Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2013, 3:30 pm

Sometimes I think I might be faking it by semi-consciously amplifying symptoms. I want to have Asperger's or and ASD because it would explain away many things and would excuse some of my behaviors. But I honestly don't think I can tell if I'm actually exaggerating things or not when taking the online tests for example. I also have never claimed to anyone to have anything and am telling myself I'm NT unless I get an actual diagnosis. Perhaps many of these people delude themselves into thinking they have autism and don't mean any actual harm.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
I was surprised to learn that there are people who actually pretend to have autism because they think it's cool. What kind of sick twisted mind would think it is fun to be this way? Are they sadists who simply enjoy watching misery and want a taste? I wish I could fake being normal and not have panic attacks in social situations . Why would they think it is fun to have no friends or not understand why someone is screaming at you because of something you said?
NTs who are so stupid there thinking it is a new fashion trend, well my brother had pretended to have a Tourette to shout slurs in his class for fun(didnt worked for him :wink: ) well they can as said here many times just looking for atention (why NTs are so overly obsesed with atention :( )

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 5:24 pm

themanfromuranus wrote:
my brother had pretended to have a Tourette to shout slurs in his class for fun

tourette's sydrome is no fun. i have it. it is like having an itch that i just cannot relieve.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
themanfromuranus wrote:
my brother had pretended to have a Tourette to shout slurs in his class for fun

tourette's sydrome is no fun. i have it. it is like having an itch that i just cannot relieve.

sorry if my post had ofended you, i didnt wanted it to be offensive to anybody, i can edit my post if you want,sorry man :oops:

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

I sometimes fear that I'm subconsciously "faking it", or at least exaggerating my symptoms. I sometimes feel like a fake since I don't have an official dx.

The two things that kept this feeling from completely overwhelming me is that it was suggested to me by 2 people that I may have AS, one of them has known me for a long time and said she suspected it for years, and that it just explains so much of my life.

I don't go around telling everyone I meet that I have AS, I actually don't like outright saying I'm aspie since I don't have an official DX.

I am very opposed to people saying they're aspie just for attention or as an excuse to be rude. Reminds me of that character on Glee who said "aspergers" after saying something rude. It was obvious she was using it as an excuse.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Evemarx
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2013, 4:06 pm

I went through a brief period of being cool. People said it was because I could just say what I thought and not care. People thought it was confidence, then shyness and mystery.
But every time someone said that, I just hated myself a little bit more because I didn't know what it was I'd said that I should have cared more about!
It's probably a phase. All kinds of weird things are cool. It's cool to be different, so people fake it. It would be awesome to have asperger's....if you could switch it off.

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2013, 1:58 am

I just saw this movie called The Ruling Class, from about 1970. It had Peter O'Toole in it. He played this guy who at first thought he was God. Then he recovered, only to have some shocking outbursts. Here, we get to see an actor fake Tourette's Syndrome. It was very convincing. So occasionally, faking an alternative neurology can be used for things other than fraud, humour, mocking others, or using it as an excuse. It can be ART!!

That being said, Peter O'Toole's character went on to become a garden variety psychopath with a great career in the House of Lords. I was disappointed with that, but it is 1970 I'm talking about here.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

Could the Mod. correct the inadvertent spelling error in the thread title, please?

Thank you.

timburtonrocks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2013, 4:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Money, money, money
https://www.autism-spectrum.net/page/in ... tralia-r23.

It does not matter how many people actually fake it or why. What is important is how many people believe
that their tax money is being improperly used for fakers and lazy people

As an individual who has been diagnosed with High functioning Asperger's since 2007 it is insulting that anyone would pretend to have autism just to receive a check in the mail .

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

Those people who faked autism are the same people who are greedy. Its a sad world were living in.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2013, 5:39 am

Bodyles wrote:
How could you fake being an aspie or autistic?

I don't get it.

yes. It wouldn't last long. Would be too hard to maintain the charade

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2013, 5:47 am

League_Girl wrote:
I only know at least one person who decided to fake it and managed to get a diagnoses. First his problems were caused by brain damage and then decided he was an aspie and he got worse after that. Then he tried telling me he never said he had brain damage and got hit by a car. He did have problems but it wasn't autism and he had stalkish behavior and harassed people on IM and emails. He also got emotionally abusive and believed everyone is mean to him when all they were doing is trying to get away from him and avoid him because of how he acts. Ignore him, he would say you were making fun of him. He had problems and always played the victim.

So care is needed to understand if people are faking or are just searching to understand themselves i.e in the process of coming to understand themselves, people can go down a wrong path (without any ill intent). In such cases they eventually find themselves if they persevere and if it isn't autism then there is no loss. I think the number of true fakers who know without doubt that they aren't autistic and pretend they are would be a small number of people who possibly have some deviant or self deluded tendencies that might in themselves be material for some sort of alternative diagnosis. As afar as I have experienced, most people rune a mile if anyone suggests they are autistic.

BrilliantLife
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Sherlock03

I was surprised to learn that there are people who actually pretend to have autism because they think it's cool. What kind of sick twisted mind would think it is fun to be this way? Are they sadists who simply enjoy watching misery and want a taste? I wish I could fake being normal and not have panic attacks in social situations . Why would they think it is fun to have no friends or not understand why someone is screaming at you because of something you said?

I know someone. It's screwed up. She's an attention-seeking whore. That's it. No sadism. She just adores all of the attention being on poor little her. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry. It must be so tough for you." Load of Bull. She's also told everyone she's schizophrenic (I've got some really f****d up stories about that from her...), and bipolar. Of course by the time she got to Autism no one believed her anyway.

They'd banish us, you know." - Emily Dickinson

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2013, 9:32 pm

BrilliantLife wrote:
Quote:
Sherlock03

Of course by the time she got to Autism no one believed her anyway.

lol

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I only know at least one person who decided to fake it and managed to get a diagnoses. First his problems were caused by brain damage and then decided he was an aspie and he got worse after that. Then he tried telling me he never said he had brain damage and got hit by a car. He did have problems but it wasn't autism and he had stalkish behavior and harassed people on IM and emails. He also got emotionally abusive and believed everyone is mean to him when all they were doing is trying to get away from him and avoid him because of how he acts. Ignore him, he would say you were making fun of him. He had problems and always played the victim.

So care is needed to understand if people are faking or are just searching to understand themselves i.e in the process of coming to understand themselves, people can go down a wrong path (without any ill intent). In such cases they eventually find themselves if they persevere and if it isn't autism then there is no loss. I think the number of true fakers who know without doubt that they aren't autistic and pretend they are would be a small number of people who possibly have some deviant or self deluded tendencies that might in themselves be material for some sort of alternative diagnosis. As afar as I have experienced, most people rune a mile if anyone suggests they are autistic.

He told me he got hit by a car when he was little and it gave him brain damage. Then when he started reading about AS, he started to get worse and obsessing about it and hating the idea of maybe having it. I would tell him to talk to his mom about it to see if he had any symptoms before the car incident. Then he decided brain damage causes autism. Then of course he later denied he ever got hit by a car and got brain damage and said he never said that. The fact he got worse after discovering AS is what makes me think he was faking it. I don't doubt he has problems, he clearly had them if he had to get manipulative and harass people online and try and get nasty and deny your feelings and try and blame it on you that it's your fault you feel that way and always be the victim when people react to his meanness and warn him in AIM or block him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2013, 2:48 am

Yes, that certainly sounds like there is a faking trend going on there. The thing that strikes me though is that someone with such strong faking tendencies must have some sort of psychologically diagnosable condition but not autism.