Example of breakup in adult AS book... is this typical?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2007, 11:32 am

Has anyone read the book, 'Solutions for Adults with Asperger's Syndrome' by Dr. Juanita P. Lovett? I bought it (among others) because I was together with a man with AS. In the first chapter, there's a section involving a man with AS whohas come into consuling with his wife, who he wants to divorce. He's been having an affair with another woman and can't understand why his wife is upset. He knows that his decision may be wrong, but once he's made up his mind, he just can't change it. He just wants to get the whole thing over with and has no conception of her hurt and the consequences. Ideally, he would like to like to live with both women and after a few months, figure out who he wants to stay with. The coldness and insensitivity of this really scares me.

The man that I was involved with acted sort of like this (I wrote about it in my post 'Just been dumped...' THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO REPLIED). Apart from his three-sentence email informing me that he found someone else, I never heard anything from him again.

As I said in my previous post, there was so much that I loved about him. I wouldn't rule out perhaps getting involved with an Aspie again, however, after what happened with him and reading about examples of men like the guy in the above book, I am very, very wary and scared of meeting someone like this again.

I know that NT guys can be cold and cruel, also. It's that I'm scared of the lack of empathy and
understanding, the complete unawareness, the detached way, etc. that was exhibited by my ex and other AS men in the book. The resistance or inability to change, even to try and work things out, scared me, also.

Do you think this is atypical behaviour? Have any Aspie guys out there dealt with a breakup or divorce like this? BTW, the book I mentioned, I think, is a great on explaining relationships and other adult issues.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 1:06 pm

greetings Riverdale.

Interesting.

vedy interesting.

However, my breakup was a bit odd.

I am a (guy) 19 year old freshman in college, who dated a 27 year (girl) old freshman. Her breakup came from the fact that she felt it just wasn't going to work out. we still were friends, then a month later, I sorta guess I did something wrong, by apparently pursuing her and apparently stalking her. she then preceded to hate me and say that she never liked me in the firisit place, the only reason she dated me was because of pressure from her roommate. she now hates me totally, but I don't really care.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 1:13 pm

Didn't Juanita Lovett write a book which received a lot of criticism?

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2007, 3:25 pm

Gamester wrote:
greetings Riverdale.

Interesting.

vedy interesting.

I am a (guy) 19 year old freshman in college, who dated a 27 year (girl) old freshman. Her breakup came from the fact that she felt it just wasn't going to work out. we still were friends, then a month later, I sorta guess I did something wrong, by apparently pursuing her and apparently stalking her. she then preceded to hate me and say that she never liked me in the firisit place, the only reason she dated me was because of pressure from her roommate. she now hates me totally, but I don't really care.

Hello Gamester :)

I'm sorry to hear about that breakup. I can understand about the pursuing and stalking. I have come close to that. I am really trying to stop thinking about this guy because I know that it isn't healthy. So far, I have resisted the urge to contact him because I know that it's pointless. I think what that girl said to you was really cruel, and she never should have dated you if she didn't care for you.
Good for you for getting past her!

What is up with your avatar (is that the correct word?) Your other one was happier.

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2007, 3:35 pm

deep-techno wrote:
Didn't Juanita Lovett write a book which received a lot of criticism?

I don't know. Has anyone heard anything about this? I thought the book was excellent. In fact, I was going to seek out consuling with her for myself and my ex (he had agreed to go before he broke off with me).

almarzhm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2007, 4:13 pm

Hi RiverDale,

I agree with you..I read lots of books on AS and in my opinion this book is by far the best. Its targeting the higher functioning ones...Adult issues..provides real solutions for real life problems..the author is an expert on her field..

But of course Aspies are different....when i look at myself i know that attaching myself emotinally to someone will always be hard, sometimes impossible....logic is what works with my mind..while love is not an easy concept...

caramel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2007, 7:04 pm

Gamester wrote:
greetings Riverdale.

Interesting.

vedy interesting.

