Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 12:28 pm

I'm working on transcribing Paganini's "Caprice No. 5" to electric guitar. At the same time, I'm having to practice my fingerings to make sure they'll work up to speed, and think outside of the box with harmonics as the intro and the piece's ending reach beyond the guitar's immediate fretboard.

Awake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2014, 12:40 pm

Kabalevsky Cello Concerto in G Minor, Allegro

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

26 May 2014, 7:42 am

Hm... I wish I had an instrument, a guitar specifically, so I can work on becoming virtuoso at it.

Right now I am practicing songwriting by writing lyrics to instrumental music. Also I am practicing singing and later might compose some MIDI stuff (teaching myself Music Theory).

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 1:00 am

Say Something by A Great Big World; guitar and singing.

Lecter
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2014, 12:24 pm

Vivaldi's 'Cum Sancto Spiritu' on electric guitar. Just learnt the Soprano line for a contemporised performance of Vivaldi's Gloria coming up in a few weeks (where I'm functioning as the first violinist).
As I'm utterly musically illiterate, I've had to learn the entirety of Gloria by ear and commit it to memory. There's the advantage that I won't need the sheet music on the night (and therefore no page turner), but the movements have proven to be an utter nightmare to memorise.
*shakes fist* Damn you, Vivaldi, you talented scoundrel!

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 6:01 pm

I'm still transcribing "Paganini: Caprice No. 5", though, I'm just over 1/2 of the way through. I realized, since I last mentioned working on it, that I needed to work on my endurance to even keep up with this piece, so I've been drilling it into memory after about every 64 notes I transcribe... which, for a two and a half to three minute piece(depending on if using the repeat, which the handful of violinists I've listened to don't bother to perform) written almost entirely in 1/16 notes(outside the intro and out being written in 1/32 notes), has taken me awhile to learn/train up to speed. At least now I'm physically able to keep up with it, and am learning to read standard notation while sourcing good fingerings on the fretboard much faster... so hopefully the second half takes me less time to put under my fingers.

The other obstacle has been finding the proper amp settings to make the sound flow in a violin like manner in combination with my technique while eliminating as much unnecessary sustain as possible, and keeping up technical stability while playing for so fast for so long... Without disciplined stability, the piece just starts sounding unbearably doggy until it simply drags out into bad/confusing noise.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 7:24 pm

practicing using grids to draw proportionally.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.