Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 4:15 pm

the teacher in question sounds like a rank bully and needs to be blackballed from teaching.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm

Unfortunately, they had to that because of laws. They said it clearly in the video. I seriously root for this kid though. I know what it feels like to not have a voice. I hope he gets the help he needs with his IEP.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 4:43 pm

there are way too many bad teachers.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 6:18 pm

Quote:
She told me and my parents that at Northport High School what it means to respect adults as my disorder makes it hard for me to understand this I have an intellectual and developmental disability that affects my social thinking.

This tells me exactly what the teacher's attitude is.

I think this whole mess is simply the public school system + social laws, (being designed for an NT society) not being able to (or perhaps careing to) accomodate individuals who have a different operating environment.

Ranieri obviously has specific challanges. I think the public school system just won't be capable of accomodating him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 6:19 pm

GregCav wrote:
Ranieri obviously has specific challanges. I think the public school system just won't be capable of accomodating him.

not so much incapable as unwilling to accommodate him or students like him.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 6:38 pm

I think it's great the way his Mom and his Dad backed him up. :D

And the part at the end where the young man mentioned his Self-Advocacy organization. It sounds like he has a pretty good one.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 7:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
GregCav wrote:

not so much incapable as unwilling to accommodate him or students like him.

Unfortunetly the school system is tightly controlled by government regulation. And being a government body, they take laws litteraly and firmly. This is why I say the public system can't handle people who sit outside the round hole system. (refreing to being a square peg needing to fit into a round hole).

Private schools are not as bound by government directives as the public school system is. There will be some more flexibility within the private system.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 7:21 pm

in America, private schools generally cost a king's ransom. if the parents cannot afford that, it would seem they are out of luck.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2013, 7:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
in America, private schools generally cost a king's ransom. if the parents cannot afford that, it would seem they are out of luck.
Sometimes public school districts do fund an out of district placement. Speaking from experience.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 7:28 pm

Epsilon wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Sometimes public school districts do fund an out of district placement. Speaking from experience.

from the sound of things, the parents are gonna have to hire a lawyer to get that from the school.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

The school may yet come through. The young man said that his resource teacher (I think) was not doing her job but he did not mention her name, and thus in a sense . .

. . he flashed the Ace but did not play it. And this can be risky but also advantageous (maybe from here on out, the teachers will be on their better behavior).

In Texas hold'em terms, perhaps he did overplay the flop. So be it, that becomes part of the texture of the hand. It is still yet a winnable hand. No guarantees, but the school may yet come through.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:30 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer; that assumes that a teacher can be held accountable. It also assumes that the headmaster will follow up with some form of discipline for their lack of following his education plan. It then assumes that the teacher will change their ways and start doing their job appropriately

I'm betting that the headmaster, the teacher, and the board of education don't give a rats.

I believe he may end up kicking up such a stir that he forces himself out of the school system. It's like making friends, you can't force someone to like you, you can't force an employer to treat you well, and you can't force an education system you teach you just the way you like it. He may win a battle, but I think he'll lose the war in the long run.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:35 pm

the family needs a legal equalizer.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 1:46 pm

GregCav wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer; that assumes that a teacher can be held accountable. It also assumes that the headmaster will follow up with some form of discipline for their lack of following his education plan. It then assumes that the teacher will change their ways and start doing their job appropriately . . .

Yes, absolutely, some things would have to go in the student's favor.

It could turn out that the resource teacher resents being referred to, and wages a sub rosa war. I hope not. But that kind of thing goes on all the time, as I'm sure we all know.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

1:55 into the video, the young man talks about how the day before the situation, there was a meeting with himself, his Mom, his Dad, his resource room teacher, the school psychologist, and his assistant principal.

So, one lesson I draw is fewer big meetings, more ping-ponging.

And by ping-ponging, I mean more healthy interplay between theory and practice.