Why so much opposition to curing Aspergers?

Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

etg1701
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2007, 11:06 pm

I'm new here and I had a question on my mind that I've been pondering ever since I found this site, the question of whether autism should be cured or not. Reading this forum, I have seen the answer as a resounding no (at the bottom of the page, it even says that Aspergers is not a disease). Before I continue, I must emphasize that I also have Aspergers syndrome and that this is not meant as some kind of troll post. If it comes off that way, I apologize; all I really want is an answer to my questions and no offense is intended to anyone here.

Defining mental illness is admittedly difficult at times, but suffering or pain caused by a condition is usually considered a factor as the body and mind in a healthy state are not generally afflicted with conspicuous pain without cause. With that in mind, what do you say to people who are downright miserable due to Aspergers, people like me? What else do you call an unpleasant neurological condition that interferes with life and brings anguish and despair if not a disease?

Building on that, I often hear the term "neurodiversity" to refer to the notion that autism is a variation of neural wiring to be tolerated and accepted rather than shunned. The word "diversity" usually implies a variety that is beneficial in some way; one would hardly say call an artist's work diverse and mean that half their œuvre is crap. How, then, is autism part of a beneficial diversity and not a kind of flaw? What does it contribute to the world and how are those contributions enough to outweigh the suffering of many autistics? To put it another way, why should I foot the bill for neurodiversity in the form of a lifetime of despair when a cure could give me the opportunity for a better life?

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm

I think having AS is a gift from the godesses.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:13 pm

While I think the majority of the people on this site have the viewpoint you mentioned, not all do.

I'm not really for "curing" but I definitely do think it's a disease/disability/whatever. I can't say I'm into curing because I don't know that being an NT would be any better. There are plenty of unhappy NTs out there.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:15 pm

I'd rather satisfy myself in a way that involves me making things work for me, instead of me working for other things. Isn't "curing" Aspergers sort of cheating, in a way?

Last edited by maldoror on 30 Jan 2007, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:17 pm

If i didn't have AS,i would be typical NT hoodsta street-trash and if
redmage,starbuline,tinky,shadesofme,spacecase and all the other AS girls were NT,they would be total sluts who whore themselves to jocks.

No offence to the girls but its the truth.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 11:21 pm

I've attached to my condition beyond the fact that I have it. What I mean is that, well, my personality is defined by my creativity, strong love for math and logic, and mysteriousness. I simply wouldn't want any of that to change! I've found a way to cope with my life, and I'm downright proud of myself.

etg1701

30 Jan 2007, 11:24 pm

Quote:
This is something I have thought about as well. Although at this point in my life, I'm not necesarrily adverse to a "cure", I've come to accept that my personality has been defined and to take away my AS is to make me into a different person, a person that would have to look on the first 20 years of his life as being a total waste of oxygen. I think I'm attached to my condition in some weird, indescribable way. I mean yeah, day to day life is a pain in the ass most of the time. But hey, anyone can be normal. I'd rather satisfy myself in a way that involves me making things work for me, instead of me working for other things. Isn't "curing" Aspergers sort of cheating, in a way?

Sure I'd be a different person, but I'd be a different person with opportunities I don't have now, ones the majority of people do have. My personality is hardly worth keeping if it holds me back like this. Perhaps it would be cheating, but when the game is rigged, what else can you do?

Quote:
I think having AS is a gift from the godesses.

And why is that? What advantages does Aspergers give you that outweigh the disadvantages? I'm told that in German, gift is the word for "poison", but in English, we hardly expect gifts to bring such misery, I would think.

TennisFanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 11:24 pm

Cure Asperger's??! !?? It's not going to kill you like AIDS or Cancer DOES!!

IMHO, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

etg1701

30 Jan 2007, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Cure Asperger's??! !?? It's not going to kill you like AIDS or Cancer DOES!!

IMHO, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

Just because something isn't fatal doesn't mean it isn't bad. Going to prison won't necessarily kill you, but if you get locked up, you would still want out. Death is not the only way a disease can hurt you, after all. Surely you can understand that a lifetime of suffering is itself undesirable, even if you don't die prematurely.

Last edited by etg1701 on 30 Jan 2007, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

30 Jan 2007, 11:30 pm

I have no problem if people want to cure aspergers. I just feel that
its wishful thinking. Its not going to be mechanistically possible in
the foreseeable future to cure it. Likely a genetic test will weed out
future generations of aspies from every being born.

You need to treat the comorbit issues that are treatable depression, social anxiety, speech problems, etc.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:31 pm

etg1701 wrote:

Sure I'd be a different person, but I'd be a different person with opportunities I don't have now, ones the majority of people do have. My personality is hardly worth keeping if it holds me back like this. Perhaps it would be cheating, but when the game is rigged, what else can you do?

Yeah, but having AS isn't a variable. The hypothetical cure would be nice, but the day we have that is the day that we're going to be able to re-wire people's brains and that's going to present a whole new set of problems. The question of whether or not you "want" a "cure" is less about whether or not you support science pursuing a cure and more about whether or not you've accepted yourself, I think. And for me, life's a lot less painful when you do,.

trent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2007, 11:36 pm

I don't think I can express this very well in words, but I view AS as both a gift on maybe one or two levels and a curse on many other more l. While I don't believe in "curing" people with AS of their perceived deficits, I certainly wouldn't sign a bill that asks psychology to look at autism as being of a "different kind of wiring".

Theres this essay that really gets my take on AS across way better than I ever could in an essay, at least right now. I'm exhausted!

http://www.case.edu/affil/sce/Texts_200 ... lmonte.htm

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2007, 11:41 pm

asperger's isn't a disease. it's a syndrome. the two are completely different. A disease has a known specific cause or causes (called its etiology), wheres a syndrome is a collection of signs or symptoms that occur together.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:48 pm

alex wrote:
asperger's isn't a disease. it's a syndrome. the two are completely different.

ASPERGERS IS NOT A DISEASE!! !! !

I'll KILL ANYBODY WHO SAYS IT IS!! !! !

etg1701

30 Jan 2007, 11:50 pm

Quote:
asperger's isn't a disease. it's a syndrome. the two are completely different. A disease has a known specific cause or causes (called its etiology), wheres a syndrome is a collection of signs or symptoms that occur together.

Fine, technically true, though a syndrome is hardly better than a disease so it's a trivial distinction from a sufferer.

Quote:
Yeah, but having AS isn't a variable. The hypothetical cure would be nice, but the day we have that is the day that we're going to be able to re-wire people's brains and that's going to present a whole new set of problems. The question of whether or not you "want" a "cure" is less about whether or not you support science pursuing a cure and more about whether or not you've accepted yourself, I think. And for me, life's a lot less painful when you do,.

I am not fond of mincing words, so I will be blunt here: accepting myself would be stupid. I have less than nothing as it stands and by all accounts would be better off having nothing at all.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:50 pm

I would just like for more people to have a greater understanding of Aspergers and hopefully that would lead to a greater acceptance of it