Awwww its my younger brother!
Heyyyyy... i didn't know you had broken up with her (i think i might've known- but i think i forgot... :oops:) i'm very sorry, brother! :cry: but you know (like you were for me) i'm here for you...i think when we are confused about things often times we find ourselves "obesessing" about an individual... you know my situation well and you can remember (and i still do it now) that i do obsess over the guy.... still... :?

and in the best and worst of times i say "screw the b***h"...you're far too inquisitive and too great of a catch that she'll have definitely missed out and i doubt she'll find someone as good as you (although i'm sure you're over her...) i think the only thing that gets me by sometimes is the thought that the guy i liked (or in your case the girl or in riverdales case the guy) will never find anyone like us and for that fact and that fact alone, will be strongly affected for the rest of their lives with that feeling that something is missing...

caramel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2007, 7:22 pm

Ayyyyy. how are you, friend? Its nice to hear you holding up well and that you're questioning your situation... i think the more we question, as people, the more we realize the mistakes our partners (or we made) and the pitfalls that never have to trap us again because we're wiser and better for it all...

i can relate to that feeling that the man in Dr. Juanita's book has.... the guy i like at work told me flat out he didn't want me and the way it rolled off his tongue was so vicious but the way he said it was matter-of-factly and singed me from head to toe... i think maybe some men with AS can press the panic button a little too quickly without thinking of the consequences the actions have on the involved party and without realizing that said actions were not so hot for the situation...

i think (and this is just my rationale here, folks) that maybe the reason your ex (and the man in the book) came off so cold and insensitive is that because some aren't as adept at knowing social norms they make decisions without thinking that they are wrong for the don't know what is right (not that they don't know morally... but just don't know any other way).....

there was so much i liked about "my guy" too....i can relate even more with you on this fact....if i could be honest with you riverdale (and i respect you very much) i think the same risk you take with NT's are the same you take with aspies and, in all honesty, i don't believe aspies can be anymore loyal than your average NT- i think that might be were you underestimated him (and i underestimated my guy) and i think that baited the trap... for both of us... we took risks and although they blew up in our faces it gives us the reality to make better relationships which i'm all for...

I think i read once that no two aspies are alike- so with the next guy maybe he'll be able to support every part of you in ways your ex didn't and remove you of the fear of you next partner not caring and being cold and cruel...i think as in any relationship it'll be hard work- but rewarding work :wink: and that you shouldn't let that fear of perhaps the next partners afflictions darken your heart in the least...

i honestly still like my aspie guy and i think i was offended that one day he basically told me to screw myself and is now working extra hard to be apart of my life... :? whatever the hell that means...i'm a big believer of once i get rejected then don't bother with me, in any context, ever again... yet he keeps popping into my life and spends whole days at work staring at me and coming near me (and staring down my boyfriend for that matter).... so i don't know what the hell any of that is but i'm learning to just be passive and let it roll off my shoulders...

btw, its nice to hear from you again! :heart:

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 7:24 pm

Riverdale wrote:
He's been having an affair with another woman and can't understand why his wife is upset.

I honestly don't know how one couldn't understand why their wife would be upset by an affair :?

But I don't know how I would dump a girl, because I've always been the dump-ee. But I do know that I wouldn't have an affair, or "find someone else."

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2007, 9:11 pm

I've always been the "dumper" except my first relationship. He said that he needed to focus on his schoolwork, and since he had been dating me, his grades were failing. He showed me all his bad grades. I got honour roll that term and offered to help him study, but he said, "That wouldn't work." Something about his ADHD. So I went home that day to contemplate this. I had been thinking about dumping him, because I felt bored and ignored, but I hadn't thought of a way to bring it up.

My next boyfriend and I dated for four years. He liked to play soccer, and worked for a automobile company. I was about 20 when he asked me to marry him. I didn't want to marry him, because he had a seizure and had been acting strangely ever since. When brain trauma occurs, personality can change. He turned into a real jerk and even hit me on one occasion. I paid his way so we could go on a vacation (a cruise) but all he did was gamble, gamble, gamble. At least he gambled enough to pay me back, geez. Also, he never wanted to have a sexual relation after he was put on his meds, not even on the cruise.

After that 4 year relationship, I met a new guy, and we had many similar interests. Made a bad choice and slept with him. Prior to taking his virginity, I stated our relationship was going to be sexual (friends with benefits) and he agreed to this. After about two weeks of this nonsense, he confesses his love for me. Basically, I didn't want to see him after that. Casual relationships for teh lose.

