Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2007, 6:34 am

Well I came to WP to meet people like me, because I spend an awful lot of time around NT's.

That's my two pence worth.

kayetes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2007, 6:38 am

Devin_J wrote:
It seems to me that a place like this is only of isolation from the real world. '

So you can find the 'real world' in other forums (???)
What's a real world anyway, life's a dream :)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 2:39 pm

Devin_J wrote:
It seems to me that a forum like this is aimed at people with aspergers. I am one of them. Why would I, why should I join?

Why should I join a community full of those who have aspergers, when it would only serve as a crutch?

Do you view autistic people as so inferior that you can only see yourself as being dragged down by proximity to us? What does this say about how you view yourself.

Quote:
It seems to me that a place like this is only of isolation from the real world. 'Aspies' talking about things.

Autistic people are part of the real world, and we can talk to each other.

Quote:
Why not talk, as practice, with people who are normal (by definition)?

Why does talk have to be "practice"? Is talk "practice" for non-autistic people, or do they talk to people because they enjoy talking to them?

Quote:
If one has a bit of trouble with social situations, why would that person join a chat room only for people with such troubles, such an understanding environment, where normal social interaction is not necessarily required, and abnormal behavior excusable?

Why wouldn't they?

Quote:
After all, you might say, we have aspergers. Forgive and forget. Conversely, why would somebody with no social trouble, or very little, come to a place full of it?

Why would I want to join this? I ask this, not out of anger, or out of ill-will, but as an honest question. Why?

Because you liked the people here? If you don't, then I don't see a point. But the way you talk seems to include some weird fear of getting autie-cooties from us or something.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 2:41 pm

Devin_J wrote:
It's not so much that I want anyone to be fixed, rather, I don't agree with any glorification of a lack of social skills, which I have seen here already.

Autism isn't a lack of social skills.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 2:43 pm

SteveK wrote:
SAME HERE! This whole week has been troll week! I avoided this up to now but, WHAT THE HECK! Support, Information, Advocacy is all here. CRUTCH????? I haven't seen much of that at all here! If it was mostly a crutch, I would LEAVE!

I don't even like the crutch analogy to begin with. Crutches are things people use to get around if they have trouble walking. Saying "crutch" in this context always conjures the image that disabled people are just lazy or something.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 10:17 pm

How often does a person use a crutch unless they really need it anyways? In the literal sense. How many nonphysically impaired people walk around with crutches? Unless they're trying to get sympathy. But I haven't personally met anyone like this yet-- at least not of the limping-crutch variety.

Such a silly metaphor...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:05 am

Troll or "curious aspie"....I think you need a lot of work on your social skills.You come across as insulting,prejudicial and narrow minded as well as lacking general logical progression of thought process(although I can only evaluate your thoughts by your words,as my psychic ability is lacking).I personaly dont understand why you, or others who find this site not to your liking/benifit, dont just avoid it.I have visited several sites that didnt fit what I was looking for and didnt stay around.

Here is something you can learn in your interactions with NT's......"If you cant say something nice,dont say any thing at all".

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 11:10 am

I find it comforting to read about things that people say/do/think and know I'm not alone, that other people do know about some of the issues I'm going through and can idebntify with me and in certain situations, offer advice that I may find helpfdul.

I also like to post advice if I have some and someone posts something I feel it is relative to.

JulieArticuno

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:32 pm

Brendan wrote:
My views would probably read something like those just expressed by game_developer. I do, however, also agree with a lot of what nb411 said.

I would very much like to post my own personal views in full; however, I have just come home from work and am too worn out from trying to fit in with NT's all day. As the Americans say, "go figure".

:? Brendan

By all means...go ahead. I am interested to know what you did and didn't agree with.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 8:00 pm

It's too much of a hassle for me to socialize with normal people, and that's why I come here.