Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 11:03 pm

I take everything back I have previously said about this game. It is amazing! RPG's are my favourite genre anyway, but for a game released in 1997 on the PSX of all platforms, I haven't enjoyed a game so much [not previously played from that era] in a long time. I think I was just impatient with the pace but now that I'm used to it, I've really gotten into the story and to my surprise, it's quite political in it's content. With the Shinra representing the scientific/governmental establishment and all the misdeeds that come along with such organization. Mako energy and it's implications for non renewable, fossil energy and how sometimes relying on government energy and new technology can be a bad thing for an economy and so forth. It's all very interesting and I'm surprised that this is a game made 16 years ago. The characters are all likeable too apart from maybe Cait Sith, but he is a remote controlled stuffed Cat after all, so that's to be expected I suppose. :lol:

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:44 pm

I have spent at least a thousand hours on the game. My love on it has bordered on the mental illness.

I have done everything possible in the game, even got everyone's stats to 255 thanks to morphing monsters in the Shinra sub. Materia, weapons...you bet. The last time I played, I realised that there were more weapons to buy at the Costa Del Sol on Disc 3...my life was complete. How had I not noticed this revelation before?

Completed PC and PSX versions, multiple times. Nothing I don't know about it.

My little brother bred and sold rabbits for years. I think chocobo breeding took him down that path.

Sorry, as soon as it is mentioned I go into an aspie haze. You cannot hate on FF7, it was just, well, amazing.

I find FF10 had a more powerful storyline, FF9 probably having the best hero in it.

If anyone thinks I should be exterminated after this post, they probably are more saner than me.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

I tried this one a few years back. I didn't think it was that great. It's definitely a beginner rpg. I mean, it even explains how to play an rpg. It's simple, and anyone can pick it up, but I just wasn't blown away by it like I was with Chrono Trigger, which I also never played until five years ago. I think FFVIII is head and shoulders above FFVII. Apparently it wasn't well received at the time, but that kind of makes sense, if people had just started playing rpgs with FFVII. FFVIII is an rpg for rpg veterans. You really have to know what you're doing, but I found that if you do, it has way more depth to it, gameplay wise. Of course, it's also way prettier than FFVII. My theory is that people's love for FFVII is mostly nostalgic. It makes sense if it was many people's first, but it didn't have the same effect on me. Sorry.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Tross wrote:
Apparently it wasn't well received at the time, but that kind of makes sense, if people had just started playing rpgs with FFVII. FFVIII is an rpg for rpg veterans.

Nope!

None of my friends liked FF8, and they've been playing since the first Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES.

NASH79
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

When Square Enix announced Final Fantasy VI for the iOS this winter, there was a teaser for VII on iOS.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 3:08 am

I hope they finally update the graphics...that's one game that could certainly use it. The pre-rendered stuff looked fine, and the models during battles were good for the time, but the overworld/in-town models looked worse than Alone in the Dark from 1992 =)

But if they redid the graphics, they'd probably do a complete overhaul from scratch. Probably even redo all of the pre-rendered backgrounds to be real-time 3D.

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

Final Fantasy VII was the reason I am into Final Fantasy in the first place. It was the first in the series I played, let alone the first PS game I played. Before that, it was all Mario platformers and stuff. A trailer I watched at a Toys-R-Us TV screen had my jaw dropping as I watched the scene I later knew as the train crashing through the town if you couldn't stop it in time, followed by the words, "this could be the greatest video game of all time." I knew then, I must have it. It was the game that made know that storytelling in video games had a future. That was 1997. If I think about Final Fantasy Vll compared to today's advancements, it's the story and characters I remember. Graphics have vastly improved, but I might want to play a new RPG with pre-rendered scenery again to take me back a little.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 1:26 pm

Honestly, the graphics didn't bother me at all with this game. It was the gameplay and the story that made me play it for 90 hours. I levelled three of my characters up to level 99 and harvested source materia from those monsters in the Gelnika to make Cloud have almost maximum stats for every skill. I think my lowest was Vitality which was 221 and then Dexterity which was 223, but the rest were maxed out. Even the grinding to collect the source materia didn't seem too bad as I was hoping to defeat Emerald and Ruby weapon. I've beaten Emerald but I can't seem to defeat Ruby. I think I'm going to leave it at that now as I've gotten 32 out of the possible 36 achievements for the Steam version. A very good game indeed that captured my interest for the duration of the hours played. It didn't even feel like an old game in it's mechanics. But maybe that's because I've never really played a decent turn based battle RPG.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Honestly, the graphics didn't bother me at all with this game. It was the gameplay and the story that made me play it for 90 hours. I levelled three of my characters up to level 99 and harvested source materia from those monsters in the Gelnika to make Cloud have almost maximum stats for every skill. I think my lowest was Vitality which was 221 and then Dexterity which was 223, but the rest were maxed out. Even the grinding to collect the source materia didn't seem too bad as I was hoping to defeat Emerald and Ruby weapon. I've beaten Emerald but I can't seem to defeat Ruby. I think I'm going to leave it at that now as I've gotten 32 out of the possible 36 achievements for the Steam version. A very good game indeed that captured my interest for the duration of the hours played. It didn't even feel like an old game in it's mechanics. But maybe that's because I've never really played a decent turn based battle RPG.