These are my thoughts on my breakups. I know I can be a cold person. I have never stepped out of any established relationship rules, at least. I made most everyone upset, but I'm not sure if one can always avoid that. Also, the man I dated for four years? I found this to be a little humourous, looking back: When I stated that our relationship was over, he began singing "Foreigner: Cold as Ice". Would have been cute under different circumstances.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 10:25 pm

caramel wrote:
Gamester wrote:
greetings Riverdale.

Interesting.

vedy interesting.

Awwww its my younger brother!
Heyyyyy... i didn't know you had broken up with her (i think i might've known- but i think i forgot... :oops:) i'm very sorry, brother! :cry: but you know (like you were for me) i'm here for you...i think when we are confused about things often times we find ourselves "obesessing" about an individual... you know my situation well and you can remember (and i still do it now) that i do obsess over the guy.... still... :?

and in the best and worst of times i say "screw the b***h"...you're far too inquisitive and too great of a catch that she'll have definitely missed out and i doubt she'll find someone as good as you (although i'm sure you're over her...) i think the only thing that gets me by sometimes is the thought that the guy i liked (or in your case the girl or in riverdales case the guy) will never find anyone like us and for that fact and that fact alone, will be strongly affected for the rest of their lives with that feeling that something is missing...

Heya sis.

yeah. the breakup was back in November. However her hating me happened in December. first weekend, so it weren't all that bad. because it made me realize that I can do better. Thankfully no one is holding it against me....not even her friends....I think.

But I have learned that sometimes I need to be careful, that I don't come off quite as a jerk. anyhow. hope all is going well with you and your man. Sounds like your "crush" may be having to deal with the consequences of rejecting you. I even saw that coming, but wow. staring down your man? Hmm. Interesting.

However. I'm much happier being single. though sometimes I get a bit jealous of all the couples I know, to me, I just realize what it will feel like when I finally get my due.

Hello Gamester Smile--from Riverdale

I'm sorry to hear about that breakup. I can understand about the pursuing and stalking. I have come close to that. I am really trying to stop thinking about this guy because I know that it isn't healthy. So far, I have resisted the urge to contact him because I know that it's pointless. I think what that girl said to you was really cruel, and she never should have dated you if she didn't care for you.
Good for you for getting past her!

What is up with your avatar (is that the correct word?) Your other one was happier.

Hi Riverdale. I changed my avy cause I needed something that more reflected me and my personality. I wanted a pic of me, but my camera doesn't take small enough gig pics. and the picture was the second best thing that I could find on my photosite.

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 5:15 pm

almarzhm wrote:
Hi RiverDale,

I agree with you..I read lots of books on AS and in my opinion this book is by far the best. Its targeting the higher functioning ones...Adult issues..provides real solutions for real life problems..the author is an expert on her field..

But of course Aspies are different....when i look at myself i know that attaching myself emotinally to someone will always be hard, sometimes impossible....logic is what works with my mind..while love is not an easy concept...

Hi almarzhm,

It's nice to hear from you again :D

I'm glad that you read the book. I think that it will be a big help to you in your relationships,
especially. Don't say that word 'impossible'! You will meet someone! Let me know how you're doing, ok?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 5:19 pm

Gamester wrote:
I wanted a pic of me, but my camera doesn't take small enough gig pics.

Ooh, I don't know... resize them?

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 5:48 pm

caramel wrote:
Ayyyyy. how are you, friend? Its nice to hear you holding up well and that you're questioning your situation... i think the more we question, as people, the more we realize the mistakes our partners (or we made) and the pitfalls that never have to trap us again because we're wiser and better for it all...

i can relate to that feeling that the man in Dr. Juanita's book has.... the guy i like at work told me flat out he didn't want me and the way it rolled off his tongue was so vicious but the way he said it was matter-of-factly and singed me from head to toe... i think maybe some men with AS can press the panic button a little too quickly without thinking of the consequences the actions have on the involved party and without realizing that said actions were not so hot for the situation...

i think (and this is just my rationale here, folks) that maybe the reason your ex (and the man in the book) came off so cold and insensitive is that because some aren't as adept at knowing social norms they make decisions without thinking that they are wrong for the don't know what is right (not that they don't know morally... but just don't know any other way).....

there was so much i liked about "my guy" too....i can relate even more with you on this fact....if i could be honest with you riverdale (and i respect you very much) i think the same risk you take with NT's are the same you take with aspies and, in all honesty, i don't believe aspies can be anymore loyal than your average NT- i think that might be were you underestimated him (and i underestimated my guy) and i think that baited the trap... for both of us... we took risks and although they blew up in our faces it gives us the reality to make better relationships which i'm all for...

