Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Death_aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2007, 4:18 pm

In my opinion, a lot of aspies bare similarities to idiot savants, since those with AS almost always have a great talent in some subject or another. The downside of having a special talent for someone with AS is the tendency to focus on that subject alone, and thus they fail to get a well-rounded education. Some say these narrow interests are beneficial to a person because they allow him/her to excel more in that subject more than others, but I think it's a horrible part of AS. These narrow interests are definitely far more damaging than they are good due to the neglection of other subjects.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 Jan 2007, 4:32 pm

I guess that true if your interest has little economic value. My interest was chemistry (less so now) and I very weak in English,
writing, reading, etc. But I could get a job pretty easy with my
chemistry skills.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 5:58 pm

Death_aspie wrote:
In my opinion, a lot of aspies bare similarities to idiot savants, since those with AS almost always have a great talent in some subject or another. The downside of having a special talent for someone with AS is the tendency to focus on that subject alone, and thus they fail to get a well-rounded education. Some say these narrow interests are beneficial to a person because they allow him/her to excel more in that subject more than others, but I think it's a horrible part of AS. These narrow interests are definitely far more damaging than they are good due to the neglection of other subjects.

WOW, you have us all figured out, HUH!? GEE, I guess I am UNIQUE after all! One thing though! I guess all those people talking about 100+ IQs(most were 130 to 160) aren't unique ALSO! But then I guess that kind of blows your theory, huh?

BTW My interests aren't that narrow anyway, and I am not SO absorbed with my interests that I do nothing else.

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 9:37 pm

I think my interests are pretty wide-ranging. English and languages were also my strong subjects. Everything I have ever been interested in is stored in my memory.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 10:06 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I think my interests are pretty wide-ranging. English and languages were also my strong subjects. Everything I have ever been interested in is stored in my memory.

Same here! My interests ALSO included Electronics, Computers, Mechanics, Aviation, Chemistry, and related disciplines. Gee, I got some of the highest scores on ASVAB because of that. I felt like I was being STALKED by the military, before I even got out of highschool.

I can't say I know everything about them. Then again, anyone that says they do is a liar. I CAN say I know a LOT more about them than most, including many taking them as majors in College!

Funny thing about interests.... They CAN change! And, like 9catmom implied, they can be hard to forget. ALSO, I don't know if it is an autistic trait or what, but my memory is almost like memory on the apple II in that accessing part of the discipline often refreshes the rest, and helps in its recall.

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 10:28 am

Generally, those considered savants are severely disabled, needing help for the basic tasks of everyday life. Kim Peek, one of the highest functioning savants, relies on his father for the basics of daily life, even though he has a good memory and learning ability for absorbing factual material.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 12:30 pm

There's a high correlation between Savant Syndrome and ASDs, yes.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 12:31 pm

9CatMom wrote:
Generally, those considered savants are severely disabled, needing help for the basic tasks of everyday life. Kim Peek, one of the highest functioning savants, relies on his father for the basics of daily life, even though he has a good memory and learning ability for absorbing factual material.

Anyone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, including Aspergers, can be dxed with Savant Syndrome.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 2:50 pm

Sophist,

You are right, but you are implying that Death_aspie's implications are correct. THAT is wrong! AS specifically requires that AS people NOT be idiots! They can't be idiot savants. They CAN be savanters though. HEY, I ADMIRE the talents that kim peek has. They are incredible, etc.... I would NEVER want to be where he is though.

Frankly, my memory is NOTHING compared to his! Math is NOTHING compared to his. Still, in nearly every other way I am better, and like where I am. Now if I could get the talents he has, and otherwise be the same, THAT would be great!

Most here would probably happily say the same.

Steve

willow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:43 pm

Death_aspie wrote:

way to cubbyhole a diverse group of people.

10/10 FTL.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:56 pm

SteveK wrote:
Sophist,

You are right, but you are implying that Death_aspie's implications are correct. THAT is wrong! AS specifically requires that AS people NOT be idiots! They can't be idiot savants. They CAN be savanters though. HEY, I ADMIRE the talents that kim peek has. They are incredible, etc.... I would NEVER want to be where he is though.

Frankly, my memory is NOTHING compared to his! Math is NOTHING compared to his. Still, in nearly every other way I am better, and like where I am. Now if I could get the talents he has, and otherwise be the same, THAT would be great!

Most here would probably happily say the same.

Steve

I didn't address it because "idiot savant" is an obsolete term.