Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Frostsorg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2013, 11:45 am

So yeah, I'm Norwegian, been living in Sweden though, for almost 10 years now. I'm 30 years old, and only got my diagnosis a year and a half ago. I find that growing up without a diagnosis has made me very insecure about a lot of things, like what's socially acceptable etc. I was never shy as a child, and didn't understand many of the social norms, leading to a lot of negative attention. I still fall into some traps to this day, but I feel more competent and confident at deciding for myself whether I think something is right or wrong. But pas experiences run deep when they go so far back, and I can feel insecure, even with things I don't really feel like there's something wrong with. I feel like I have some difficulties getting into communities like this, and kinda ridiculous writing about myself, so don't expect much from my profile. Better you ask me directly if you want to know something. I'm hoping that this is something people here can relate to though, so giving this place a shot. I have another illness that's made me housebound for the time being, and will keep me here for some time, so I feel the need to find alternate means for socializing. So here I am. Hi everyone o/

Not_Like_Them
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

Jag är också ny här. Är en svensk tjej på 23 år som har akut brist på bra vänner, och som vill lära känna andra med Asperger! Vad har du för intressen? =)

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm

Välkommen! aaaaaand that is the extent of my swedish...
:lol:

Frostsorg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm

That's very good :D And thank you!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

Welcome :D

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

Hi ya & Welcome

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:49 pm

Welcome!

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2013, 3:53 pm

Hej!

Like you I also live in Sweden. There are, perhaps, a few of us here.

I became a lot more insecure after getting my diagnosis, but you will figure everything out just fine. I have had my diagnosis for a while and it is still sinking in.

A welcome from me also!

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:55 pm

Welcome :)

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

Velkommen til Uriktig Kloden.

I think you're right about late-in-life diagnosis causing insecurity in social situations. We just didn't have any frame of reference for them when we were growing up.

Frostsorg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2013, 5:49 pm

Thanks so much everyone :)

Anotherswede, I actually was very happy when i finally got my diagnosis. Had been suspecting it for a few years, and unfortunately had to wait a long time to even get evaluated. It felt deliberating in a way, not sure how to describe it really. But it also was very good to know that the things I struggle with have a reason, and knowing that there are others struggling with the same things. We live in a society that's based around the norms, and the further you are from the norms, the more you're gonna struggle, since there's very little flexibility, _unless_ you have a diagnosis. It kinda sux if you ask me, since I think the system should be flexible enough to cherish every individuals differences and using them, rather then limiting them. I've never seen AS as an illness as such, having had friends with it since long before I even suspected I had it myself. I've always seen it more as a different set of skills in a way, that unfortunately sometimes make it difficult to fit in to the norms.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm

Welcome

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

Frostsorg wrote:
Thanks so much everyone :)

Anotherswede, I actually was very happy when i finally got my diagnosis. Had been suspecting it for a few years, and unfortunately had to wait a long time to even get evaluated. It felt deliberating in a way, not sure how to describe it really. But it also was very good to know that the things I struggle with have a reason, and knowing that there are others struggling with the same things. We live in a society that's based around the norms, and the further you are from the norms, the more you're gonna struggle, since there's very little flexibility, _unless_ you have a diagnosis. It kinda sux if you ask me, since I think the system should be flexible enough to cherish every individuals differences and using them, rather then limiting them. I've never seen AS as an illness as such, having had friends with it since long before I even suspected I had it myself. I've always seen it more as a different set of skills in a way, that unfortunately sometimes make it difficult to fit in to the norms.

Yes, when you know you have AS you know there are others alike you and others struggling with the same things. When I got my diagnosis I just think I had a really bad reaction, and I really thought I was so damaged and didn't really think that there were others like me. Now I know there are but very few. I know that waiting time for getting a diagnosis can be really long, and then the process you have to go through will take a while. Like a year I have heard. Maybe younger people have a shorter wait, but I don't know how that would work with "vårdgarantin". The good thing is that now perhaps you can get help if you think you need that. In that way we live in nice country. :)

With AS also everyone will like expect us to be NT, because they can't see anything with us that shows a disability. I struggle with so much but people can't see that, like I feel that there is less flexibility for us than with other disabilities. Now I never tell anyone about my diagnosis, I just manage the norms and try to be as normal as I can. I think I do that quite well but I don't really fit in and no one likes me anymore. (It is not that I am bad it's just that I have become socially shy and society demands perfect.) Like we have to be so perfect.

We are a bit different and I do hope I have some skills. That is a nice way of thinking about it. Like right now I have no idea what the future will hold for me. But I'll probably fit in somewhere. I do try to think positively. :)