A Universal Symbol for Autism/Asperger's Pride?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:43 am

Is the Puzzle Ribbon a symbol for Autism Pride? Or is it only used by the "Cure Perspective"? Is there an International, National, or Regional Ribbon or other symbol for Autism/Aspie Pride?

If there isn't any, why hasn't anybody created one?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:50 am

I hazard a guess that many of us might not want another logotype in the back of our minds, but I think the puzzle ribbon is somewhat universally recognized among this community. I for one even appreciate the sentiment when people suggest outlandish causes for the condition. Welcome to the future, when any publicity is good publicity!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

Asperger96 wrote:
Is the Puzzle Ribbon a symbol for Autism Pride? Or is it only used by the "Cure Perspective"? Is there an International, National, or Regional Ribbon or other symbol for Autism/Aspie Pride?

There is; the rainbow infinity symbol. I prefer it to the puzzle piece symbol.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 10:47 am

Callista wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:

There is; the rainbow infinity symbol. I prefer it to the puzzle piece symbol.

THanks

That looks so great. I'm gonna iron it on a black shirt and wear it

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 11:34 am

Asperger96 wrote:
THanks

I misread that as 'iron it on my back' and got concerned. 8O

I prefer to go without a symbol, as I feel that any visual logo ill-represents the nature of a neurological disorder.

Furthermore, a universal symbol for autism as a symbol of empowerment should be something that everyone on the spectrum could agree on.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:
THanks

I misread that as 'iron it on my back' and got concerned. 8O

I prefer to go without a symbol, as I feel that any visual logo ill-represents the nature of a neurological disorder.

Furthermore, a universal symbol for autism as a symbol of empowerment should be something that everyone on the spectrum could agree on.

(If I ironed it on my back, know one could see it :P )

How on earth could you get an entire community of any form to agree on one things? My perogative is to get someone to say "Why are you wearing colorful math symbols? Asperger's? What's that? Oh, that's cool. I didn't know that."
Thus Spread Awareness

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 4:42 pm

I have been making earrings and necklaces in crystal with the red, light blue, dark blue and yellow colors but I like the rainbow infinity symbol, too. I'd have to buy more crystals for those, though.... :D Green, orange, purple, indigo--this could get very fun.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 11:41 pm

definitely not the puzzle that is just as hate filled as a swastika is to the ethnodiversity movement. The reasoning behind this is a fitting into a society which is only designed by and for allistics and represents an attempt at an assimilation into a set of norms and codes of behaviour set up by and for allistic people and this is not what the Aspergian people needs at all but a celebration and full expression of the self in a freely changing society and what represents that is the rainbow infinity symbol for Aspergians or people that have HFA have the rainbow circle as well. :idea:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

I will NEVER accept being thought of as a puzzle

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:13 pm

I don't mind the puzzle symbol myself, but when I see it, I take it as a sign they haven't been listening to autistics because I know so many others hate it.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

To represent a spectrum, a prism would seem to be the most appropriate symbol, as it differentiates the elements of the visible light spectrum, allowing them to be appreciated both individually and collectively.

Unfortunately, Pink Floyd has been using the best example of that for several decades now, but surely someone can come up with a variation on that theme without infringing any copyrights. Perhaps some sort of kaleidoscope pattern.

Just rainbow colors is not enough, that will only be confused with the LGBT community - it must include the prism, to encapsulate the "spectrum" concept.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm

Just a sketch, but something like this:

Image" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Someone with better computer graphics skills than I could turn it into a proper logo. I kind of like the idea that it subliminally contains the double-A for Autism Awareness.

Another way to visualize it would be to draw it from above, looking down on the prism from the top, seeing it as a more 3-dimensional pyramid. Anyway, it's not a puzzle piece and it uses the "spectrum" symbolism to reflect the concept of neurodiversity.

Given that this thread was begun two years ago and has only a handful of posts, I'm sensing nobody really cares. :roll:

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 7:01 pm

Cleaned up a bit, again, not that anyone cares.

Image" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />