Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

retep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2013, 2:43 am

Seems to be a fairly common association... that Aspies identify with felines.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm Aspie all over, but have no use whatsoever for cats (except maybe that they're good for training dogs :lol:. Just kidding of course!)

On the other hand, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool dog lover. I relate well to dogs and they seem to know it.

(Caveat; I dislike the little pooky 'kick-me' dogs I see frumpy old women carrying around in Walmart, and especially the ones that attack the car windows trying to rip your face off when you walk past their car in the parking lot.)

Last edited by retep on 03 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 2:48 am

I have ever heard of this cat link, but I love cats as they are so cute :D

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2013, 3:00 am

There's that book: All Cats Have Asperger's (or a title similar to that.)

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 3:02 am

Do you have to ask? He's one of us:

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:05 am

I've always loved cats and that includes the Big Cats.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:15 am

I do love my little cat, who I accidentally ended up owning. But I always have been, and always will be, a fanatic dog lover.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:26 am

Not me. Cats, wired to kill small (often baby) defenseless creatures just for kicks, are the sociopaths of the animal kingdom. Just a little larger & they'd be ripping limbs off of your children just to pass the time.

EQ: 6.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:29 am

There's a neighbourhood stray cat that adopted me. I call her Missy. She eats and sleeps here, otherwise she basically just gallivants around the neighbourhood all day. I'm not even a big fan of cats, but oh well.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:42 am

Cats have gravitated to me all my life, however along the way I still learned to like dogs. I think many of us can glean valuable clues about our lives and our world from such sensitive creatures, provided we know how to keep them in line. Raising a cat from a kitten is tricky, but teaching grown cats is impossible, one must just know how to get messages across. As soon as I can afford a roof of my own, I need to find a kitten...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 3:59 am

Maybe some Aspies can relate more to cats because they are less social, and can excel at some things like being agile and jumping and climbing and avoiding bad falls, and are sometimes pretty strange and eccentric. Just some guesses, I may be totally wrong.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 4:40 am

Cats are fairly quiet animals (although there are some whingy talkative breeds) that don't get in your face and jump all over you. They are happy to sit next to you and just chill out. Very low maintenance company animals.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 5:51 am

Heres how I see it:

Dogs are too affectionate and often bother you when you want to be left alone
Cats can be affectionate, but they also give you space when you want it.

If you are feeling down and want to spend time with your pet, your cat will always be ready becauses since they catnap they can be there any time, while sleeping dogs are impossible to deal with, espicially if they are sleeping somewhere you dont want them to.

ChameleonKeys
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2013, 6:32 am

I have never heard of this stereotype and doubt there is anything terribly significant about it. However I am definitely a 'cat person'. I have nothing against dogs, I just prefer cats. Dogs are quite clingy and socially demanding animals and they're often very pushy. Cats are more independent and mellow and will give and receive affection but not force it. They're much more respectful of boundaries. I do like the typical canine loyalty and protectiveness of family members (part of their 'pack') but it's not enough to make me favour them over cats. I also like horses, for similar reasons to cats. Though as herd animals they are more sociable than felines, horses are not pushy and silly about it. I do not like intrusive pets. Dogs remind me of kindly, well meaning, over-enthusiastic, dim-witted people who can't kept to themselves. Oh and dogs smell dreadful even when very clean. They're beautiful but they stink.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 6:33 am

My son likes cats, he likes all animals actually but his first love is definitely dogs..

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 8:04 am

Internet and cats, not Aspies and cats. Have another look around.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 8:20 am

I like both cats and dogs (gasp! I know...). However, I really prefer rats. They're the best of both worlds! They love being petted and scratched, they can laugh if you tickle them the right way and also grind their teeth in pleasure, they can play fetch or play with toys, they will come when you call them, they will sit happily on your shoulder, you can let them run around the house (close off small places, of course!)... They keep themselves clean like a cat, their waste stays in the cage, they can exercise just fine around your house...

They're loving and intelligent creatures, and it's a shame that many people fear them. The only problems with rats are that they don't live very long ( :( ) and they pee all over you (the boys, anyway!) :lol: