So, I've been treating myself with miraculous results.

Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 2:28 pm

As I've alluded to in posts over the weeks/months.

I've been treating myself for the last 5 months or so with miraculous results, reducing my symptoms of ADHD/OCD/Tourettes/Autism/Dyspraxia/Depression/Anxiety symptoms of Executive Functioning Disorder & Chronic Fatigue & what some have described as Bipolar in the past.

I haven't posted what I've learned or how I'm treating myself and how/why it's working because my thought behind it was to wait until I've completed the entire course of treatment, however long it takes - possibly several more months - to see if it is in fact a complete & permanent cure for all of these symptoms. So far symptoms are down by far more than 95% and I'm happier and healthier than I've been in my e n t i r e life, both mentally & physically. After a few years of living hell, I'm back to work & making forward progress in absolutely every aspect of my life.

At this point, even though I don't yet know if it will be complete and permanent (but science, medicine, & logic says it ought to be, or at least damn near close.) I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of deciding what to do in terms of disclosure.. so, I figured I'd go ahead and ask here what the wp community would prefer.

Should I:

A) Shut my mouth and carry on, and then report my results & findings upon completion of this treatment protocol? (which will take an undeterminable number of months, as it depends on healing progress which I'll know when it's complete via various observable things.)

B) Get a number of volunteers from here on wp to begin trying the same treatment protocol in themselves? No one will have completed it before I'm done, but at least then when I am done and have the answer as to whether it's complete and permanent there will be others part way through who will have already figured out for themselves whether it's working as well for them as it has for me and can then back up my claims. Personally, I experienced VERY noticeable improvements in a matter of the first few weeks, and then things have continued to improve since.

or C) Something else? Open to input.

For the record, from the statistics I've read this should work for at least 70% of us and the only ones it shouldn't work for are those who's Autism symptoms are caused by some other root cause, assuming there's more than one cause of all of this.

Also for the record, it's costing me about $500cdn/month - but only about $100 of that is over and above what I'd normally spend in my budget, so only an extra $100/mo. Depending on where you live and what things cost, I'd guesstimate that this would cost anywhere from $500-700/month & could take anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years depending on a number of factors including personal health as well as dedication to this treatment protocol and the lengths to which people are willing to go to do this.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 15 Oct 2013, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
my symptoms of ADHD/OCD/Tourettes/Autism/Dyspraxia/Depression/Anxiety symptoms of Executive Functioning Disorder & Chronic Fatigue & what some have described as Bipolar

How many of these maladies have been professionally diagnosed? Perhaps what you've actually cured is a Hypochondriacal neurosis.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

I have no idea how one would cure wiring. So I am curious about that.

I am also curious how you got the number 70%? To my knowledge, no one has yet identified any set number of autism subtypes, nor how to determine who goes into what subtype, so I am curious how you know that your treatment will work on 70%?

I'm not saying it is impossible that you have found something that is helping you. But to somehow jump to the conclusion that what you are doing will help most autistics seems rather implausible, especially in light of the fact that you are being so vague.

One could also wonder if your symptoms were actually caused by something other than autism.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:03 pm

Making a poll may be an easier way of gauging the preference of the WP community.

I have seen a few members of the site express an interest in trying new treatments, so B is definitely a possibility, especially as this will speed up the collecting of data; it would be of utmost ethical importance, however, to explain to these individuals exactly what the treatment entails and all of the potential risks and benefits before they begin the treatment.

I am glad that you are seeing improvements in your health and hope that good results will continue to arise out of this experiment. :)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I haven't posted what I've learned or how I'm treating myself and how/why it's working because my thought behind it was to wait until I've completed the entire course of treatment, however long it takes - possibly several more months - to see if it is in fact a complete & permanent cure for all of these symptoms.

Why such secrecy about the methodology? Why does it need to be a complete and permanent cure of all your symptoms for you to say what it is you've tried?

Quote:
C) Something else? Open to input.

The something else that I suggest is to share your methodology. It is entirely possible that it has overlap with things that other people have tried and described with varying results. Even if everything that has ever caused you aggravation is 100% resolved by whatever it is you are doing, that doesn't mean it will be so for others. But it (whatever "it" is) could help some people with something. But making people play a guessing game as to what you are doing that could be so expensive (supplements? medication? expensive dietary changes? obscure exercise therapy? trans cranial magnets?) is just aggravating. I'm curious. Could I cure my dyscalcula with fish oil? God only knows. But if you won't say what you are doing, it's hard to get people on board.

[I bring up dyscalcula and fish oil only because dyscalcula plagues me and fish oil is an expensive thing that people sometimes use as a neurological treatment. But I am just guessing. With no clue whatsoever, guessing is all I can do.)

