Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:33 pm

one of the following may apply

maybe your voice doesn't travel? too quiet?

maybe during a group conversation, no one is focusing on you and they're focusing on someone else so when you talk, they don't pay attention to it.

maybe you're talking too much and you're not giving other people a chance to talk so they interrupt

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm

This happens to me. I attribute it to "not being respected" and leave it at that. Sometimes I just continue speaking as if I was never interrupted, which is evidently the pinnacle of rudeness.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:04 am

In situations in which you get interrupted- do people interupte each other with the same frequency that they interrupt you?

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:11 am

As with 'BirdinFlight' I'm in the UK and this happens all the time in NT only conversations. It can be quite infuriating. I agree.

But it may be happening more often to you if you're not picking up cues. I also find that Aspies (suspected) I've dealt with in tech will often interrupt or project weird cues on when they're finished or just not finish (sigh).

My ASD suspected spouse never.stops.talking and constantly interrupts me - even when he's just asked me a question!! ! Grrrr.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In situations in which you get interrupted- do people interupte each other with the same frequency that they interrupt you?

For myself I would say "no". Maybe it has something to do with a strange pattern of speech. I tend to think it is just an indication that people are not worried about offending the person they cut off.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2013, 11:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:

No. They don't interrupt each other. Also, I do not have a quiet voice.

What usually happens is A says something. Then I, B, reply. Quickly after I start talking C says something. Then A or D reply to C. I attempt to repeat what I tried to say, but the process starts over again. Many times, I don't get to say what I wanted until they move on to another conversation. If, at that point,I say what I had been trying to say, they tell me "we've moved on from that topic" or they just ignore and interrupt again.

This happens in various groups, not just certain people. I think there are some sort of nonverbal cues telling people when it is their turn to talk. At least I hope that is what it is. A lot of times it makes me feel like no one takes me seriously or that thy don't care to hear what I have to say. I hope it is just a nonverbal cue thing.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114