Working in a Toy Store (Cashier vs Stocking Shelves)

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:40 am

Which would be better for a High School Aspie?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 8:09 am

Stocking shelves.

anelynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2013, 8:17 am

It would depend on how social you are. Cashier is a more structured position, however it requires a lot of into-action with people. Stocking you get a lot of alone time, but you are left to your own devices and must be good at time management. Personally I would choose cashier because of the support you can receive. Also stocking shelves can be very boring. It maybe wise to ask for a detailed description of both positions.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 8:24 am

anelynn wrote:
It would depend on how social you are. Cashier is a more structured position, however it requires a lot of into-action with people. Stocking you get a lot of alone time, but you are left to your own devices and must be good at time management.

I'm not very social, but I wont shut down if I have to interact with people. I may come across, however, as grumpy, or aloof. And when left to my own devices I sometimes lose focus or have trouble knowing what to do next. THis can lead to me just standing there, too forgetful to do anything but too shy to ask for a reminder.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2013, 9:11 am

In my younger days I worked at Toys R Us and then a large department store, and I can tell you that floor service is the best job to take at those kinds of places in my opinion. You do have to be social, but it's fairly structured (you just ask if customer needs help and go from there). You get to do different tasks, it's physically easier than stock, and not nearly as boring or hard on your legs as being stuck in one place at the cash register. I was mostly floor service at both jobs, but also filled in as stock or cash occasionally, and I never regreted choosing floor service as my permanent position.

Of course this is assuming your store is big enough to need floor service person as a job option.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:40 am

When I did retail and fast food-type work, when possible I always opted to remove myself as far from other people as possible, and did my best work when I was allowed to do so. I must say though that in my current job, I have to deal with lots of different people, and seem to do very well at it. Then, I'm a lot older now and have more experience dealing with people.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

It depends on your own tolerance for dealing with the public as a cashier. When I worked retail I was multi-duty cashier plus kind of a floor service capacity in small to medium-sized stores, and it was non-stop public interaction. I stepped up to the plate and just did those jobs, as I can "do" "warm and friendly" in order to function when that's needed -- but hated it, it was a strain, and I always burned out quickly, quitting the jobs after not very long.

In my last cashier + general assistance retail job, I spent most of my time strenuously trying to dodge customers and lurk in the back shelves of the store, stocking shelves! Stocking was part of our duties as it was a medium size store, but I found myself wishing that were my ONLY duty. And I envied the stockroom guy who just took delivery and unboxed stuff, who never had to deal with customers.

So if I were in your shoes right now, I'd leap at the stocking job and run a mile from cashier. Never again, for me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

I can't operate a cash register and deal with strangers at the same time. It's too easy to make mistakes while they're talking to you and when you lose other people's money (like your employer's), they have a tendency to get very upset. :oops:

OTOH, if I were stocking shelves, I would be constantly seeing cool new toys and end up spending half my paycheck on things I really didn't need before I ever got home with it. :?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

Willard wrote:
I can't operate a cash register and deal with strangers at the same time. It's too easy to make mistakes while they're talking to you

You've just reminded me about how much I hated that part of it, yes. They always chatted to me throughout the transaction and even in a simple one with few mistakes to make, I didn't like the distraction and could still make a mistake. Gahh... I never want to do that work again.

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2013, 2:35 pm

I've done both in a supermarket. I've been on check-outs and now I'm in the clothing department, so not exactly the same but stock does need to be replenished on the shelves and rails.
Personally, I prefer shelf-stacking as it were, because I'm comfortable with being to move around rather than being stuck in one place. Also, it's easier to slip out back to take a breather if things become too busy and overwhelming.
For me being on the check-outs was a little overwhemling due to the pressure of dealing with underage sales and asking for ID and so on. I found I was terrified that I would sell something to an minor and be caught by the police. That won't happen in a Toy shop, unless its one of those adult toy shops 8O
Try your hand at both if you can and see which you enjoy more.

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

Sorry about my first post. I work in a supermarket and it wouldn't be that similar to working in a toy shop, unless we talking Toys'R'Us big.
Anyway, I have worked in a bookshop over Christmas before. I worked both on the till and stacking the shelves. Perhaps you would be expected to do both? It's not easy working in a shop over Christmas.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

AshTrees wrote:
Sorry about my first post. I work in a supermarket and it wouldn't be that similar to working in a toy shop, unless we talking Toys'R'Us big. .

It is a Toys R Us, a big one but not a huge one

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

As I experienced both (and asked to be moved from cashier to stocker) I would say that while the stock is an 'easier' position and more enjoyable I'm glad I had some cashiering experience. It helped to really get me out of my shell and I learned so many invaluable skills. I would say if it's for a short term and you are young and inexperienced, go with the cashier one. I did wonders for me although after a few months I had enough.

Part time cashier is good, full time (after university) was an absolute nightmare for me. I can't imagine how anyone can do that for a career: I would think maximum security prison would be easier.