Do aspies only enjoy the company of people...

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 5:07 am

[quote="CuriousMom123If I had an aspie family member who's known me for decades but didn't enjoy my company, is it possible that would change if I liked their special interest?[/quote]

Personality differences can not be overcome just by common interest. Personality differences are fundamental differences in approach to life and people.

I have a number of people at work who I just can't stand to talk to. Nothing but nothing will change that. They just rub me the wrong way, the end.

I don't talk to my brother for a similar reason. I have no want or desire to speak with him, be in his company, or give him my time. Nothing will change that.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

I enjoy the company of any people who can talk about intellectual stuff, or is reasonable or just generally pleasant.

Amazingly there are few such people in my side of the family. Loving my family is like hugging a cactus, I just have to grit my teeth and do it. I discovered not too long ago an aunt of mine is a clever and reasonable person. I was so excited. ( It took me a long time to learn her language so we have little contact before.)

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 10:48 am

interests can change. We are known for generally having intense loyalty to our friends. I imagine that would be the case if we no longer shared common interests. when I choose to love someone as a close friend, that love is FOREVER.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

I would be happy enough if people just accept that i have an oddly intense interest in something and don't mind me sometimes going on about it for a bit too long. although i never understand how people cannot be fascinated in what i am but i try not to force it upon people . if people are nice about it and are willing too listen then i am happy