In the recent thread about memory problems you went into excellent detail about addressing a salicylate acid sensitivity. That's the sort of detail that is helpful. Of course not everybody's problems (or even most people's problems) will have to do with such a specific sensitivity, but probably somebody's will. If you make complete reversal of all your problems be a condition for revelaing methodology, then if it doesn't work as you planned, nobody ever finds out what you did. But problems are so individual and oftentimes people need to try lots of different things to find what helps them specifically. It's all an n=1 experiment, as people say. Why not tell your methodology as you did on the memory thread even if it isn't a complete cure for everything for everybody? Nothing ever is. But having lots of different tools to try is what's most helpful.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:31 pm

Or you could try describing and explaining what you're doing so the rest of us could try to figure out if it is plausible, or maybe similar to something else we've tried/done, or if it's just Voodoo Majiik.

You've spent a lot of time writing about it without revealing anything about it. If I recall correctly you've even mentioned this before.
So it must seem pretty Outside The Box.
Are you hiding it? Or is it just too complicated to explain? Or are you merely refraining because you don't want to bore anyone with it?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

Maybe afraid they'll be laughed at. Which, granted, is a pretty real possibility if you recommend something totally unscientific to a bunch of logical, bluntly honest autistics.

I tend to be skeptical of anything that's described as "miraculous". Improvements in conditions like ADHD and similar tend to be due to relatively "boring" things like learning new techniques, controlling one's environment, improving one's physical health, or just getting assistance. In the long run, the progress you make can be quite dramatic, but it is usually gradual, step-by-step progress that comes from learning and working out solutions.

If the OP has found some ideas that work for them, then why not talk about it? They may work for others with similar problems.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

Either share it or don't, but if you're NOT going to share, stop writing about it in any way, shape, or form. I don't like when people play games.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
At this point, even though I don't yet know if it will be complete and permanent (but science, medicine, & logic...

"science" is a rather broad term and the set of abstractions, traditions, institutions and practices generally attached to that word is quite large. Perhaps if you could be a little more precise, this would seem less like hyperbolic nonsense of the kind typically associated with snake oil salesmen.

The same could be said of "medicine" -- what sort of medicine are you talking about? How does "medicine" say anything about your cure and its permanence or reversibility? Are you, for example, talking about gene therapy? Have you engineered a retrovirus to alter vast swathes of your genome?

How does "logic" support your theories?

Quote:
...says it ought to be, or at least damn near close.) I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of deciding what to do in terms of disclosure.. so, I figured I'd go ahead and ask here what the wp community would prefer.

Should I:

A) Shut my mouth and carry on, and then report my results & findings upon completion of this treatment protocol? (which will take an undeterminable number of months, as it depends on healing progress which I'll know when it's complete via various observable things.)

This seems pointless. You will be a living example of anecdote without evidence: hardly to be believed.

Quote:
B) Get a number of volunteers from here on wp to begin trying the same treatment protocol in themselves? No one will have completed it before I'm done, but at least then when I am done and have the answer as to whether it's complete and permanent there will be others part way through who will have already figured out for themselves whether it's working as well for them as it has for me and can then back up my claims. Personally, I experienced VERY noticeable improvements in a matter of the first few weeks, and then things have continued to improve since.

I am curious about your use of the word "protocol" --this sounds rather sciency and medicalish but why do you use it? Are you a doctor? Unless you are running a controlled study with a lot of review, I don't see the point of this either.

Quote:
or C) Something else? Open to input.

How about sharing your work with autism researchers associated with a large research facility? You could approach Simon Baron Cohen's Autism Research Centre, for example, or the Seaver Autism Center at Mt Sinai in New York. Then the research teams could set up a study and share the results with the world in peer reviewed journals that will get a global audience and have instant credibility.

Quote:
For the record, from the statistics I've read this should work for at least 70% of us and the only ones it shouldn't work for are those who's Autism symptoms are caused by some other root cause, assuming there's more than one cause of all of this.
this claim is hard to believe. Autistics are a highly heterogenous group and there appear to be multiple etiologies at work. Perhaps it would help if you mentioned what are the definitive criteria for membership in your 70% group?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

I've been reading some of your posts and been interested in your treatment.

I'd say C) and B).

You can disclose your treatment on a specific predetermined date. You might or might not be certain that your improvement/cure is complete and permanent by that date. Hopefully you will be. Let's say you can disclose it maybe on June 27th, 2014.

In the meantime you can find some people from WP who are very willing to try the treatment regime before that date, or even now. In that way you will possibly have more than just you to confirm the effectiveness of your treatment before you disclose your treatment regime on that predetermined date.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm

Willard wrote:
Perhaps what you've actually cured is a Hypochondriacal neurosis.

Or worse!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:20 pm

It's not uncommon to have a pack of diagnoses together like that. Most people with mental disorders have multiple ones. It's not really that you've got several separate disorders; it's just that an atypical brain tends to be atypical in more than one way. You've only got one brain, and it's different in only one way, but multiple labels are the best way to describe it if you want diagnostic terms that'll be useful for professionals. It's like mixing colors... You've got a brain that has a nice lavender color to it; so you're diagnosed with white, red, and blue disorders. People with pink brains are more like you than people with green brains are, and psychologists use your white, red, and blue labels to determine how they might best help you; there's a huge number of possible colors out there, and if they had a label for each specific color, they'd have to make up a new one for each person. So you have three labels, but your brain is still lavender, and that's only one color.