But you could defeat every single creature in the game with ease - including both Ruby and Emerald - without grinding to level 99.

Solution: Knights Of The Round.

And I find it odd that you defeated Emerald, but not Ruby.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

I didn't feel it was that great a game. It was very cool looking, but I preferred the earlier sprite graphic final fantasy games because I feel they had better storylines. I think that a few of them have been re-released with 3-D graphics on handhelds now, but I don't have them. I grew up with 2, 3(released as 6 later on), and 5. I also like the other squaresoft games such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Secret of Evermore better than FFVII. 3(6) is my Favorite. It's the squaresoft game I've played the most, with probably Secret of Evermore next, followed by Chrono Trigger for my personal ranking. None of this is to say that FFVII is a bad game. I liked it. I found out after the first time I beat the game, i did so in a way that was considered a speed run, minimal requirements. All of my chars were mid 40s for level. I spent considerably less time for game play than my friends had who had played through it. I never doubled or trippled any materia, nor earned any but the basic limit breaks. It took me 3 times to beat Sephiroth, but I did so on the 3rd try because I picked the wrong chars. At level 40 something, some chars like Vincent are a no go for using in a boss fight.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm

GGPViper wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

But you could defeat every single creature in the game with ease - including both Ruby and Emerald - without grinding to level 99.

Solution: Knights Of The Round.

And I find it odd that you defeated Emerald, but not Ruby.

I had Knights of the round. I couldn't beat him, even with Cloud's stats mostly maxed out, without it. I had to get a Gold chocobo just to get the Knights of the round materia. I also had Mime which I used to to mimic the Knights of the round but Emerald has 1,000,000 hitpoints and knights of the round only did 13 hits was it? At 9999 each which is just short of 130,000 damage, and then when I mimed with Vincent, because he had lesser stats, despite being level 99 [I hadn't fed him source materia] he only took off approximately 7,700 with each knights of the round strike, which added up to approximately 100,000 damage. He did that twice as I used W-summon which I won at battle square with Cloud but for some reason Cloud could only summon Knights of the round once with the second try from Cloud saying "Summon used up." So basically, I could take about 330,000 of damage off of the 1,000,000 before I had to throw everything else I had at him, including level 4 limit breaks such as Omnislash, all the whilst hoping he didn't K.O my whole party with Aire Tram Storm. Even with HP Plus, that thing took 9999 damage off so if it hit every party member then it was game over.

Have you tried Ruby? He's far more difficult than Emerald. He can use Whirlsand to remove two party members from battle. Plus, at the beginning of the battle he is impenetrable to damage, despite having the same hitpoints as Emerald. Not to mention the separate tentacles that sprout up.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 5:16 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I had Knights of the round. I couldn't beat him, even with Cloud's stats mostly maxed out, without it. I had to get a Gold chocobo just to get the Knights of the round materia. I also had Mime which I used to to mimic the Knights of the round but Emerald has 1,000,000 hitpoints and knights of the round only did 13 hits was it? At 9999 each which is just short of 130,000 damage, and then when I mimed with Vincent, because he had lesser stats, despite being level 99 [I hadn't fed him source materia] he only took off approximately 7,700 with each knights of the round strike, which added up to approximately 100,000 damage. He did that twice as I used W-summon which I won at battle square with Cloud but for some reason Cloud could only summon Knights of the round once with the second try from Cloud saying "Summon used up." So basically, I could take about 330,000 of damage off of the 1,000,000 before I had to throw everything else I had at him, including level 4 limit breaks such as Omnislash, all the whilst hoping he didn't K.O my whole party with Aire Tram Storm. Even with HP Plus, that thing took 9999 damage off so if it hit every party member then it was game over.

Have you tried Ruby? He's far more difficult than Emerald. He can use Whirlsand to remove two party members from battle. Plus, at the beginning of the battle he is impenetrable to damage, despite having the same hitpoints as Emerald. Not to mention the separate tentacles that sprout up.