I think i read once that no two aspies are alike- so with the next guy maybe he'll be able to support every part of you in ways your ex didn't and remove you of the fear of you next partner not caring and being cold and cruel...i think as in any relationship it'll be hard work- but rewarding work :wink: and that you shouldn't let that fear of perhaps the next partners afflictions darken your heart in the least...

i honestly still like my aspie guy and i think i was offended that one day he basically told me to screw myself and is now working extra hard to be apart of my life... :? whatever the hell that means...i'm a big believer of once i get rejected then don't bother with me, in any context, ever again... yet he keeps popping into my life and spends whole days at work staring at me and coming near me (and staring down my boyfriend for that matter).... so i don't know what the hell any of that is but i'm learning to just be passive and let it roll off my shoulders...

btw, its nice to hear from you again! :heart:

Hi Caramel :D

It's nice to hear from you again, too!

I have posted a bit more on my 'Just been dumped' thread. I wanted to get some feedback on this book and specifically, the example about the guy cheating on his wife and wanting a divorce.

I don't know what is going on with the guy that was so cruel to you. Why is he still paying attention when he rebuffed you is beyond me. I thought that Aspies weren't into playing those head games (I thought NT's had the market cornered with that). Good for you for ignoring him and staying with your guy. BTW, how are things going with him? I thought I read on one of your posts that he was abusive (I hope that I'm wrong).

I know that NT guys can be unfeeling as*holes, also. It's just I thought my ex, even though he couldn't really show empathy, etc. really cared for me and couldn't, deep down, do something like he did. I guess because, he had AS (99% sure) I thought that he was more sensitive, innocent, not intentionally hurtful, etc. etc. He had me fooled with the whole, 'I'm such a geek,
I don't know what I'm doing, no one understands me, etc. spiel. He kept on telling me how he had never met someone who was so compatible with him as me, blah, blah. I guess when he met this other women on holiday, he cared so little for me that I (and our almost two years) went right out the window of his brain. The way he acted reminded me so of the example of the man in the book. Yes, I agree. I think I did underestimate him, big time.

Biosphere has a thread about relationships in this forum saying how he (even though he's never been in a relationship) couldn't see himself staying with one woman because he would get bored, and that he would leave her. That kind of thinking is what unsettles me.

Caramel, thank you. I respect you, too. I'm glad to hear that you're ok :heart:

caramel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2007, 11:22 am

Hey Riverdale! :heart:
Just got your PM!! :wink:
How've you been, friend?

It seems that the guy that was cruel to me now pays EXTRA attention to me.... in fact, the other day i was at my job with my now boyfriend and he was staring us both down but funny enough, i found that he was following us around the place and staring at me... i'm not quite sure i know what he's doing but i'm thinking either maybe he likes me and realizes that he made a mistake or he wants to know how deep the relationship is with my boyfriend so he can determine if theres a chance for him?..hmmmm :? lol i actually didn't know they weren't into playing head games- i knew they could be blunt (how true this is...lol especially when he turned me down)... its hard to ignore him because i feel everything in my heart is telling me to take him on... so i don't really know what i'll end up doing-- i guess i should just let time determine it for me? lol... so much confusion!

things are going okay with my boyfriend! he doesn't like that i still feel something for "my" aspie and he damn sure doesn't like going to my job getting stared down so the whole situation has him quite upset... in fact he thinks i'll leave him for "my" aspie... i don't really know what the hell i'm doing im just glad i'm not scheduled to work with "my" aspie again for a while because it'll give me some time to steer clear of thinking about it all... you are so true that NTs can be unfeeling as*holes.... i think no matter whether you're on the spectrum or not, deep down personal agendas don't stop even the most well-intentioned of people...now my question for you is did your ex know he had AS? did he let on to you that he might've known?

