Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its named after Dr. Hans Asperger.

Dr. Hans Asperger himself (or his family line) was named after the word "asperger".

An 'asperger" is someone who 'aspergs"- which is to do the ritual of sprinkling holy water in a Catholic church.

In English the word for a person who aspergs is pronounced with a soft 'g' (the J sound) like 'general' , and (ironically) like the word "German". In the English speaking world you 'asperJ' in a catholic church, not 'asperG'.

There is a city in Germany called Asperg:

There are many names in Germanspeaking countries that ends with "er" and a name of a village or city in front of it. It means that an ancestor is from that city.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

Why everyone, including I, tend to say 'burgers' insteads of 'pergers' I dont know.

Its hard to hear the difference, and we are all used to hearing place names that end with "burg"( which means 'town"), or 'berg' which means 'mountain'. So, atleast in my case, I used to assume the name originated as a place name- that its named after a "burg" or a "berg"- so I got in the habit of saying it that way.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 4:27 pm

retep wrote:

In Austria, due to the inflection of their Germanic accent, it would be properly pronounced something a bit more like Ahz-pe-gu. The 'r' would be silent and the 'e' would sound more like what we know as a shortened soft 'u', sort of. Same applies to Hans, it'd be pronounced 'haawnce', not 'hands'. (English is sooo weird!)

Don't go overboard with that German 'a', though. Pronouncing it 'hunce' (to rhyme with 'dunce') would be close enough already. It's a slightly more open sound than the 'u' in 'dunce', but it's pronounced kind of short in both German and Dutch.

When speaking English, I actually pronounce Asperger as 'ass-pur-gur', but I'm not sure on which syllable the stress is supposed to go, so I vary between the first syllable and the second.

When speaking Dutch, I pronounce it 'us-PAIR-khur', where the 'kh' represents the Dutch 'g' (the scrapy sound that you can also find in Spanish and Hebrew).

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2013, 4:37 pm

I've always pronounced it "As-Perg-er's", to avoid sounding like I'm saying assburgers.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 5:02 pm

I don't understand the whole 'burger' thing, anyway. Sequential voicing or de-voicing should only kick in if one of the consonants in sequence were voiced to begin with. Do you guys pronounce aspirin as 'az-birin', too?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 7:12 pm

Aspergers

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

retep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2013, 1:25 am

Codyrules37 wrote:
I have buttboogers

Careful Cody... your maturity level is showing!

When you grow up, we'd love to hear what you have to say. But until you do, please stop trolling the threads.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I don't understand the whole 'burger' thing, anyway. Sequential voicing or de-voicing should only kick in if one of the consonants in sequence were voiced to begin with. Do you guys pronounce aspirin as 'az-birin', too?

I say ass-prin ('æs.prɪn). I don't even pronounce the first 'i'. It's not a z when I say it, either. But, you'll see, I do pronounce aspirin with a p and Asperger's with a b.