Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2014, 1:49 am

Nonperson wrote:
One of the few aspies I've met in real life was a guy who seemed, to me, to be constantly bragging about his accomplishments. On the other hand, I've been accused of being "a braggart" myself. I get the impression it's never ok to say anything good about yourself/mention any of your accomplishments, but I tend to forget or give into the impulse to do so anyway. How about you?

The reason people got mad when I bragged was because I was an alpha and they thought highly of me already. Ironically, I thought I was the nerd of the group. There really are no nerds of the group since everyone are accepted the same. Really, they treated me so much differently and I never noticed. I did many things but still maintained my position. There is no competition involved.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 3:18 am

This post reminds me of a saying my mother used to say whenever I talked about myself "self praise stinks"

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 5:06 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Only on Wrong Planet. Some people here take any show of confidence as evidence of an overgrown ego, or posting of a personal triumph as trying to rub your success in the faces of the unsuccessful... :roll:

I've decided it's one of the less charming facets of AS, as I've seen the behavior multiple times from multiple posters, and a little bit IRL at my AS meetup group.

I personally am not convinced the above-discussed behavior is directly AS-linked, but might be consistent with a population that has often been socially isolated and/or socially excluded.

From what I've seen it's a people trait, rather then just an AS trait. There is a school of thought that says if you acknowledge your good points it means that you are in love with yourself.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 6:34 am

In my case it's more a matter of amazement that I accomplished whatever.
Not that what I accomplished was amazing, but that I actually managed to accomplish it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

I'm not a bragger or a know-it-all. I can't brag because I have nothing to brag about, and I can't know it all because I don't know it all. Each time I have tried to know something, there's always somebody in the group who will wrong me, because usually I am wrong at things and I only know the basic stuff what everybody knows.

I feel a lot of people are becoming braggers these days. Have you even been on Facebook....?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:41 pm

No, never.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:47 pm

No. I have nothing to brag about xD

Maybe I'm told I repeat myself a lot, but not bragging.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 2:11 pm

I am a complainer. I always have been. The kids at school used to yell ''you complain about EVERYTHING!'' Even the teachers said it. I didn't think it was fair, because sometimes I felt very bewildered about life and everything and couldn't help complaining. To me it wasn't complaining, it was just stating my feelings, but to them it was just whine, whine, whine. Ever since I have been afraid to tell people how I feel or even assert myself, otherwise I will get the same reply: ''Don't complain!! !''

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 7:19 pm

I have online but don't remember such accusation in the real world. I have noticed people get accused of bragging all the time when they talk about good things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 8:05 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am a complainer. I always have been. The kids at school used to yell ''you complain about EVERYTHING!'' Even the teachers said it. I didn't think it was fair, because sometimes I felt very bewildered about life and everything and couldn't help complaining. To me it wasn't complaining, it was just stating my feelings, but to them it was just whine, whine, whine. Ever since I have been afraid to tell people how I feel or even assert myself, otherwise I will get the same reply: ''Don't complain!! !''

^ this hits so close to home for me. I'm the type that doesn't exactly complain about things. I merely kept asking WHY things were done the way they were done because it made no sense. 'Dr. Why' was the label I got in middle/high school... and its curious because even at work later in life, at different jobs I kept getting the same nickname.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I dealt with that in my first job. I would point out things I would question as unfair and somebody soon slipped a memo about "how to stop whining and start winning" into my mailbox. Its like the story The Emperors New Clothes everywhere I go.

rubenzapata1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

DONALD TRUMP

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2016, 10:59 pm

Yes I have been accused of bragging. In this department, I am a scatterbrain because I don't know the appropriate time to give myself any appreciation so I just avoid it all together now. I wasn't able to figure it out on my own, so meh. I don't like getting compliments either because it freezes me up inside, and it has backfired many many times. I have absolutely no idea how to respond back to this! with my brain it's like trying to solve a rubik's cube in seconds. I need time. like 10 minutes. But what am I supposed to say? give me 10-15 min and I'll give you a response? damn aspergers...son of a b*tch!.. (needed to rant)(I feel better now :o I think.)