Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 6:37 am

Did anyone else have the last Google Chrome update try to install something like three or four programs including a new PC backup utility, a desktop organizer, and all kinds of really bad toolbars? What I've noticed is that it keeps telling me that I need to install the latest version now after I refused all the crap they were putting on my computer. If that turns out to be a new direction in Google service I'd have to admit I'm in a bad way - what with it now going to the same heap with Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 7:23 am

I'd hazard a guess that it's a virus of some sort.

Author/Writer

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 1:19 pm

Those things have nothing to do with the Chrome installation or update.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

It could be malware but if so it's like nothing I've ever seen before. I did download Malwarebytes and I've been cleaning off as much garbage as I possibly can.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 5:22 pm

If nothing else works, get rid of Chrome, and use Chromium, which is essentially Chrome w/o all of the other crap from Google.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 6:21 pm

Fogman wrote:
If nothing else works, get rid of Chrome, and use Chromium, which is essentially Chrome w/o all of the other crap from Google.

I would say that all of the features Chrome has that Chromium lacks, except for user metrics and crash reporting, are valuable to the user.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 8:45 pm

I've used Avast, I've used Malwarebytes, and I'm still getting pop-up raped. I clicked a button on the browser, it doesn't work, oh yeah - duh - a replacement redirect page advertising eclipses it, every third or forth site I visit.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

Zodai wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that it's a virus of some sort.

I think so. I have Chrome on Win7 Mac OS 10.8 and iOS 7 and I have seen nothing like the stuff the OP describes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 7:28 pm

I found the culprit. It was a valid Google extention called 'Lyrics Monkey'. I had a pop up add for FLV player every third new page I loaded and an entire website, another forum I'd go to, was completely and totally blocked off by their rubbish.

I'm pretty sure it was a Google thing.