised how bad it really was...but I'm seriously amazed I made it through.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:14 pm

I'd have to say middle school. My grades went downhill, I had major social problems, I became much more obsessive, I had my first suicidal ideation, and in the summer between middle school and high school I became severely psychotic and engaged in bizarre behavior in response to my delusions, causing me to get hospitalized for 6 months (which took up most of my first year of high school). By contrast, elementary school and high school were much better for me.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 7:22 pm

I dropped out of 10th grade and spent 6 months sleeping ~18-20hrs per day and not leaving my room for anything but the bathroom. The only reason I didn't kill myself was because I was too depressed to go to the effort. I was nearly institutionalized (avoided it because my shrink took a gamble, assuming I'd be too mad at everyone over being institutionalized to continue therapy when I got out). prior to that I was extremely good in school, 99th percentile on tests, etc.

I've periodically had meltdowns in the 10 years since then (usually involving locking myself in my room again, and dropping out of school or losing a job or something because of it) but that first major one was by far the worst.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 11:26 pm

there has been all manner of bad since childhood up to I'd say maybe a year ago. things have only started to improvve recently. In terms of rock bottom of the barrel suicide ultimatum i gave to myself- that was age 27. The ultimatum was professional help or death. One or the other. Two years ago. I believe I am doing okay now.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2013, 8:22 am

Middle school. I was suffering from psychotic episodes were I thought insects were laying eggs in my body, and shadows and light could turn into knives and blind me.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:57 am

Middle School and the last year of Elementary Schol (changed school). I'm in High School and the classroom is somewhat debugged and there isn't active bullying anymore. Though I became even lonelier after Middle School.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

My worst time period was age 10 to 13. I was already too old for the simple pleasures of childhood, but still too young for the advantages of adolescence. So in a nutshell, I had the worst of both worlds: no longer allowed to own childhood toys, and not allowed to walk around town by myself. That's when I spent a lot of time praying to god to take my life, and when that didn't happen, I became an atheist.

Also, roughly when I was in 3rd grade, my parents started some strange crusade against "kid stuff", to get me to "grow up faster". What compounded it is that I had when my family moved across the country when I was 10, I had to leave my childhood toys behind and wasn't allowed to replace them after moving. I compensated by getting very heavily into Legos, and my parents were OK with that.

On the plus side, as my 13th birthday present, I was given permission to take city buses by myself, with a requirement to be back before dark or by 8:00 PM, whichever is earlier. So I no longer had to beg and plead to go to a museum or my favorite store. I'd just take the bus fare and spending money from my allowance savings, get on a bus, and go to town. By myself, yes, but it was better than staying home.