Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

I don't think it could ever be "cured", because it's not even an illness. I'l tell you what is an illness: Anaemia is.
Being Asperger is not. Being different from the rest is something great, and just because there are haters out there, there's no reason to put oneself down about it.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 9:19 am

If I didn't have AS I wouldn't be me, and despite my limitations I quite like me.

But -- if I were given the choice to re-run my life over from conception -- I would choose to be born neurotypical. Assuming that my essential personality would operate within a different neurological architecture, I think my life would be a lot happier and more successful without the social limitations imposed on me by AS.

But since that's never going to happen, there's no point in thinking about it.

But when I think of how much easier it must be to run with the herd, have your lifestyle choices handed to you from a menu, not have to overinterpret social situations, not have to have that repetitive tendency going on in your head all the time, being highly flexible and socially adaptable ...

DoomtrainUK29
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2013, 6:37 am

To an introvert who is happy being alone, autism/aspergers is ok

to an extrovert who needs social connection autism/aspergers is a perpetual nightmare

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 6:43 am

Being different is better.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 8:13 am

Dredd was shot outside of my office :D

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 12:21 am

I've only been diagnosed with AS about 2 months, but I've known I was "different" for most of my life. People have submitted me to all kinds of pills and therapies, hoping to normalize me. They keep saying I should change because of their inability (or unwillingness) to accept me as I am; it sounds very hypocritical, and hurts me a lot sometimes.