If somebody says they have smallpox, stomach cancer, and scurvy, then they're probably hypochondriacs (or medical students who've been studying too hard). But a list like ADHD, OCD, Tourettes, Autism, Dyspraxia, Depression, Anxiety, and executive dysfunction is more like a multi-label description of a single problem than a lot of totally different problems together hypochondriac-style. Briefly, that list says to me, "I process information in an atypical way, and this is causing a high stress level."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:33 pm

Willard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
my symptoms of ADHD/OCD/Tourettes/Autism/Dyspraxia/Depression/Anxiety symptoms of Executive Functioning Disorder & Chronic Fatigue & what some have described as Bipolar
How many of these maladies have been professionally diagnosed? Perhaps what you've actually cured is a Hypochondriacal neurosis.

Imaginary diagnosis to imaginary cure ... it makes sense ... sort of ... :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 2:00 am

Willard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

One - and it was merely my GP's confirmation of my self diagnosis.. using the diagnosis test & tools I introduced to him.

I have not seen a Psychiatrist for a professional diagnosis of any of these things. It doesn't change what I know about myself and my symptoms. Discounting what I have to say because of that does not change the validity nor value of what I've learned one iota.

riting off what I have to say about all of this before I've even said it can only possibly be detrimental to your own health if it could in fact help you, so it's no sweat off my back if you don't care to read/learn/listen as it won't hurt me one bit. I know full well that people on the spectrum can be incredibly stubborn about all of this, as I've experienced within my own immediate family with relatives unwilling to give this a go themselves even thogugh it would help them better than the pharmaceuticals they're on now. Their health continues to degrade and their symptoms are getting worse while I'm getting healthier & happier. That said, I know full well that when I share what I have to share I'll include as much detail and info as I can and answer any questions completely transparently.. but it'll be 100% take or leave it - either try it for yourself and see if you can achieve the results I have, or don't, it's up to you. I'm not going to bother wasting my time trying to convince people to do it. It's the good ol' cliche only those who are willing to help themselves deserve help and all that. So, for those open to it & willing to try anything (so long as it makes sense) then I'll lay the treatment process/protocol out step by step and they can have at it, ask questions etc. For those who read it and have no interest in trying it to better themselves, well, suit yourselves, I've got a life to live and won't be spending it pleading with others to quit being so aspie-stubborn and try something new vs. doing as they've always done and getting as they've always got.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 2:08 am

InThisTogether wrote:
I have no idea how one would cure wiring. So I am curious about that.

I am also curious how you got the number 70%? To my knowledge, no one has yet identified any set number of autism subtypes, nor how to determine who goes into what subtype, so I am curious how you know that your treatment will work on 70%?

I'm not saying it is impossible that you have found something that is helping you. But to somehow jump to the conclusion that what you are doing will help most autistics seems rather implausible, especially in light of the fact that you are being so vague.

One could also wonder if your symptoms were actually caused by something other than autism.

First off, because it's not wiring. If it (Autism) is in part genetic, then it's this curable overlapping condition that triggers and amplifies symptoms.

The 70% figure comes from a stat I read that 70% of us have a common coexisting condition. I believe it may be higher than 70%. Granted, I have no idea how the stat was compiled and it may be inaccurate. Nonetheless, I've met many on the spectrum both diagnosed and undiagnosed (and several unaware) and iirc every single one of them displayed signs of this common ailment. That's why I personally believe it's more than 70%. I'll share those details eventually as well.

I've begun typing some of this stuff up in a document & will plug away at it a bit here and there over time until it's complete and ready to share. It'll include my personal experience w/ symptoms and the cause-effect chain of diagnosing things as well as everything I've been doing to treat myself. Some of it is some rather gross science, but since it's medically relevant I'll share everything transparently.

The symptoms are Autism. The root cause is not. I'll elaborate and explain in full detail when the time is right and it'll all make much more sense. Promise.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 2:12 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Making a poll may be an easier way of gauging the preference of the WP community.

I have seen a few members of the site express an interest in trying new treatments, so B is definitely a possibility, especially as this will speed up the collecting of data; it would be of utmost ethical importance, however, to explain to these individuals exactly what the treatment entails and all of the potential risks and benefits before they begin the treatment.

I am glad that you are seeing improvements in your health and hope that good results will continue to arise out of this experiment. :)

If wp at large & several individuals are interested in option B then of course I would give those people a complete rundown of everything. I'd probably just send them the document I'm working on in whatever it's most complete form is at the time and ask that they not post it publicly. They can read the cliff notes of my "story," as well as what I've been doing to treat myself and why/how it's working.

I, too, hope that nothing but good things come of this for myself and others. 8) That's why I have no choice but to share it eventually. And I mean share it. It's the most valuable thing I may ever contribute to this community, but I have no interest in monetizing it. I'd prefer to share the info for free for everyone and then anyone willing to act on it and treat themselves can go ahead and do so, ideally have success with it, and then share it with others. etc.