What were your favourite children's books?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

AshTrees wrote:
Does anyone remember Kipper the Dog by Mick Inkpen? I like him as a writer and illsustrator.

And he wrote Percy the Parkkeeper. Those were good too.

I LOVED Kipper and Percy the Park Keeper books! I used to watch the cartoons as well!
I still have a stuffed toy of Kipper the Dog! :D

AshTrees wrote:
btw, I like your signature, 54together. At least in the ocean there's lots of beautiful fish :nemo:

Thank you! :)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

Not saying that is necessarily my favorite book as a child (although it could be), but I happened to run across it the other day and pulled it out of the bookshelves.

Scuffy the Tugboat

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

As a young child I enjoyed a well known back then in my country kindergarten children book series "Poczytaj mi mamo" - "Mom, Read to Me". For example, I remember "Giraffe's Cold", "My Beautiful Golden Horse", "What I Have" and many others. Later on, I liked L. M. Montgomery and Mrs. Hodgson Burnett's novels.

WBM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

I'm Glad you asked about children's books and novels

some of my favorites are dr.seuss

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 4:42 pm

Nobody seems to have heard of these, but I loved the ''Kitty'' books by Bel Mooney (still like them now). I used to be able to relate to the main character Kitty very well. It's just about an ordinary family; a mum, a dad, and two children, the oldest is Daniel and the youngest is Kitty, who the stories are mostly about (they actually have a baby brother called Tom a bit later in the stories). Kitty can be very sulky, which reminded me of me the most as a child!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:14 pm

i was never read to when i was a tiny child, but when i got a little older my main reading material was mostly the childrens fiction by Roald Dahl. i loved the made-up words, and Quentin Blake's illustrations (rather squiggly) went perfectly with Dahl's way of storytelling. The Great Glass Elevator was the first one i read, i read Matilda bunches of times, and i still have yet to return a copy of The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me i 'borrowed" in 5th grade...

Calvin and Hobbes too. i know it's a comic strip but i have most of the treasuries. my godfather gave me my first treasury, the Authoritative, and that's how i got introduced to them. i actually thought that he was the one that wrote the strip and "Bill Watterson" was only a pen name. i couldn't really understand some strips when i first read them but now i do.

and I liked the Berenstain Bears books too, though now they look to me a bit saccharine. :?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:16 pm

The ones my parents kept out of my reach and I never got to read.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.