Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 4:56 am

Interesting enough, the Chicago White Sox won the year after against the Houston Astros and ruined that team's first apperance in the series. The White Sox broke their own curse after the Black Sox scandal in 1919.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

20 Oct 2013, 5:25 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
Interesting enough, the Chicago White Sox won the year after against the Houston Astros and ruined that team's first apperance in the series. The White Sox broke their own curse after the Black Sox scandal in 1919.

On another note, that World Series matchup is impossible now, thanks to the Houston Astros' move the American League this season. (Although, personally, I would've rather seen either Milwaukee move back there or Colorado move.)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 5:43 am

equestriatola wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:

On another note, that World Series matchup is impossible now, thanks to the Houston Astros' move the American League this season. (Although, personally, I would've rather seen either Milwaukee move back there or Colorado move.)

Well, because of the move, all six divisions now have five teams, although the Astros were terrible this year.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 2:10 pm

Here is my NT post for the day: "Go Cards!"

There. I did it. Now I have sensory overload and have to lie down.

Pitabread123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Here is my NT post for the day: "Go Cards!"

There. I did it. Now I have sensory overload and have to lie down.

Hahaha hats off to you sir.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 7:41 am

The Cardinals are winning. I understand Game 3 had a controversial call.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 9:58 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
The Cardinals are winning. I understand Game 3 had a controversial call.

Video
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic ... d=31185453

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2013, 4:52 am

Hey fellow Beard-grabbing fans, I can't sleep, so I put down my thoughts about the game and the series thus far...

The Series is down to a best of three, as the Red Sox book-ended two Cardinal victories with wins of their own, and nobody is doubting that this series will go seven games. Only one of the last 10 series has gone the distance, with the St Louis Cardinals taking out the Texas Rangers in seven in 2011.
The incredibly rock-solid bullpen of the Red Sox has gone stale in the two Red Sox losses, with Craig Breslow being culprit number one.

Did Anyone think bringing relief pitcher Craig Breslow into his 3rd straight World Series game (he took part in both of the Red Sox two previous losses) was a good idea? He had already made a bad judgement in overthrowing to 3rd base and allowing the go-ahead run score for the Cardinals in game 2, and then allowed the tying runs to score in an eventual game 3 loss. He hadn't allowed in the playoffs in seven appearances before the last three games of the World Series, including an effective outing in Game One. This time, the damage was minimal, as manager John Farrell mercifully lifted him after only surrendering one run. Breslow had a 1.81 Earned-Run-Average this season, to go along with his career 2.82 Earned-Run-Average.

In that Game 2 loss, after Big Papi David Ortiz hit his 17th career playoff home-run, the Cardinals had runners on second and third with one out. The left-fielder Johnny Gomes, playing in front of the Green Monster at Fenway, caught a not-so-deep flyball with the Red Sox ahead 2-1 in the top of the 7th. He had a good bead on throwing out the runner David Freese, but threw the ball up the first base line, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia couldn't corral the baseball. Breslow was backing up the play, caught the ball, and instinctively threw over to 3rd base when he saw the runner on 2nd, John Jay, trying to take 3rd base. The throw was off, and the ball got away, allowing Jay to score the go-ahead run. The Cardinals would score another run in the inning on a Carlos Beltran single, and the Sox lost 4-2.

In game 3 Breslow fared slightly better, in that he didn't actually allow the RBI double by Matt Holliday that put the Cards ahead 4-2 in an eventual 5-4 loss. He did give up a dink hit, and then hit Carlos Beltran with a pitch to set up those runs. In Breslow's defense, it did appear that Beltran actually put his elbow into the ball. Considering that there was an eventual game-ending obstruction call on the Red Sox, it seems strange that umpires don't call the batter out when they step so deliberately into the pitch, or when runners try to take a shortstop out at second trying to break up a double-play.

To spread the blame around, Will Middlebrooks figured in the game 3 loss, also. He couldn't field Matt Holliday's double down the line that scored the runners Breslow had put on. Then, in the 9th inning, when the game was tied 4-4, he couldn't stop Jarrod Saltilamacchia's overthrow to 3rd base, (the 2nd by the Red Sox in the series) and then while laying on the ground, obstructed the runner Allen Craig from heading home with the winning run. Craig was awarded Home Plate to give the Cardinals the series-lead.

All is well with the Red Sox as of now, with the new resident hillbilly of the 2013 Red Sox, Jonny Johnson Gomes (that's his real middle name), he of the Duck Dynasty beard, hit a screamer into the Red Sox bullpen to give the Red Sox a 4-1 lead, and atone for his muffing of the throw in game 2. Koji Uehara made pinch-runner Kolten Wong look bush-league, picking him off to end game 4. Wong had come in to run for Allen Craig, who was injured after getting knotted up with Will Middlebrooks during the obstruction that ended game 3. That left the possible game-tying run, Carlos Beltran gaping in disbelief at home-plate. Game 6 is tonight, and Jon Lester will try to best Cardinal ace Adam Wainwright like he did in game one, and send the Sox back to Fenway with a chance to win the series.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:43 pm

My Cards are a great team but they're just not hitting and they are leaving too many men on base. As a Cards fan, I have to say that the trajectory is toward a Boston victory in 7 games.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 4:24 am

The Red Sox win in 6 games at home!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Nov 2013, 3:38 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
The Red Sox win in 6 games at home!

For the Boston Marathon bombing victims...... Boston Strong. To quote Winston Churchill, "Never, never give in!"

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."