Perching on the fence about Elder Scrolls Online

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm

Me and my friends are going crazy waiting for this game to come out either going to be a dark elf or nord assassin class for sure and fight for the ebonheart pact.

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm

You can`t build your own player home in it, which is what I liked to do most in Skyrim, especially with mods. I`m definitely not going to get this.

overseasalt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

Me too! The "placeable statics: move anything" mod is one of my favorites. I built the hearthfires home, turned on music, and proceeded to spend hours placing static objects more to my liking than where the developers put them. Then I replaced all the hanging wall baskets with my trophies. Ahhh ... 8)

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

I'm tired of MMO's. I prefer single player games.

After a year of LOTRO, I've found that MMO's are a major time sink. I noticed this "might as well get what I paid for" side effect to the monthly subscription model. Anyhow, I don't like playing with strangers in a video game. It makes for clumsy strategy in cooperative play.

I won't touch elder scrolls online.
Also when it comes to the elder scrolls series, I'm kind of a 'cheater'. I like to play with the construction set and create my own spells once my magic using character has reached leadership status in the guild... then I go rouge... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It makes it interesting when you are wanted everywhere.

Diagnosed in 2005

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2013, 2:43 am

Only thing I can say is it better not be the same old MMO grind like WOW. Ugh! I am so sick of this concept and the fact that everyone clones WOW. Even The Old Republic felt like a sci fi version of WOW.

And I agree. I prefer single player games. Can we get Elder Scrolls 6 please! Make it Elder Scrolls 6: Elsweyr.

Unfortunately we will not see that game the sixth one for awhile I imagine :(

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 10:28 am

punkguy378 wrote:
Only thing I can say is it better not be the same old MMO grind like WOW. Ugh! I am so sick of this concept and the fact that everyone clones WOW. Even The Old Republic felt like a sci fi version of WOW.

And I agree. I prefer single player games. Can we get Elder Scrolls 6 please! Make it Elder Scrolls 6: Elsweyr.

Yeah, I'm also afraid that this will kill the single player version.

Somehow game companies think that making any game multiplayer only, makes it better. Actually, they are doing it as a way to attempt to fight piracy.

I just plain don't like playing games with random strangers on the internet.

Diagnosed in 2005

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

pete1061 wrote:
punkguy378 wrote:

Yeah, I'm also afraid that this will kill the single player version.

Somehow game companies think that making any game multiplayer only, makes it better. Actually, they are doing it as a way to attempt to fight piracy.

I just plain don't like playing games with random strangers on the internet.

Yup. Multiplayer games tend to be popular, and of course everyone everywhere thinks that this also means that they can add Facebook-ish features to it (which OF COURSE means way more sales!! !!111 because publishers are dumber than a sack of hammers in that way), so.... yeah. Not a surprise.

As it is, I wouldnt get hopes up too much for the gameplay either. There's currently still a very high chance that it will indeed end up playing like WoW, again, because the guys in charge tend to not be very bright.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

That's why indie gaming is the way to go these days.
The big corporate publishers like are just following formulas now, just like movie studios & TV networks.

Diagnosed in 2005

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:04 am

So, an update here, it would appear that the beta stage is beginning with this game. I've recieved an invite to play it on the weekend here..... wether or not it'll be a recurring event, like what Dawngate is doing, is unknown at this time, but it's a chance to fully try this out finally.

Anyone else get an invite? Or perhaps have somehow already had a chance to try it?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 7:12 am

Misery wrote:
So, an update here, it would appear that the beta stage is beginning with this game. I've recieved an invite to play it on the weekend here..... wether or not it'll be a recurring event, like what Dawngate is doing, is unknown at this time, but it's a chance to fully try this out finally.

Anyone else get an invite? Or perhaps have somehow already had a chance to try it?

I'm am extremely jealous, lol. I've been waiting a few months for an invite and no luck. :(

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 10:12 am

Kinme wrote:

I'm am extremely jealous, lol. I've been waiting a few months for an invite and no luck. :(

Well, dont get too jealous yet. I'm always suspicious when I hear the phrase "Beta weekend event!" or something along that lines, as it COULD mean just ONE weekend where it's playable, and then you dont get to touch it again for like a month or two. In my eyes, it's the absolute worst possible way to do a beta. Usually, I actually dont bother with that sort, since you need quite a bit of time to really get somewhere in an MMO, and ONE solitary weekend... more specifically, one solitary weekend of violently imploding servers... isnt gonna cut it.

I'm HOPING it's being done like Dawngate's beta, where it's EVERY weekend, from early friday to late Sunday. Gives the devs plenty of time during the week to work on things without the servers being on, but also gives the players plenty of time each week, consistently, to play and test things.

That type actually seems rare though. I'm rather expecting that first sort. But we'll see what happens. The e-mail wasnt very clear about this specific aspect.

One way or another I'm gonna try to give detailed info and possibly screenshots (maybe) as I go into this, for those that are interested. Keep an eye on this topic, for that. I can jump in two days from now, it seems. I merely have to remember this fact..... but I usually dont forget about beta stuffs as I do alot of testing.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 2:48 am

Well, the first thing to say about this is that the download is enormous. Even at 3.5 mb/s, this is going to take many hours.

On the plus side, the account stuffs was easy and quick, so there's that at least.

EDIT: Well, false alarm on this, it seems.

It really IS one of those godawful "special weekends every 6 weeks :D" sorts of betas. Typically I just refuse to bother with those. Not worth the time.

Granted, I kinda expected that. Oh well. Rift instead, for me, then.