Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

I seem to have vivid memories of my childhood that are far earlier than most would expect.
I can recall memories of being taken in a pram around the walkway by Bondi Beach.
My parents moved with me from Bondi when I was 10 months old, so clearly my memories precede my first birthday.
I also remember swimming in the pool as a young baby, again prior to moving from the unit complex we were living in before I was a year old.
How early in life are the first memories of others?
Is it common for people on the spectrum to have memories prior to their first birthday?

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

I have vivid memories from before age 2, but there is no way to tell if they are before age 1 because they are of swimming (well, being held and moved around in the water) in a pool that I have not been to since age two, swimming in mommy and me swim lessons when I was apparently about or almost 2 (my mother can't remember), and my very first daycare class which I started at age one, I think. I also remember when my mother was trying to teach my big brother the alphabet and how to tell jokes, I couldn't have been one yet, for those, I suppose. I also remember looking down on the world form my highchair, which I believe I only used until age 1.5. I have many more memories from my VERY early life than anyone else I know.

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

I remember my mom singing me to sleep at night.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

I have vivid, easily recollectable memories from 4, some before that, but they are less distinct. I remember the interior of the house we lived in when I was an infant, and rolling about the house in a wheeled walker, but no distinct events.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:39 pm

I stopped remembering about 5 years ago.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:49 pm

First clear and vivid memory is from before 18 months.

I have even earlier but vague memories of being licked on the face by our Boxer dog and not enjoying it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

I have vivid memories from before the age of four but I don't know the actual ages.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:57 pm

about 2, I was in my crib which was next to my mother's bed, and one day I decided to crawl out of the crib and onto my mother's bed to be closer to her, and when I jumped upon the bed my mother went "HUH?" and promptly got up and put me back in the crib, then moved the crib away from her bed and against the wall. at that point I got angry and I started banging my head against the wall. then to keep from hearing that noise she put my crib into another room. I remember shortly afterwards at night, my father was watching something on the family's black and white console tv set, and I remember seeing the NAPA auto parts trapezoidal trademark symbol at the end of a commercial.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

Now that I'm thinking about it, the more I think the more I can remember.
I can remember looking at myself in the mirror and looking like my baby photos.
I can remember being taken for walks in the pram in the suburb we moved to, and the sound of my mothers voice telling me we were going to live here.
I can remember a photo session where I must have been about 6 months old, and they (my parents and photographer) were having me pose with a stuffed toy dog on a blanket, in a crawling pose.
I wasn't a crawler, I always rolled, and I remember them struggling to stop me from trying to roll away, when they wanted a photo of me crawling, which just wasn't my style.
I also have a vivid and disturbing memory of why I am anally retentive - literally.
I was needing to go to the toilet, I must have been about 2 years old (as my brother had not been born - he's 3 years younger).
I was walking down the hall to the toilet, but didn't make it, and I remember the feeling of a warm heavy object in the back of my pants, and my bowels failed me.
I don't so much remember my potty training, but I remember the last involuntary episode of crapping my pants as a very young child, and it not being as big an issue for my parents as for me.
I thought I was a big boy, and I should be able to control myself.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 5:27 pm

I recall lying in the crib, our dog at the time, and that kind of stuff. I was probably around a year old. I'm not really sure, but it was quite earlier than most people remember.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:32 pm

I have fragment memories of breast feeding and getting my diaper changed.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:37 pm

I remember going to the hospital and seeing my baby brother through the baby viewing windows. He was 1 1/2 years younger than me.

I have other memories from about that time such as being in a crib but I don't remember if they were before or after that.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm

Very early tactile and olfactory memories.
I remember smell of plastic of pram, sitting in the baby-seat in the car and the feeling of rocking in it side to side and biting into the material the seat was made of.
Remember first "rubbery" (not sure about expression) toy dog, the smell of it, biting into it without teeth and the sound it made and hitting myself with it (on the head).
Some early month memory, but do not know the exact age.
Have more similar memories, but no interpretation to it.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:26 pm

The oldest memory I can remember is my grandmother looking at me and touching my hand.

I was neither 1 year old when my grandmother lived next to my parents' house.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:32 pm

I remember the night my sister was born when I was 3. after that, nothing until the first day of kindergarten.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:09 pm

I have a lot of memories from early childhood starting from ~1 yo. I even remember some of my dreams starting from I'd say 2-3 yo. My family moved when I was 4 so I have a pretty good idea of how old I was during those memories based on location and other events.