Intense physical and/or mental work reduces stimming

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2013, 3:59 am

I find that intense physical or mental work or exercise reduces my stimming. Does anyone else find that?

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:31 pm

No.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm

Intense mental work actually gets me to want to get up and pace.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 10:40 pm

If I'm intensely doing something on my computer, I'll realize after a while I'm bouncing my knees or my feet, which I suspect is my form of stimming. (I hardly ever flick my fingers and haven't for a long time.)

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm

I need to stim during intense mental work, also to release my creativity

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

during intense mental work I bounce my leg a lot. And if I'm holding a pen I will click the top over and over again.

After a bout of phsyical exercise though, I do less stimming. Usually I come home and fall on the couch and nap (so there's really no opportunity to stim since I'm sleeping). When I wake up, I'm all back to normal and I start to stim again.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2013, 5:24 am

Yes. I've been observing my responses to intense physical exercise of late and it definitely doesn't stop stimming. I think I'm less aware of my own stimming because I'm so focussed on the physical exertion. I do still think it can re-orientate stimming such that stimming does not cease but changes its form. When in my 30s I used to chew hair off my arms up to the elbows; you couldn't have found anything more than a stubble of hair on my arms. After landscaping the garden intensely I stopped this and did not realise it until sometime later when I noticed I had hair on my arms again. I am actually quite hairy. Of course, other stims proceeded.