Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2013, 6:24 pm

^ Good shoes are also a big factor in running. I personally prefer the New Balance Minimus. It helps develop a proper forefoot strike that takes away a lot of the joint stress.

Here's another story.
I Lost Weight: Tim Bauer Cut Out Fast Food And Sugar And Lost 225 Pounds

Paleo strikes again.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

Shatbat wrote:
I know a moderate-severe calorie restriction diet without stopping to eat altogether can do wonders, plus exercising to keep your metabolysm up and avoid losing muscle instead of fat. But the diet requires a high amount of willpower, and when you reach your target weight you'd have to eat less than usual in order to keep that weight.

This. Especially the part about willpower. Aim for a caloric intake of ~500 calories a day. Rigorous exercise, cold water and black coffee.

Be warned that this extreme dieting becomes dangerous after a time, as it will start to eat your muscles, including the heart muscles (which will land you in the ER, trust me).

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
Shatbat wrote:
I know a moderate-severe calorie restriction diet without stopping to eat altogether can do wonders, plus exercising to keep your metabolysm up and avoid losing muscle instead of fat. But the diet requires a high amount of willpower, and when you reach your target weight you'd have to eat less than usual in order to keep that weight.

This. Especially the part about willpower. Aim for a caloric intake of ~500 calories a day. Rigorous exercise, cold water and black coffee.

Be warned that this extreme dieting becomes dangerous after a time, as it will start to eat your muscles, including the heart muscles (which will land you in the ER, trust me).

500 cals a day is insane. It'll ruin your metabolism if you do it for too long. You preferably want to diet with the least deficit possible so that way there your metabolism is still good. If you stay on 500 calories too long you'll be forced to eat 500 cals a day forever as your metabolism will get used to it as a protection mechanism so your body doesn't die, since your body thinks it's in Auschwitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_ ... Experiment
These people here were fed 1500 cals a day and walked an hour a day and still got screwed up even by that diet. Mind you 1500 cals a day for a man is different than 1500 cals a day for a woman, but still the point remains. It's much better to aim for slower steadier weight loss so you're not metabolically wrecked.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk[/youtube]
Very good video by Layne Norton about the subject.