Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 9:25 am

woodster wrote:
meems wrote:
Being fit/eating a healthy diet doesn't always provide the "total package". I'm pretty physically fit, but I have an autoimmune disorder and OCD, for example. I mean that's not the only stuff I deal with but my point is that physical fitness doesn't create a significantly better life for everyone.

ill take your word for it.

I sincerely hope you do woodster. While I think that good health is pretty important, I find that most people who hold your opinion totally fail at understanding that good health is more than just what society has decided is a proper diet and a proper amount of exercise. (And I say that because over the past 60-70 years, we've been fed so many 'facts' that have turned out to be wrong regarding both diet and exercise, I don't know why I should particularly trust the newest health movements anymore than previous ones.) I know what it's like to exercise and feel great. But the last decade of my life has been me feeling like s**t from exercising, felt like it made things worse. I too have an autoimmune disorder, and I didn't bring it upon myself.

Also, to all the people not being able to cook for yourself or eat healthy because it takes too much time, requires too much planning, etc, if you truly felt that it was a priority, you'd probably make the time. My celiac diagnosis means I cannot eat out anymore. I can't eat most packaged foods labelled 'gluten free' either, not that I should due to how incredibly expensive they are.
The difference between me and you is quite simple, eating out is no longer an option for me. When you have no options, you make do. If that means bland food because that's all you have energy to make, that's what you'll eat.

Yes, it is naïve to think that everyone can plant a garden and can go to a farmer's market. A garden requires ownership of culturable land, usually a house that has a backyard not in a desert region (a sizable chunk of the US is desert). It's not 1950 anymore, sorry. Farmer's markets are FAR more scarce than grocery stores. Finally, you're assuming everyone has the energy, time and expertise to garden. And this is all tied into a point I feel that I should bring up. All the OP needed to do to make her point is to cite the number of people who use food banks as their primary sources of food as people who have a very limited option of what they can eat for themselves. You simply can't get fresh food from them. One must also consider what makes the person use the food bank in the first place.

Poor motivation

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 11:26 am

ASDsmom wrote:
2) you can grow your own garden

I can't. I don't have dirt in my yard. It's all blacktop.

I don't really have any way to get a healthy diet. I have no income and don't buy the groceries in my house. We get our groceries at Walmart once a week because we have a relative that drives my mother there to get them. Otherwise we'd have to take two buses each way, plus lug a cart full of groceries on the bus or take an expensive cab home. When my mother is gone my diet will be even less healthy probably because I'll be flat broke and I don't really cook anything more complex than ramen noodles or heating up a can of soup.

When I was a kid we had a grocery store within walking distance of my house but now there aren't any grocery stores that I could walk to.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2013, 4:18 pm

Well for me it is. My mother just goes to the supermarket and there she buys healthy food.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:40 pm

hanyo wrote:
ASDsmom wrote:
2) you can grow your own garden

I can't. I don't have dirt in my yard. It's all blacktop..

Grow them in pots. We started buy beer/wine barrels and making our own boxes ground up because for whatever reason, anything planted in the ground was not growing. We grow all sorts of things and you can too if you have space.

Quote:
I don't really cook anything more complex than ramen noodles or heating up a can of soup.

That's where the problem is .. not with the lack of soil.