Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm

Beautifully written, Erewhon.

The February Full Moon is also known as the Eagle Moon, Bear Moon, Storm Moon, Hunger Moon or the Bony Moon.

The Moon goes through 12 or 13 full phases each year and they all have unique names many of them derived from Native American tribes.

Tribes such as the Algonquian peoples would use the Full Moon to keep track of the seasons. And according to the Maine Farmer's Almanac, native tribes in the northeastern US called this Full Moon the Snow Moon or the Storm Moon after heavy snow this time of the year.

There’s been cool, clear, crisp nights here, with warmer sunnier, blue sky days of late. The 26th Feb provided perfectly clear skies to see the Snow Moon here ... :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 2:47 pm

Every so-called “primitive” tribe uses the Moon and Sun as indispensable guides to many things.

Many nonhuman animals, too.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 2:34 pm

Remember the 1988 Film, 'Moonstruck?'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonstruc ... struck.jpg

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 9:07 pm

^^^I have a very vague memory of seeing Moonstruck at the cinema in Aus. My sister was taking me to the cinema from the time I was very young. She’s alot older than me which I’m so glad for, as not only was I exposed to great movies, but great music too, from her generation. Good to see Cher is still acting in movies!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 8:34 am

When Wubbo Ockels, Yury Gagarin, Tintin, Valentina Tereshkova, Professor Zonnebloem, Neil Armstrong, and all the others were shot into space, they had the most fear of the launch. That was the most dangerous part of it all, that annoying gravity. I came across a much safer way to travel to the moon this morning. :wink:
Immer gerade aus, as they would say in German. :mrgreen:
I think they need some sort of suspension bridge and gangway at the end to be able to set foot on the moon.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 2:08 pm

:o Soo beautiful! :heart: “Always straight ahead” ... yes ... In Aussie this would be “ Keep on keeping on”.

Moon River ...

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:22 am

Juliette wrote:
A Cornish Sunset over the Mine(Cornwall this past July)...

Do you mind me asking what mine that is?

My family are from Pendeen and the the Geevor & Levant mines have played a part in my families history. I have a relative that died in the 1919 disaster and my other relatives worked down there with my grandad working up top helping people clean up when they came out. Some still live down nearby and help with tourism around the mines and my uncle was recently on telly as part of some musical thing down in one of them. A family member of mine also runs the Western Australia Cornish Association, much of which is based around talking about the tin mines

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 6:01 pm

Hey Biscuitman ... that’s pretty amazing, yet at the same time, sad for those who perished. History to be proud of, for sure, so far as your family goes! Yes, that’s precisely where I was staying, Pendeen. A few more photos for you. Ironically, when I posted them on FB, a good friend in Australia(an ex-nurse) also had direct family history related to the tin mines here ... She’s planning to come over poste-covid and have a look herself. I’m thinking of moving to Pendeen or thereabouts permanently, funnily enough. I stayed in one of the miner’s cottages. It was just beautiful! The history blew me away! I learned of the full history while there(I managed to book the cottage after the first lockdown lifted here). The tours weren’t going on while I was there due to the virus, but I’ll be returning hopefully this year. The area is incredibly picturesque! They filmed Poldark in this very spot!

1849 Miners Cottage (one of the more senior miners lived here. I have his history).

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2021, 12:12 am

I like this thread! All the posts have been really nice.

I saw this quote on pinterest awhile back I really liked.

"And the moon said to me - darling you do not have to be whole in order to shine."

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 3:11 am

Spunge42 wrote:

"And the moon said to me - darling you do not have to be whole in order to shine."

A very nice quote Spunge42. A quote that you can look at from many sides, a literal rational side, a philosophical side, an encouraging side. For the coming night, people can also turn this quote around. Next night it will be 'new moon', which means that from the viewpoint from planet earth the moon will not shine, although it does not shine, it is round, it is a whole. The fact that I will not see it at all does not alter the fact that she will still be 'full'.

In the picture below you 'see' the new moon :idea:

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 4:11 pm

Spunge42 wrote:

Lovely quote, Spunge. :heart:

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2021, 11:20 pm

Thanks Juliette and Erewhon I like your perspective.

I'm posting a song by orbital called one perfect sunrise. I know this thread is about sunsets and moons. But the most beautiful night I ever experienced started out with a breathtaking sunrise. Actually, it's one of my fondest memories. One perfect day. I hope I can do it justice explaining it, but I'm not the best with words.

I was hiking in Israel. We got up early to climb Mount Solomon. Half way up we all stopped like mid climb to watch the sunrise. Words can't describe the beauty. And when we got to the top you can see 5 different countries from the peak. They all look the same. You can't tell where one ends and another begins...It puts things in perspective, like what are we fighting each other for?

After our descent and brunch we hiked the rest of the day and stopped to camp in the middle of the desert with the mountains behind us. The weather was so perfect we didn't even pitch tents, just layed our sleeping bags out around the fire. I got up in the middle of the night and decided to walk around, the fire had gone out. And what I experienced left me in awe. All I could see was stars. It literally felt like I was walking amongst the stars. I never wanted that moment to end.

Its one of the reasons I love the desert so much. I never knew what the word serenity meant till i spent time in the desert. Blessed stillness and quiet and cloudless skies so blue it made me want to cry. Nothing to cloud or obscure your vision, the sky as far as you can see. There was no moon insight that night. Just millions of stars. And the whole day started with one perfect sunrise.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 11:41 pm

That's a great poem. I love to watch sunsets and sun rises. Each sunset has it's own colour palette. I saw a black, red and yellow sun rise one time.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 12:29 pm

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 2:43 pm

Juliette wrote:
Hey Biscuitman ... that’s pretty amazing, yet at the same time, sad for those who perished. History to be proud of, for sure, so far as your family goes! Yes, that’s precisely where I was staying, Pendeen. A few more photos for you. Ironically, when I posted them on FB, a good friend in Australia(an ex-nurse) also had direct family history related to the tin mines here ... She’s planning to come over poste-covid and have a look herself. I’m thinking of moving to Pendeen or thereabouts permanently, funnily enough. I stayed in one of the miner’s cottages. It was just beautiful! The history blew me away! I learned of the full history while there(I managed to book the cottage after the first lockdown lifted here). The tours weren’t going on while I was there due to the virus, but I’ll be returning hopefully this year. The area is incredibly picturesque! They filmed Poldark in this very spot!

1849 Miners Cottage (one of the more senior miners lived here. I have his history).

Thanks for posting these up. What a small world!

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2021, 10:30 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's a great poem. I love to watch sunsets and sun rises. Each sunset has it's own colour palette. I saw a black, red and yellow sun rise one time.

Oh. Sorry if you were talking about what I wrote those were my own words. Part taken from my journal I kept while I lived in Israel. The song by orbital that I added from YouTube reminded me of that day. :oops: I realized I didn't really clarify at the beginning about that. For some reason that song always reminds me of hiking in the desert in Israel. :D