Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 4:16 am

^May the skies be clear for you there, Erew! :)

I’m just back from driving far North along the English coastline. I was ever conscious of the moon, the tides, as I stayed in the top floor of an apartment at Filey Beach on the waterfront of the North Sea. Charlotte Bronte stayed there periodically and they have named the place she stayed after her. She wrote of the tides.

I captured a sunrise there …

A little Bronte …

I visited Whitby Abbey(which inspired Bram Stoker’s Dracula) …

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 2:09 pm

Beautifull pictures Juliette.
The picture with the bird reminds me to the movie "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull"
The picture with the house from Dracula give me also wings, not wings like a seagull have but spiritual wings.

Hot from the press. Photo was taken 5 minutes ago. She is currently 98.2%, in about 10 minutes she will light up my bedroom straight, she is currently also low on the horizon, which means that the moonlight in combination with my blinds will create a beautiful shadow play.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 2:35 pm

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 2:35 am

Thank you dear Sun.

I dont like it to look to myself, but i like it to look to myself from a distance, the sun makes it possible.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 4:58 pm

Juliette wrote:
A little Bronte …

Wow - I'm surprised by this! 8O

Jane Eyre wasn't rejected five times for publication!!

Back story:

Charlotte's first novel The Professor was intended to be published by Thomas Cautley Newby in a three-volume set along with Wuthering Heights and Anne's Agnes Grey, but The Professor was rejected for publication in that collection. As a result, Emily added a second volume to WH, to make WH / Agnes Grey into three-volumes, replacing The Professor.

Charlotte continued sending The Professor to other publishers, to no avail. Smith, Elder, and Co. encouraged her to begin a second novel for their consideration, so she began Jane Eyre straight away. Upon receipt, publisher George Smith was unable to put the novel down. He finished reading Jane Eyre within hours and accepted rights immediately. Jane Eyre was published very quickly in October 1847, within just six weeks of Charlotte completing the fair copy, and actually two months ahead of Newby's Wuthering Heights / Agnes Grey which had an unrelated publication delay.

Charlotte continued her attempts at publishing The Professor throughout her life but ultimately, the novel was rejected six times. It was published posthumously as her fourth novel after Jane Eyre, Shirley, and Villette.

Also, Charlotte received "the advice of Wordsworth and Southey ... " in 1837, ten years before she wrote novels or sought a publisher. This makes it sound like Southey rejected Jane Eyre, when in fact he never read any of Charlotte's manuscripts apart from her childhood and teenaged poetry -- which incidentally, was published in 1846.

Southey actually died four years before Jane was published.

Your photos are lovely Jules and I'm sorry for interjecting but I had to put the timeline right! :oops:

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:13 pm

Is, I trust you implicitly on this, aware of how into Bronte you are, so clearly, they need to get their facts sorted :).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm

Here's some of my sunset and moon photos!

Enjoy! :heart:

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 5:44 pm

^^Beautiful captures there, Is! Thanks for sharing! :heart:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 6:33 am

I'm delighted, well, it's better to say 'I'm in my craters'
Until 9 January, the moon can be admired in the Grote Kerk in Breda, it will probably not be the real one, because it does not float :) . In addition to that creative excess, there are also items in the exhibition with a scientific charge.
December 19, by the way, there is another full moon outside the church.

https://www.bndestem.nl/breda/kerk-en-s ... ~a57328ef/

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 1:54 pm

I like the peaceful mind from Donovan.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 4:39 am

Where would we be without the sun :?:
If we would be without the sun it would be pretty dark and pretty cold i suspect.
Our vitamin D content would also be minimal, evolution in itself would provide an answer/reaction, but still. On the part of the planet where i am staying, December 21 seems to be the shortest day, however, the moment that it stays light longer in the evening and the moment that it gets light earlier in the morning differ by about 4 weeks.
Fascinating, despite the fact that it is no more than a basic natural law that underlies this.

In a sense i have 2 sundials on my balcony. I experience one sundial at the beginning of the evening, and the other sundial i hear at the beginning of the morning. At the beginning of the evening a solar light comes on when it gets dark, and in the morning i hear the great tit waking up in his cupboard, and these 2 sundials run fairly parallel (not quite) with the rising and setting of the sun .

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:58 pm

Tonight its the first full moon of the year.
And today the 17e its a day called blue-monday.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 1:48 pm

^

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 2:21 pm

Full moon over the California redwoods

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 3:15 am

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm

On March 4, according to calculations, a crater will be added to the moon.
Some rocket that will collide with the moon.
Unfortunately we won't be able to see anything of the impact, because 2 days earlier it was just a new moon.

I think it will be a big crater, just read that the impact with a speed of 8,046.72 kilometers per hour 8O , and thats very fast in my view.

Sad that capitalism is beside damage the planet earth also going to damage the moon.