Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 10:40 pm

I thought psychotropics were contraindicated for children under 18. I'd be raising hell with whoever put him on this medication.

Have you tried any natural herbs, like chamomile tea or skullcap to relieve the anxiety he has in addition to CBT or DBT?

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2013, 8:17 pm

Personally, I would not put a young child with a developing brain on psychotropic medications. There are too many unknowns when it comes to growing children. My standpoint comes from being someone who has tried a ridiculous number of these types of medications and who has a 5-year-old boy who has also been deemed "defiant" by his teachers and who has symptoms of separation anxiety.

Unless the child is a danger to himself or others, I'd say therapy and patience are better than drugs. I won't gamble with his development, but I will help him cope with his issues in ways that are less risky.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

gretchyn wrote:
Personally, I would not put a young child with a developing brain on psychotropic medications. There are too many unknowns when it comes to growing children. My standpoint comes from being someone who has tried a ridiculous number of these types of medications and who has a 5-year-old boy who has also been deemed "defiant" by his teachers and who has symptoms of separation anxiety.

Unless the child is a danger to himself or others, I'd say therapy and patience are better than drugs. I won't gamble with his development, but I will help him cope with his issues in ways that are less risky.

Personally, I wouldn't put anyone on these pills, as a lot of studies are now showing these medications are no better than a placebo. In a few cases, the placebo performed better than the medications.