Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 10:45 pm

DocteurDEVO7 wrote:
Lots of people hunt coyotes with .22s. My targets are fox, coyote, possums mostly and my .22 will do the job just fine. I appreciate your concern though but if you do research lots of people really do hunt coyote with .22s.

Given the size of some coyotes, using a .22 other than a .22 centerfire (.223, .22-250, etc.) is really pushing it.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:42 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
In the UK Hunting permits can be purchased through the Post Office.
There's no restriction against people with AS doing this.

I live in the english countryside with farmland around and I hear the farmers shooting late evening time quite regularly. I don't know about restrictions on gun ownership here but I know from some of the farmers that the police check in on them quite regularly to see if they are being stored safely.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 11:45 am

My ex always used a .22 for deer.
Only advisable if you are a really good shot, and he was.

DocteurDEVO7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2018, 4:28 pm

Raptor wrote:
Given the size of some coyotes, using a .22 other than a .22 centerfire (.223, .22-250, etc.) is really pushing it.

Debatable.. if it's in close range and you're a good shot there's nothing wrong with it but that's just my opinion.

MissLizard wrote:
My ex always used a .22 for deer.
Only advisable if you are a really good shot, and he was.

That takes it a step too far for me. Can it be done.. yes. But it's illegal (at least in my state) for good reason.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 5:13 pm

I am a geologist who has worked in places where the wildlife can still kill you (bears, mountain lions). So I own a shotgun. I hope I never have to use it on either of those.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 11:41 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:

I live in the english countryside with farmland around and I hear the farmers shooting late evening time quite regularly. I don't know about restrictions on gun ownership here but I know from some of the farmers that the police check in on them quite regularly to see if they are being stored safely.

What predators are left in the English countryside that they are shooting?

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 12:05 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:

The only 'predator' would be foxes who attack their animals, so farmers get guns to protect their livestock but they actually spend most of their time shooting for 'fun' i.e pheasants, rabbits etc

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 3:23 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:

The only 'predator' would be foxes who attack their animals, so farmers get guns to protect their livestock but they actually spend most of their time shooting for 'fun' i.e pheasants, rabbits etc

Foxes? LOL. No bears or mountain lions at least they can fight back. BTW I think your fox hunting "tradition" is some fkked up barbarity.