What were your favourite children's books?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

AshTrees wrote:
Does anyone remember Kipper the Dog by Mick Inkpen? I like him as a writer and illsustrator.

And he wrote Percy the Parkkeeper. Those were good too.

I LOVED Kipper and Percy the Park Keeper books! I used to watch the cartoons as well!
I still have a stuffed toy of Kipper the Dog! :D

AshTrees wrote:
btw, I like your signature, 54together. At least in the ocean there's lots of beautiful fish :nemo:

Thank you! :)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

Not saying that is necessarily my favorite book as a child (although it could be), but I happened to run across it the other day and pulled it out of the bookshelves.

Scuffy the Tugboat

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

As a young child I enjoyed a well known back then in my country kindergarten children book series "Poczytaj mi mamo" - "Mom, Read to Me". For example, I remember "Giraffe's Cold", "My Beautiful Golden Horse", "What I Have" and many others. Later on, I liked L. M. Montgomery and Mrs. Hodgson Burnett's novels.

WBM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

I'm Glad you asked about children's books and novels

some of my favorites are dr.seuss

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 4:42 pm

Nobody seems to have heard of these, but I loved the ''Kitty'' books by Bel Mooney (still like them now). I used to be able to relate to the main character Kitty very well. It's just about an ordinary family; a mum, a dad, and two children, the oldest is Daniel and the youngest is Kitty, who the stories are mostly about (they actually have a baby brother called Tom a bit later in the stories). Kitty can be very sulky, which reminded me of me the most as a child!

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Sep 2014, 6:14 pm

i was never read to when i was a tiny child, but when i got a little older my main reading material was mostly the childrens fiction by Roald Dahl. i loved the made-up words, and Quentin Blake's illustrations (rather squiggly) went perfectly with Dahl's way of storytelling. The Great Glass Elevator was the first one i read, i read Matilda bunches of times, and i still have yet to return a copy of The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me i 'borrowed" in 5th grade...

Calvin and Hobbes too. i know it's a comic strip but i have most of the treasuries. my godfather gave me my first treasury, the Authoritative, and that's how i got introduced to them. i actually thought that he was the one that wrote the strip and "Bill Watterson" was only a pen name. i couldn't really understand some strips when i first read them but now i do.

and I liked the Berenstain Bears books too, though now they look to me a bit saccharine. :?

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:16 pm

The ones my parents kept out of my reach and I never got to read.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.