Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Does anyone else here have a high pain tolerance? I can be injured and not feel it much. Helps for the migraines I get, although I don't have a high tolerance for nausea / vertigo / other vestibular symptoms.

zugunruh3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2013, 2:28 pm

I think I have a fairly high pain tolerance. I can work through migraines even though I feel like crap. I live with pain daily because of extensive spinal surgery I had years ago, so being tolerant of pain is fairly useful. Even though I usually stay around a 5 or 6 on a 1-10 pain scale I tend to be able to do daily activities, provided I pace myself properly. I also can force myself to work through it if we're going out somewhere (museum, restaurant, etc), but I usually pay for it over the next few days.

Sometimes I really worry that I'll have something wrong with me, an indicator will be pain, and I either won't realize it or won't think it serious enough to communicate to a doctor. I have a hard time communicating that I'm in pain to begin with. Luckily my husband can read me fairly well and knows that if I say something about hurting then I really hurt!

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

The only type of pain that I find unbearable are migraines (which I get a lot of). Other pain I don't find too bothersome. I broke my arm twice skateboarding and went hours without pain meds, hell, the first time I broke it, it was like 9 at night (and I was pretty tired) so I slept with it broken and went to the hospital in the morning (not the smartest thing to do apparently).

zugunruh3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

devark wrote:
The only type of pain that I find unbearable are migraines (which I get a lot of). Other pain I don't find too bothersome. I broke my arm twice skateboarding and went hours without pain meds, hell, the first time I broke it, it was like 9 at night (and I was pretty tired) so I slept with it broken and went to the hospital in the morning (not the smartest thing to do apparently).

I did that when I broke my arm as a kid! I think I was 5-6. My parents said I didn't cry, didn't say it hurt or anything, I just laid down and took a nap. That's how they knew something was wrong, I usually never nap. :lol:

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

Yeah. One time I climbed over a barbed wire fence, then I walked about 10 yards, put my hands out in front of me to grab something and they were covered in blood. 8O I don't give relevance to pain... generally. After I noticed my hands were bleeding I vaguely remembered feeling pain when I climbed the fence. It was no small cut though. That's just one instance.
Cuts- don't notice really
Pinch- I'm most reactive to pinches
Hard impacts- Rage and yelling if it hurts enough, but usually just tear up and keep moving.
Deep scratch- same as cut.
Strain- I have a high pain tolerance here, but of course I react.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 1:08 pm

It can depend on the type of pain or injury, I usually am hyposensetive, I can break a bone and only feel slight discomfort if anything at all, most cuts arn't too painful and my usual course for first aid is to simply wrap some electrical tape around the area of injury to put some pressure on it, thats all I need to carry on. Needles and some small injurys in a couple of perticular places are another matter though this may be psychological as I have stepped on nails and walked away fine with only minor discomfort.

Last edited by rapidroy on 12 Oct 2013, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm

Broke my wrist while in PE class in 4th grade, didn't even wince and wasn't taken to the hospital until I told mom about the fall. (I went there "just to check" and the docs took an x-ray and gave me a cast. 8O )

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:41 am

y'all are some tough specimens :wtg:

ClumsyNinja
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2013, 2:57 am

Yes, I seem to be very insensitive to pain and it takes a long time before I realise if I've hurt myself. Oddly though I am very sensitive to touch. I'm also over-sensitive to light and sound so I've no idea why I don't feel pain very well. I've broken things and torn muscles and got some huge bruises and barely remember the actual injury. Papercuts are my nemesis though, always feel those!

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2013, 4:43 am

I think on the whole I have fairly average pain tolerance, but it's kind of unevenly distributed. I've hit my head causing both a bump and a cut and didn't feel a thing, though others thought I must have been in a lot of pain. Scratches and moderate cuts are barely felt either. I like playing with cats bare-handed, getting several superficial scratches and occasionally some that bleed. (They are nice cats and don't swipe with ill intent, but sometimes we just catch each other at a bad angle.) I barely feel that at all. Never saw the point of fancy cat toys; they are more likely to have fun with the box the toys came in anyways. :)

Headaches, sore throat, stubbing my toe, bee and wasp stings all affect me about the same as they do the average person.

I've never broken a bone yet, so I don't know how that would feel. I suspect it would affect me in the typical way, too.

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2013, 6:56 am

I think I have a increased sensitivity to pain. However, I don't think I have a reduced ability to tolerate pain. Just I possibly feel it more. If you don't feel pain that seems different than feeling it and then tolerating it / putting up with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

I find blood draws and novacaine injections at the dentist are barely tolerable.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

I'll have to say I have a fairly high pain tolerance. When I would get accidental injuries, such as stubbing my toe or jamming my knee onto something, I wouldn't wince very much. I also have a high pain tolerance for cramps and most migraines, although I do take pain relief for the latter. I am, however, average, at tolerating cuts and shots, as I would sometimes wince when the sharpness touches the skin.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

I have moderate pain tolerance. Everyone has a different sensory system so it's different for all of us.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

relatively little pains make me turn the air blue with profanity. but huge pains such as getting my arms busted in a bike accident, for some reason I hurt and cussed a bit but after about 30 seconds I went numb. endorphins?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

I am a total sissy and start panicking if I think there is a chance I might feel pain in the future. Like I refused to get a tetanus shot for years until I got sick and needed the pertussis vaccine that went with it.