Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:32 am

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freak ... 6695388081

According to WBIR-TV, the parents were in court in eastern Tennessee because they could not agree on the seven-month-old baby's last name.

When the judge heard his first name, she ordered it changed, so the baby is now called "Martin DeShawn McCullough".

That name includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, says she will appeal.

She says Messiah is unique.

Messiah is number four among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freak ... z2bjKFdfMo

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 12:41 am

On the one hand the judge's reasoning run's counter to the spirit of the law. On the other, the two parents should have been able to come up with an agreement before leaving it up to a judge.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:48 am

it seems obvious they will split and fight over custody.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2013, 12:50 am

Why is the US government allowed to change this kids name? (rhetorical question) Seems a little ridiculous.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2013, 12:56 am

Ah, I see, parents being idiots then. Sorry, missed that part.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:59 am

Mack27 wrote:
On the one hand the judge's reasoning run's counter to the spirit of the law. On the other, the two parents should have been able to come up with an agreement before leaving it up to a judge.

It is bad that the judge had to rule on the kid's name in the first place.

Last edited by tweety_fan on 12 Aug 2013, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 1:00 am

parents being idiots cause way too many problems.
Until they can find a way to stop idiots from reproducing, without getting civil libertarians up in arms this problem will not be resolved.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:04 am

I wouldn't want to be named messiah, but it should not be up to the judge. some countries only let citizens pick from an approved list of names, but the US is not one of them. she'll probably win her appeal.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:00 am

His nickname would be 'messy' 8O

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:00 am

It's kind of sad that the parents needed court intervention with the name in the first place, but the court-ordered first-name change seems out of line, and strikes me as overbearing religious conservatism. I suppose some Christians might not like the idea of naming a child Messiah, but it's not like it's an inappropriate name. Quite honestly, unless a name is blatantly profane or lewd, I don't think that a judge should have any right to order it changed.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 10:00 am

Sona_21 wrote:
Why is the US government allowed to change this kids name? (rhetorical question) Seems a little ridiculous.

There is no such power given in the U.S. Constitution.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

PresidentPorpoise wrote:
It's kind of sad that the parents needed court intervention with the name in the first place, but the court-ordered first-name change seems out of line, and strikes me as overbearing religious conservatism. I suppose some Christians might not like the idea of naming a child Messiah, but it's not like it's an inappropriate name. Quite honestly, unless a name is blatantly profane or lewd, I don't think that a judge should have any right to order it changed.

If a court can order a child's name be changed from Messiah, wouldn't said court be able to tell Latinos they could no longer call their boys Jesus? I know, that's an exaggeration.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:13 pm

It's the parents fault for letting it get so far that a judge had to decide ANYTHING.
Dumb asses.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:51 pm

I find it ironic that the jesus a**holes whine incessantly about 'activist judges' but here they are doing the same thing.

Judge4Je$u$ wrote:

Tennessee Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew has ordered the name change, saying Messiah is a title that has been earned by one person "and that one person is Jesus Christ".

This infringes on the separation of church and state, and is easily appealable. --The judge is deserving of a strong reprimand at the very least.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm

Fogman wrote:
I
This infringes on the separation of church and state, and is easily appealable. --The judge is deserving of a strong reprimand at the very least.

In eastern Tennessee?
Good luck with that. :lol:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fogman wrote:
I

In eastern Tennessee?
Good luck with that. :lol:

State Supreme Court, If that fails, US Court of Appeals, and finally US Supreme Court.