Do you like animals better than people?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you prefer humans or non-human animals?
Humans 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Non-human animals 85%  85%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 53

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 3:17 am

I was thinking. I don't particularly like people, I mean I consider myself a humanitarian, at least I strive to be one, but I don't really like just hanging out with most people. The exceptions would be intellectuals, hilarious goofballs, and attractive female humans. Everyone else, I find it a struggle and bore to hang out with. :? Doesn't mean I don't care about them or hope for their attainment of happiness, justice, and all of those good things.

But honestly I'm not a huge animal person either. I love cats, they're cute and cuddly and make adorable funny noises, and I like some dogs well enough too. I also really like capybaras and llamas lol. But in general I wouldn't really say I'm an animal lover, like I am against animal cruelty but I don't get so emotional about it like a lot of people too. I feel like a hypocrite getting too indignant about it being a carnivore. I suppose the Universe is a cruel place sometimes and bad sh*t happens, it's just how nature is.

I'm gonna say I probably like people more than animals overall just because I can converse with people. This is also the reason I'm not particularly fond of children. I like intellectual stimulation and children don't really offer a lot of that. I'm sure when I have my own kids though, being I'm that lucky I'll love them.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 4:17 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I was thinking. I don't particularly like people, I mean I consider myself a humanitarian, at least I strive to be one, but I don't really like just hanging out with most people. The exceptions would be intellectuals, hilarious goofballs, and attractive female humans. Everyone else, I find it a struggle and bore to hang out with. :? Doesn't mean I don't care about them or hope for their attainment of happiness, justice, and all of those good things.

I'd like to second that. Although I do presently have an interest in all things shark related. You can adopt a great white....clicky linky to shark site...

Shark Trust UK (adopt a shark)

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 4:52 am

bumble wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

I'd like to second that. Although I do presently have an interest in all things shark related. You can adopt a great white....clicky linky to shark site...

Shark Trust UK (adopt a shark)

Yeah, sharks are cool. :D

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2013, 5:09 am

I like most cats (F. s. catus, that is, other felids I'm not sure I'd want to be around) better than quite a few humans, certainly. Intellectuals, many people who accept my autistic traits and eccentric tendencies, and some other kinds of humans I do like.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2013, 6:15 am

I like quiet creatures, which is why I love being at home alone with my rabbit. He keeps me company, but is a quiet, gentle, loving little soul. Sadly, the same can't be said for my neighbours' dogs who bark far too much and run down the drive when I go to check for mail (we have a shared driveway). Freaks me out! I'm not a dog person, their barking and aggression scares me and I panic.

But mostly I prefer the company of animals and birds. I understand them better than humans and can be myself around them.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:01 am

BunnyMum wrote:
I like quiet creatures, which is why I love being at home alone with my rabbit. He keeps me company, but is a quiet, gentle, loving little soul. Sadly, the same can't be said for my neighbours' dogs who bark far too much and run down the drive when I go to check for mail (we have a shared driveway). Freaks me out! I'm not a dog person, their barking and aggression scares me and I panic.

But mostly I prefer the company of animals and birds. I understand them better than humans and can be myself around them.

Bunny rabbits are beautiful. I was thinking about getting a pet rabbit and calling him/her trinket.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:07 am

I prefer the company of animals over people, because people have and do and can hurt me emotionally in life-affecting ways, but animals cannot.

Having said that, I have to qualify the statement by saying that I do care about people too. If someone is hurt physically or emotionally, if someone is in need and I'm in a position to do anything, I do it. I care. I do feel for humans -- it's just that at the same time, I think SOME humans make our species seem like the nastiest, meanest, deliberately spiteful and truly evil species on the planet. Hence overall I'm not a fan.

Animals just live their lives; predation is for survival, deliberate acts of spite aren't in their vocabulary, and there is great healing to be found just in the vibe of hanging out with animals. A major factor is that they accept you for who you are. A large percentage of humans don't really ever do that, for anyone.

A group of waterbirds I spend time with are unwittingly responsible for saving me from a nervous breakdown, and I will go to my grave swearing that's the truth.

By contrast, groups of people in my life have been wittingly responsible for causing one. :lol:

Stranded on a desert island with a choice of a bunch of people or a bunch of assorted animals, I'll take the animals.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:38 am

No. Animals don't converse with me, steal my food if I'm not watching, just want me to feed them or pet them, and more.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

I would have loved to have got myself a cat. I love cats especially snuzzling my face in their fur and purring and most humans are hug dodgers. Cats and dogs are not. You always feel calmer when stroking an animal especially a mammal. When I was a child we used to keep a couple of whippets who were very enthusiastic about showing affection and you could snuggle up to them. for the texture wise cats fur has a nicer texture to it and dog's fur tends to feel slightly rougher than a cat's and of course a cats lovely purr as well.:arrow:

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 9:56 am

I really enjoy talking with kind people. The animals I enjoy spending time with are the kind, gentle animals, who aren't overly rambunctious. There's some dogs I know that are way too rambunctious and I don't enjoy that, It's overwhelming to me and they usually scratch me badly by jumping all over me. And then the people I don't enjoy being around are drama queens and two faced back stabbers because I hate drama. I just want to be around nice people who respect humans and animals alike. So, I can't say I'm more of an animal person or people person. I like kind and gentle humans and animals. So, if you're kind and gentle, I like you, it doesn't matter if you're a human or an animal!

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 10:54 am

I'm not sure the question of whether we prefer animals or people is worded well. Just as some people are more desirable to associate with than others, some animals are better to be around than others. So, while I don't prefer the company of skunks, scorpions, or rattlesnakes, I would prefer to be around my dogs over just about any people.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

Although I do like the company of family and close friends, I prefer the company of animals just a little bit more. I can relate to animals more than humans, especially cats. They also don't talk back at me, and when I feel sad, are usually the first thing I come to for comfort.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

I don't like anything I don't like.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

I love animals. Domestic and wild animals. I relate to animals better than people. I like being surrounded by animals.
People are animals too of course. I don't dislike people, but they are so complicated.
I wonder if it is like that for all animals, that to get along with members of their own species they have to understand the social rules and hierarchies like a complicated and delicate social dance they have to navigate.
Getting along with other species is simple and direct.

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm

Marybird wrote:
I wonder if it is like that for all animals, that to get along with members of their own species they have to understand the social rules and hierarchies like a complicated and delicate social dance they have to navigate.

I was going to say that I doubt it, but then I realised I knew of at least one counterexample. I had a cat who might have the feline equivalent of ASD. :) He LOVES humans, familiar and strange, but lacks the intuition most cats seem to have for dealing with other cats. (Also for typical feline pursuits in general. Took him years to figure out how to get jumps right, and to hunt. Even then he didn't really know what to do with prey once caught.)

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

humans suk

down with humans