Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:23 pm

A friend of mine has a son my sons age, they were in the same special ed pre school and have been friends ever since.

She is having issues getting him ASD diagnosis, even though he is so ASD, high functioning though. He got ADHD and behavior issues, etc...but not ASD. She is working with a therapist now who asked for resources to show that kids on the spectrum can have good behavior in school and meltdowns at home. he was always in self contained, now blended small ration with many adults class and holds it together, but when he comes home he is a mess, meltdown after meltdown. This momma needs a proper diagnosis for her kid. and a professional who will listen to more then just the school report or behaves fine in class.

Any links or resources would be great!

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 7:40 am

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2012/04 ... ot-at.html

This is about a little girl, but does at least demonstrate that Aspie kids DO have this. It's more common in girls, though I'm sure boys (especially boys who have been ABAed or otherwise "trained" in how they must act at school) do it too.

This was my experience of being an Asperger's child. My grandma basically lay-ABAed me to within an inch of my life by the time I was old enough for kindergarten. God bless her, she meant well. I'm grateful. God only knows what my life would have been if she hadn't taught me to hold myself together with iron straps. I might not be so high-functioning today, might not have had the educational opportunities...

...I also might not be such a nervous wreck. I might not be having to use those iron straps to hold myself back from doing the same thing to my son "for his own damned good."

Enough projecting my issues into this thread. PLEASE explain to them that Asperger's kids (especially ones who have had early behavioral intervention) CAN and DO do this ALL THE TIME. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain to them that the price it carries is a lifetime of anxiety disorders, and he needs if not necessarily a Dx a better way to cope. SOON.

I'd want to beg your friend to look and look and look until she finds some place that ALREADY KNOWS THIS. If your friend is anywhere near western PA, I'll tell you that right now I'm puttiing my hopes in the child and adolescent folks at West Penn Allegheny. The people in the department next door saved my life, so maybe.