Page 1 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 3:26 pm

I feel very suprised when I see Christian aspies on the net. I just don't understand how you could reconcile that belief with who you are. Seeing as lots of religious people believe God "speaks to them", does he ever provide an apology or explanation as to why some people have to have asperger's, or any condition or disability?[/i]

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 3:38 pm

you're gonna hate this but God moves in mysterious ways. Dont think of AS as a curse but a an intellectual gift from God.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 3:39 pm

I'd love to have a faith in something, I just feel so angry most of the time,,,and who can I blame for asperger's except God?

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2005, 4:33 pm

I am not religious, but I thought christian people were like; "Having a disability is a little mistake made by God, and we must pray for a miracle so that they can all be cured"
Maybe I have just watched too many movies.
But you have a good point chadmaster. It is certanly a gift in some ways, if I was NT I would do a lot of boring stuff without any substance. Beeing an aspie I think is where my creativity comes from.. or maybe not..

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 4:44 pm

God made us Aspies to keep everybody else on their toes...

That's my take... we don't want people getting complacent...

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2005, 5:56 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
you're gonna hate this but God moves in mysterious ways. Dont think of AS as a curse but a an intellectual gift from God.

What do you mean by "intellectual gift" ?

If we are going to get into this debate lets not limit it to AS, how about all the suffering in the world ?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 7:06 pm

I believe that there are people like us around because we try our very best to interpret social situations. Those of us who are shy overcome our shyness. We can express our feelings with intellect. I am not Christian, but I try to be the best that I can be.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2005, 7:47 pm

There are many times I have felt blessed to be wired a little different.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 8:43 pm

I believe in God, but I don't think God is involved in small matters in our personal lives. Therefore, I don't think God had anything to do with us be Aspies.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 8:51 pm

In my bible-reading days, I used to think that you could take a lot of the references to 'chosen' people or 'saved' people in the old testament and apply them to AS...'they shall be without guile' and all that sort of thing.

Besides, there's all the other new testament (NT, lol) stuff about Jesus saying: 'if the world hates you, remember that before you it hated me' (sorry for my weak quote memory). Sometimes I think Jesus may have had AS.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 10:36 pm

All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2005, 2:31 am

let me make some silly statements:

1. something does not come from nothing
2. we (humanity, the earth, the materials in your pencil, etc) came about because of some phsyical elements (big bang, whatever) came together in a particular way and evolution came through and here we are today the dominant species.
3. now, since something does not come from nothing, it follows that we came from _something_. That is, the rational realm around us is goverened by rational laws of 'nature', physics, etc.

Now, we live in a rational world that was created and exists of physical matter. Something is not created from nothing. Therefore we were created by something (physical elements, big bang etc). But where did that come from? It follows that since something does not come from nothing in the rational world, we cannot simple say one big bang made the next and so on so forth in a chain. There had to be a "start" that originated the rational realm that we live in.

This rational start can only be explained by irrational / supernatural / god-like activity that is beyond our reach and/or comprehension. It cannot be that the universe was created from nothing. Therefore, it must have been created at some point. It could have only been created by a force operating outside the confines of science as it presents itself for us.

So, there must have been an original, irrational top level force that created our system and realm. Where did this system come about? We cannot comprehend that. We do know that something does not come from nothing, however. But who created the creator? Hell if I know, I can't even see the creator and sense it. We must assume that because we are here, we were created. And since we were created, by the previous line of thought, we could not have some from a rational start (that is, the big bang itself did not start for no reason from nothing). Something from beyond our grasp conducted all this.

Was this power, this phenomenon aware of what would occur on "Earth" or who would become an aspie? I can't rule that out since whoever made all this is hardcore and then some. All this could have been made by a cosmic accident that started at a higher plane of reasoning. Yes, however, we do not know whether this upper creator intended it so or simply created or cared or was capable of carring or desiring to know. We simple know that something created all this.

So, in summation: Something does not come from nothing. We did not come from nothing. Then where did we come from? At some point the rational realm was initiated in some respect (whether as the big bang or something before that or in another dimension etc) by a higher entity: space dust, Christian God, Jewish God (yeah little difference there if any), aliens, or bake sale gone horribly wrong! I cannot say with any certainty, truth be told. But SOMETHING created all this. That something is beyond my vision and comprehension (to a degree obviously). But something in the extra-rational, post-rational realm decided, willed, or accidentally brought this rational realm into fruition.

We are here because something created us and the system around us. What that 'something' is will no doubt remain a mystery for a long time if not until the end of man. But it is or was there. It did happen. We are here, we are living proof.

I cannot tell you why we are Aspies. But we are. Thats that. Too bad or nice and dandy. The choice is yours. Unfortunately our 'condition' affects our happiness due to certain quirks and deficiencies our condition has bestowed upon us. We can live with it happy, miserable, isolated, or meshed in society as NTs. This is life. Its tough. Make what you can from what you have. That is all I can say.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 1:47 pm

Sean wrote:
All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28

how is that relevant to asperger's?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 10:57 pm

I've never considered AS to be a disability. Just another personality type. I don't know if I'm "gifted" in anything, but I like the way I am.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2005, 12:14 am

As a devout born again Christian who is NT but also marches to the beat of my own drummer which doesn't always set right with the rest of the world...I say celebrate and enjoy who you are. From what I see here I think you guys are wonderful.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2005, 12:22 am

Quote:
Sean wrote:

how is that relevant to asperger's?

God made us with AS for a reason even if we cannot see that reason or even if it is too complex for the human mind. Almost 5000 years ago God took the assets, family, and health of a man namd Job who God granted the opportunity to take his grievances before Him because Job believed that he had done nothing to deserve his affliction.

To sum up Verses 38-41, God told Job that he didn't understand the simpler aspects of how the universe works or even how the laws of nature work which are both governed by predictable truths. However, humans were created with free will that does not follow a set of easily predictable natural laws. Making matters even less predictable for us is the fact that not every body is born into the exact same circumstances.

Now, think of all the ways one person can influence another person to uise his free will in a positive way or just as easily tempt someone to use their free will in a counterproductive way and think about how many times this happens to each individual on a daily basis as well as how many choices each individual makes in a lifetime and how each generation effects their posterity.

My point is that knowledge about our universe and the world around us can be obtained through science including the use of chaos theory and supercompouters. When trying to analyse God's purpose for us in life, the scientific approach breaks down because assuming you could plot all of the variables of human behavior into a supercomputer, still have an infinite number of conclusions and the variables would have changed many times over before the calculations were complete because humans have the free will to abitrarily change their behavior. Only God, being independent of time and space, and having created every detail of the universe as well as us, is is in a position to know why we are the way we are.

I've read your post about how you have a problem with churches and the people that attend them. I love the Lord but I have been having problems with some of His followers myself lately too and I really can't blame you for not wanting to go to church. However, I would strongly reccomend researching related theological matters privately and independently until you find someone you feel comfortable discussing them with.