Can't watch TV with other people around

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2013, 5:53 pm

Is this an Aspie thing? Maybe my Social Anxiety? anyone have this? I can't watch TV or listen to music with others around me for some reason, so I'm always in my room alone watching TV.

katkore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm

I'm not an expert though I think it may well have to do with social anxiety as well as with AS.
People make noises, like standing up or moving their feet on the floor, some even comment on the scenes (me :lol: ) and this may well have something to do with sensory issues, on the other hand there is also a social component in watching tv or listening to music in company which is based on body language and potential comments on what is going on, so a sort of pressure on your passive performance or analysis ability.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:25 pm

I prefer watching TV or movies alone because I want to concentrate solely on one thing at a time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 01 Oct 2013, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CuriousMom123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm

Me... but it's my ADHD. You are sitting there, and that distracts me. You are breathing too loud, and that distracts me.

CuriousMom123

30 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm

Me... but it's my ADHD. You are sitting there, and that distracts me. You are breathing too loud, and that distracts me.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 8:13 pm

When I'm playing video games, my family never, ever shut up. Yet, when they're watching TV, they expect absolute silence. This drives me insane. I can never do the things I enjoy without incessant distraction, so I end up just posting on forums in ALL of my free time, and it gets boring. :x

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 8:18 pm

It could be a focus thing--people can be distracting. It might be general poor focus, or you might just be distracted by only people, for the most part.

I'm mostly only able to focus on the computer when I'm alone, or even around most people other than my friend.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 11:07 pm

People distract me so badly that I've essentially stopped watching TV. If I get a burning desire to see something I'll go on Youtube on put on the wireless headphones

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:07 am

I prefer to watch alone, for the most part (very few exceptions) so I don't have to think about other people making comments--I have a hard enough time hearing the dialogue as it is.

Plus, I prefer to watch in my room because I'm usually on the computer at the same time...tend to get bored if I'm JUST watching TV.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 4:43 am

What else is there to do with other people than to watch TV?

This is the most absurd thread Ive ever read!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

I can't always focus on a TV programme when there are other people in the room. I always get an urge to talk. I can only focus if we have planned to watch a film or have been wanting to watch a certain TV programme what we're both/all interested in. Otherwise, I'm not a TV person anyway, and I find the TV a distraction.

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have RSD (Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria)
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic

yellowlab

01 Oct 2013, 1:47 pm

I can relate in a way when somebody comes in my room when I watching a movie or a T.V show I uncomfortable. It i snothing against them it's just how I always been. I working on it and I'm happy that I'm not the only one like this.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

katkore wrote:
I'm not an expert though I think it may well have to do with social anxiety as well as with AS.
People make noises, like standing up or moving their feet on the floor, some even comment on the scenes (me :lol: ) and this may well have something to do with sensory issues, on the other hand there is also a social component in watching tv or listening to music in company which is based on body language and potential comments on what is going on, so a sort of pressure on your passive performance or analysis ability.

My social anxiety has always been the main problem with my interacting with others because I just don't understand how some people need to organise their time and stick to a regulated schedule every day or maybe I just got depressed and stressed out from worrying about it. I've never been given the care and support of my elders or from those in a dedicated position as they are instantly at odds with the world that includes us in it.
Family t.v dinners were the worst for me.