people thinking you are anxious when you are not

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 5:20 am

this happens often to me, when I am in a classroom setting I cannot keep still, especially when standing. the number of times I have been asked whether I am anxious, or that I look worried, when I am perfectly fine, I was concentrating on doing something in a lab yesterday and the lab teacher comes up and asks me if I am anxious, I was just concentrating on what I was doing and found it interesting.

I am not sure I like people thinking I am anxious all the time when I am not

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:44 am

I wouldn't like it, either. I think this used to happen to me, but not anymore

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 9:25 am

Moving around a lot is seen as fidgeting, which can be a nervous thing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

Still happens to me often

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

I get it too, not just when I'm standing there fidgeting, but also when I'm walking through a building with a particular purpose in mind. I'm thinking "OK I think the room I want is over there". But an NT person will stop me in the hall and ask me what is wrong. Apparently I make people think I'm frantically looking for something or someone, when I'm just heading toward my destination.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

Prior to being diagnosed with ADHD people often misinterpretted my pacing, fidgetting, and hyperactivity for anxiety. At that time I used to attend a drop-in for people with mental health issues which was run by Richmond Fellowship

I fully understand why they interpretted my behaviour in this way as an anxious person may behave in that way. Anxiety triggers the "fight or flight response" which is caused by an adrenaline surge. Someone in that state is likely to appear restless.

Thankfully, after being diagnosed with ADHD & put on medication (which actually works by increasing adrenaline) I no longer constantly behave all hyper, so people no longer keep asking me if I am anxious.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:34 am

I have the same problem.

People also think I am unhappy when I am not.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 2:12 am

A lot of my stims make me look nervous and people say I look mad all the time

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:56 am

I have this problem. My doctor views it as either anxiety or mania, even though I feel calm in both cases, LOL.

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2013, 4:16 am

Another case of people thinking they can read aspies (etc.) better than they acctually can.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 8:03 am

it upsets me a bit that people think i an anxious when i am not, someone also told me i looked incredibly calm when i was in fact stressed. I thought the aspies were the ones with the trouble in reading others emotions haha

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

I think people can't tell when I'm anxious. As much problems as I've had with going to the dentist and gynecologist not once have I ever even been asked if I want valium or anything else to help with anxiety even though it's so bad I only go to the dentist if I'm in agonizing pain and didn't go to the gynecologist until I had cervical cancer.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 4:06 pm

It may be that you have difficulty displaying emotions appropriate for the situation you are in...so perhaps your "resting" face or body language is read by other people as being uncomfortable, and your calm face is the expression you show when you're stressed. A good portion of people on the spectrum have this too - so you're not alone.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2013, 4:07 pm

franknfurter wrote:
it upsets me a bit that people think i an anxious when i am not, someone also told me i looked incredibly calm when i was in fact stressed. I thought the aspies were the ones with the trouble in reading others emotions haha

I actually had a situation where my little boy (who is PDD(nos)) had run off and was found a few minutes later -- some paramedics had him and were looking for the parents. I went down the street to claim him, and instead of being happy that they had found the parent, they were pretty worried -- because they did not perceive that either one of us was showing the kind of emotion that they expected. They did not want to give him over to me, and I guess I still had self-esteem issues from always feeling like a second class citizen (side effect of of living with ASD for 30 years.) Otherwise I should have been saying, "How dare you" and getting pretty upset. But instead I just felt completely powerless and waited for my wife to get there and explain the whole thing.

A few years later, this is still a pretty painful experience to recount.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 7:09 am

since my hands shake all the time people think that means I am anxious. (when I am not).

melissajean
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2013, 1:26 am

It feels great to have so many other people say they have this same experience. I am always having people tell me that I seem anxious and that I need help with that. Yes, sometimes I am actually anxious but usually I am not. They don't listen to me when I tell them that my depression is much worse than my anxiety. Gotta love NTs.