To those of you who have issues finding comfortable shoes

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:48 am

Interesting, so they come in wide sizes? I'm a wide, too. I saw a pair of black Go Walk slip-ons the last time I broke down and went shoe-shopping (not a big fan of shoe-shopping) and thought about trying them on, but wasn't sure if you could actually walk and/or be active in them. Kind of figured the name was just a marketing thing.

Someone I work with keeps telling me I should try Dansko's and that they are the most comfortable shoes she's ever worn, etc., but I just cannot image something with that high of a heel being remotely comfortable. And, I don't really like the look of clogs, either.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 6:37 pm

I love Dansko clogs. It's true they're not the most stylish shoes but are really comfortable.
I'd recommend them if your job requires you to be on your feet for a long period of time.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:07 am

Here's the thing: my feet are wide, so I usually fit in a size 6 and a half wide because the shoes don't stretch as well in 5's for whatever reason. My real shoe size is 5 and a half. I fit PERFECTLY in 5 and a half in these shoes. So, I definitely think your size will fit really well. I can't stand shoe shopping either, or shopping in general, but I needed a nice pair of walking shoes and was astounded to actually find some for a change. I avoid anything with a heel; they are not good for your feet, and they are not comfortable. I've tried people's recommendations, but it didn't work out for me. Some of the best shoes I've worn, aside from these, are Nike shoes, but they're over $100 for the ones that are actually worth purchasing. I don't have that kind of money, lol. So, I opted for these.

Speaking of which, I wore them for biking the other day and they were great. Kept my feet dry and they weren't killing me after an hour of biking (which is unusual for most shoes on me).

kalli889
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2013, 8:00 pm

I love Danskos. I have gotten over the fact that they are ugly. I choose the least ugly Danskos to wear and I ENJOY THEM! They feel like walking on a cloud. Seriously. The best.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:21 am

I like Birkenstock Bostons. Nice and wide with no heel.

Pandanus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

I've got a pair of Sketchers Go Walk in black. Very light and very comfortable. The uppers are supposed to be leather but they look very cheap and artificial. The shoes kinda look like old stly black plimsolls. I wear them to work and also as casual shoes. However, they weren't cheap....or at least I paid quite a bit for them.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2013, 11:59 pm

i am into keens for their very wide toebox, even though i have relatively narrow feet.

however i've always liked skechers, and those are really cute. one of these days i will have to give them a try!

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

SparklyJacket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2013, 9:16 am

I used to have a really nice pair of Sketchers that I bought in an outlet village and I was devastated when they wore out. :(

My current favourites are a six year old pair of Etnies skater shoes but they're getting to the stage where they are wearing out a bit. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a suitable pair to replace them.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

I wouldn't be able to wear those, because there isn't enough room in the toebox. I actually gave up completely and started going barefoot full time over four years ago. The first week I was hypersensitive (ow ow ow) then I got blisters for four weeks, but even then it was so much easier. My brain felt lighter. I didn't realize how much energy it cost me to walk around in those clunkers.

Now if only I could do away with all the ridiculous pointless discrimination.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:22 pm

Opi wrote:
i am into keens for their very wide toebox, even though i have relatively narrow feet.

however i've always liked skechers, and those are really cute. one of these days i will have to give them a try!

Let me know if you like them. :D

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:23 pm

Anemone wrote:
I wouldn't be able to wear those, because there isn't enough room in the toebox. I actually gave up completely and started going barefoot full time over four years ago. The first week I was hypersensitive (ow ow ow) then I got blisters for four weeks, but even then it was so much easier. My brain felt lighter. I didn't realize how much energy it cost me to walk around in those clunkers.

Now if only I could do away with all the ridiculous pointless discrimination.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's quite a challenge finding shoes that fit perfectly and don't strangle my feet, lol. Where exactly have you gone to find shoes?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:23 pm

SparklyJacket wrote:
I used to have a really nice pair of Sketchers that I bought in an outlet village and I was devastated when they wore out. :(

My current favourites are a six year old pair of Etnies skater shoes but they're getting to the stage where they are wearing out a bit. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a suitable pair to replace them.

You could always buy an identical pair on eBay or Amazon. I plan to buy more of these at some point.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm

Pandanus wrote:
I've got a pair of Sketchers Go Walk in black. Very light and very comfortable. The uppers are supposed to be leather but they look very cheap and artificial. The shoes kinda look like old stly black plimsolls. I wear them to work and also as casual shoes. However, they weren't cheap....or at least I paid quite a bit for them.

That's what I will be buying after these are dead. I don't really care about style or anything, to be honest. Black is fine and they're soft, so I never really care. Their newer line of shoes looks probably better than these ones. I was just suggesting these based on my experience being in the store trying them on. Maybe try those? I got these for a steal, so I didn't mind.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:56 am

Kinme wrote:
Anemone wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's quite a challenge finding shoes that fit perfectly and don't strangle my feet, lol. Where exactly have you gone to find shoes?

I have never been able to find shoes that fit even sort-of well. Either they forced my toes to overlap, or they made my heels bleed (too stiff). I even tried custom-fit and they were too tight in the toes too! In the end I was wearing Ecco soft because at least my feet didn't bleed, but there was nowhere near enough room in the toebox.

Nothing fits like bare feet!

If barefoot doesn't suit you you could order an online kit and make huaraches, or wear flipflops, if you can walk in those. (I can't.)

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 2:43 am

Anemone wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Anemone wrote:

I have never been able to find shoes that fit even sort-of well. Either they forced my toes to overlap, or they made my heels bleed (too stiff). I even tried custom-fit and they were too tight in the toes too! In the end I was wearing Ecco soft because at least my feet didn't bleed, but there was nowhere near enough room in the toebox.

Nothing fits like bare feet!

If barefoot doesn't suit you you could order an online kit and make huaraches, or wear flipflops, if you can walk in those. (I can't.)

That's really unfortunate that you have those kinds of problems with finding shoes. I tend to wear really soft flipflops and Crocs when it's warm out. There are also slipper shoes that you can barely tell aren't shoes. Have you tried anything like slippers?

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 7:32 am

Kinme wrote:
That's really unfortunate that you have those kinds of problems with finding shoes. I tend to wear really soft flipflops and Crocs when it's warm out. There are also slipper shoes that you can barely tell aren't shoes. Have you tried anything like slippers?

Clearly you missed the part where I am happier barefoot. It is not a shame I cannot find shoes to fit. It is, in the long run, one of the best things to happen to me! (Except for the discrimination, which can be dealt with legally and through public education over time.)

Because shoes are bad for your feet and your overall health even when they fit right. It's like wearing corsets all the time instead of just once in a while for fun.