Against Ruby:
I barely even remember how to fight Ruby. He was just too easy. Anyway, *of course he removes two party members from battle*. The battle against Ruby is a single party member battle. It always has been. Get Omnislash, W-Summon and Knights Of Round, and he is a pushover. Or, with high enough stats, just kill him with basic attacks.

As for the *real* challenge (Emerald):
Aire Tam Storm should *never* KO your party. You need to have the Phoenix Materia on just *one* of your party members, and Aire Tam Storm becomes harmless. With enough X-Potions (and the Underwater materia, obviously, unless you are Ungarmaxing), it is literally *impossible* to lose against Emerald. You can grind for multiple KoTR, W-Summons and Mime to create a 6x KoTR team in order to shorten the battle, but they are strictly not necessary.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 12:56 am

GGPViper wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Against Ruby:
I barely even remember how to fight Ruby. He was just too easy. Anyway, *of course he removes two party members from battle*. The battle against Ruby is a single party member battle. It always has been. Get Omnislash, W-Summon and Knights Of Round, and he is a pushover. Or, with high enough stats, just kill him with basic attacks.

As for the *real* challenge (Emerald):
Aire Tam Storm should *never* KO your party. You need to have the Phoenix Materia on just *one* of your party members, and Aire Tam Storm becomes harmless. With enough X-Potions (and the Underwater materia, obviously, unless you are Ungarmaxing), it is literally *impossible* to lose against Emerald. You can grind for multiple KoTR, W-Summons and Mime to create a 6x KoTR team in order to shorten the battle, but they are strictly not necessary.

Well, as I implied with my initial sentence in my last post, I did manage to beat Emerald with the Knights of the round and mime, but I couldn't do so without it [Knights of the round], even with Cloud at level 99 with most of his stats maxed. That might be what I'm missing then, the Phoenix materia on my party. I didn't realize that was necessary to make battling Emerald easier. I had to battle Emerald several times, purely because of the Aire Tram Storm really. I was giving my characters hero drinks which made the Emerald shoot attack mostly harmless, but the Aire Tram Storm kept taking 9999 off of one or more of my characters and obviously 9999 is the maximum number of hitpoints for a party member. That, coupled with the fact that it was difficult to keep all of my characters alive because of the Emerald beam attack which took 2/3 of the health of each of my characters off, it took a good few tries for me. I already have Knights of the round and Omnislash, but Knights of the round is only at two stars out of five and I think W-summon is on one star or two so I guess I'd have to do more grinding to make it easier to defeat him.

As for Ruby, I do notice though at the beginning of the battle, Ruby is impervious to attacks, at least physical one's or Knights of the round even, though magic seems to take off a little bit of damage. But then that changes at some point, perhaps when the tentacles come out. But even then, Knights of the round was only taking 800 or so damage off of him as opposed to 9999 off of Emerald. Are we talking about the same boss here? Ruby is in the desert outside of Gold Saucer and is well known for being the most difficult, optional superboss.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Well, as I implied with my initial sentence in my last post, I did manage to beat Emerald with the Knights of the round and mime, but I couldn't do so without it [Knights of the round], even with Cloud at level 99 with most of his stats maxed. That might be what I'm missing then, the Phoenix materia on my party. I didn't realize that was necessary to make battling Emerald easier. I had to battle Emerald several times, purely because of the Aire Tram Storm really. I was giving my characters hero drinks which made the Emerald shoot attack mostly harmless, but the Aire Tram Storm kept taking 9999 off of one or more of my characters and obviously 9999 is the maximum number of hitpoints for a party member. That, coupled with the fact that it was difficult to keep all of my characters alive because of the Emerald beam attack which took 2/3 of the health of each of my characters off, it took a good few tries for me. I already have Knights of the round and Omnislash, but Knights of the round is only at two stars out of five and I think W-summon is on one star or two so I guess I'd have to do more grinding to make it easier to defeat him.
As for Ruby, I do notice though at the beginning of the battle, Ruby is impervious to attacks, at least physical one's or Knights of the round even, though magic seems to take off a little bit of damage. But then that changes at some point, perhaps when the tentacles come out. But even then, Knights of the round was only taking 800 or so damage off of him as opposed to 9999 off of Emerald. Are we talking about the same boss here? Ruby is in the desert outside of Gold Saucer and is well known for being the most difficult, optional superboss.

There was some trick to make him vulnerable, can't remember what it was now. But overall Ruby is easier than Emerald.

If you really want to be a completionist and super power your team, raise their stats to insane levels by converting the underwater enemies into permanent stat boosts, and get multiple "master" materia. I remember that once you have more than one character with master summon (red) and master action (yellow) materias equipped, even Emerald and Ruby Weapon are basically pushovers.

A better challenge is beating FF8's Omega Weapon without using any invulnerability. ;)