Can i tell you what i suspect? that perhaps he really did believe and was feeling that "he was such a geek,
he didn't know what he was doing, no one understood him, etc." but maybe once he found someone offline he jumped for the opportunity? i know with the boyfriend i had now (we met offline in case i didn't say) he was kind of playing both sides- he was online hitting on me and he was offline hitting on girls he knew... i don't believe he felt one shred of pity for the games he played with me... but then again he was 16 at the time and i was only 18 (although i didn't know that immeadiately- damned liars!! ! lol)... i know if i ever broke up with my boyfriend i'd probably never would do another online relationship because they are so very taxing to your heart and emotional stability....

I don't know about you but when i found out my now boyfriend had cheated on me (he's done it more times than he should've gotten away with) i needed details in order to put my heart at rest.... i'm just curious how they met? what the hell was so compelling about this other woman that he would toss away such a good relationship? i would need details to feel less bad about the whole situatiion... (ohhh i know i'm strange... i think i just like reveling in how bad i feel sometimes... :cry: )....i think its ridiculous.... so many complain of not having a relationship but then complain that they couldn't stay faithful... isn't that the whole beautiful part of a relationship? staying faithful and honeswt to the person that you're with? i think its a beautiful thing that you aren't just settling for whats going on, but you're digesting it and raising questions... we surely know it WASNT you who messed up... watch, he'll probably regret (if he doesn't already) his decision, i bet it!!

Awwww no problem friend! You've helped me far more than you know to figure out how i feel about my own situation and you've given me much perspective....which i certainly appreciate!

caramel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2007, 11:29 am

Gamester wrote:
Heya sis.

yeah. the breakup was back in November. However her hating me happened in December. first weekend, so it weren't all that bad. because it made me realize that I can do better. Thankfully no one is holding it against me....not even her friends....I think.

But I have learned that sometimes I need to be careful, that I don't come off quite as a jerk. anyhow. hope all is going well with you and your man. Sounds like your "crush" may be having to deal with the consequences of rejecting you. I even saw that coming, but wow. staring down your man? Hmm. Interesting.

However. I'm much happier being single. though sometimes I get a bit jealous of all the couples I know, to me, I just realize what it will feel like when I finally get my due.

Heyyy!!
I'm glad for you that it didn't happen all at once- although it makes her look pretty dumb that she would hate you AFTER everything went down... seems backwards and almost as if it were a vanity issue. Like she wanted to twist the knife deeper to make herself feel better and otherwise more desired by you. It doesn't even seem like she disliked you for any justifiable reason so i'm thinking i could be right perhaps...

I think sometimes, naturally enough, we lower our standards because we don't believe we deserve better because the way we look, talk, speak, act, etc., i'm still trying to find someone that honestly loves me for everything i stand for- even the flaws (especially the flaws! lol)....but i think we need to not slight our chances at a mate because we don't think we deserve it... we all deserve someone that makes us happy and completes us- we just have to aim higher...I think we can all act stupid and jerky but thats apart of what makes us lovable as humans... if she didn't accept that then its most definitely her loss!

Were doing okay.... i think we distancing a bit from each other because my feelings for "my" aspie guy haven't died down- in fact they've been rising daily and its become quite a challenge to function normally... I think he's totally dealing with the consequences.....He stares at me... goes out of his way to come to my work space asking me questions and striking up conversation and everything.... i wish i could pick his brain for 5 minutes to even see what he's thinking cos none of that seems logical... lol you saw that coming? Well Gee, I certainly didn't (thanks for the warning bro! lol j/k) ! I was shocked... and it confused me...

I think i'd be much more happier being single right now... i think i crave close connection with another human being but i'd prefer to be alone under the circumstances. Thats what i think is beautiful and slightly terrible about love... it doesn't come when you expect it or want it... it comes when everything else in your life is a mess and when you least expect it.... and once it hits you (by the right woman might i add!) you'll realize all this longing and waiting wasn't for nothing.... and it'll make you happy that you've dodged all these live bullets! lol

and hell she doesn't know what she's missing! :heart: