Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 11:36 am

Hi:
I am a fan of a certain type of genre and I am connected to a few groups on Facebook that happen to be in my state and my city. They have their own fan based meet ups once in a while. I recently decided to run my own monthly meet-ups after starting my own page. I shared my invite with everyone on a few of the groups of the fandom.
Anyway, I went to a meet up at a convention for a little while before I agreed to go home and the mall security kept telling us to get up and move to different locations. I finally started getting tired of moving next to the commotion of all the people around.

I got back and I had managed to make some posts on one of the groups reminding others again about the event while saying that we would not have to worry about moving around. I even posted on their group timeline independently without talking about the situation at the con.

One of the members one of their took offense to this and said that I needed to stop digging into the situation that was not their fault and especially when they worked so hard to plan the event. Then they mentioned that I was out of stock for trying to advertise like that. I had felt like I was being accused out of the blue like that by getting after them.

I said, "My apologies. I did mean to not offend anyone. It also seems like you are being condescending and I don't appreciate that."

They responded "You know what, I don't appreciate." Then they decided to set it where they could not receive anything else from me.

Was I too harsh and at their post? If so what can I say differently next time when it comes to trying to advertise my group on their group page?

Last edited by Summer_Twilight on 29 Sep 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

I get yelled at online a lot.

When this happens, I usually just ignore it.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 3:05 pm

The thing with me is that I am outspoken. If someone tries to condescend with me like that would be to let someone know how I feel.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 3:09 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
The thing with me is that I am outspoken. If someone tries to condescend with me like that would be to let someone know how I feel.

A gentle answer turns away wrath.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:29 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

A gentle answer turns away wrath.

I know but I was too harsh in the case of this person?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Sep 2013, 4:33 pm

Never happened to me, as far as I know. But I'd ask the person to calm down.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

The thing is, I am trying to start my own fandom meet up group and notify people on FB about it. I just felt like it was a good idea to makes posts on their group as a reminder.

However, it was evidently ticking some of them off for my doing that?

Do you see me trying to promote my new fan group and meet up events on there?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 10:06 pm

It's happened to me several years ago and I've gotten over it in recent years and that happened to me here on WP. I don't really wish to talk about what happened next. That was a very bad period in my life. I've also had someone stalking me waiting for me to post something about my special interest and than attacking me for being myself. That person has left WP to move on to other things.