Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 6:42 pm

Generally, I suppose I feel "cold" in relation to my feelings, and this is whether they're suppressed or not. Is that what you're asking?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

Thank you for this thread. I can relate to everything you say.

Maybe this is unrelated but I see NT's in the modern world as ping-pong balls that rapidly bounce off each other. They see an acquaintance, smile, crack some joke, then continue on their way. Interactions are brief exchanges of small talk and the sense of connection is chaotic and ephemeral. NT's are energized by this bouncy style of interacting with the world, where as for me it's all superficial. I simply don't have the time or level of comfort to truly feel connected. By the time I start to feel comfortable with someone they are ready to move on to something else. The chaotic fast-paced modern world doesn't give me a chance to sit down and have a 2 hour long discussions and sharing of life stories every day. This all contributes to a sense that it's all a bunch of pointless nonsense. The world is all about quantity over quality and breadth over depth. To me this ping-pong ball style of interaction is both laborious and unrewarding.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

marshall wrote:
Thank you for this thread. I can relate to everything you say.

Maybe this is unrelated but I see NT's in the modern world as ping-pong balls that rapidly bounce off each other. They see an acquaintance, smile, crack some joke, then continue on their way. Interactions are brief exchanges of small talk and the sense of connection is chaotic and ephemeral. NT's are energized by this bouncy style of interacting with the world, where as for me it's all superficial. I simply don't have the time or level of comfort to truly feel connected. By the time I start to feel comfortable with someone they are ready to move on to something else. The chaotic fast-paced modern world doesn't give me a chance to sit down and have a 2 hour long discussions and sharing of life stories every day. This all contributes to a sense that it's all a bunch of pointless nonsense. The world is all about quantity over quality and breadth over depth. To me this ping-pong ball style of interaction is both laborious and unrewarding.

I have mix opinions about having autism. living life on the outside or outside the box seems to be a blessing and a curse. On one side, I find myself envying the lifestyles of NT's and wishing I could be a part of there world and crave the desire to belong in their world as if some how that would make me happy. Yet on the other hand. Being autistic had afforded me the intelligents and wisdom to see the world for what it really is. I mean seriously. what are NT trying to accomplish with there lives. They talk about us aspies wanting routine and yet their lives are full of it. For as wise of a person that I am, I too feel the desire to wanna be foolish. After all, wisdom can really make the truth hurt. Who knows, maybe ignorance is bliss.

auf_ehre
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

Every day I go into the NT world and do what I have to do to support my world.

It's no accident that I live in a remote area away from other people and their NT shtick.

I wouldn't be able to do cool stuff related to my interests if I lived in town. Like a 25' tall railroad signal on my front lawn.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

I felt this way last year and the year before regarding internet and real life. I know everyone changes for each situation. Like for work, you go to work and you have to wear certain pants and shoes due to work dress code, you have to clean a certain way or do things a certain way, if you work in a restaurant, you can't lick the bowls there. How is that fake? I just see it as rules.

You are with someone and they may be offended by a slang you use and jokes you tell so you avoid using the word around them and telling those jokes around them out of respect. How is this fake?

As a child I would go to school and do stuff there I could get away with I wouldn't be able to get away with at home such as screaming or saying certain words there my mom would never allow me to say at home and do bullying there.

Like if you like throwing your trash around at home, other people don't like it when you toss trash around in their home so out of their respect, you throw it away in the trash can. How is this fake?

I never liked the term faking. It's a matter of rules being different everywhere so you must follow them and a matter of showing someone respect when it comes to people. This is how I always view things and don't see how it's fake. You can't fake it, you either do it or you don't. Was I faking bullying? Was I faking screaming? Was I faking saying words I couldn't say at home? Was I faking when I always restrained myself from acting up and being hyper? Was I faking when I kept my body still and watched what I did with my body? Heck, was I even faking violence when I was trying to have ODD because I thought it would get me my way and make my life easier because that is how this ODD boy always got his way? If I decide to be an as*hole, is it fake? If I decide to be nice, is it fake? I always thought you can be whoever you want to be and when I decided I wanted to be a certain way, I went for it.

What if I decided to kill someone, would that be fake if I did it? That is why I don't get this whole faking thing. If you want to be a certain way, why is that fake? If you want to learn something, why is that fake? If you decide to not use a word around someone because it bothers them, why is that fake?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I felt this way last year and the year before regarding internet and real life. I know everyone changes for each situation. Like for work, you go to work and you have to wear certain pants and shoes due to work dress code, you have to clean a certain way or do things a certain way, if you work in a restaurant, you can't lick the bowls there. How is that fake? I just see it as rules.

You are with someone and they may be offended by a slang you use and jokes you tell so you avoid using the word around them and telling those jokes around them out of respect. How is this fake?

As a child I would go to school and do stuff there I could get away with I wouldn't be able to get away with at home such as screaming or saying certain words there my mom would never allow me to say at home and do bullying there.

Like if you like throwing your trash around at home, other people don't like it when you toss trash around in their home so out of their respect, you throw it away in the trash can. How is this fake?

I never liked the term faking. It's a matter of rules being different everywhere so you must follow them and a matter of showing someone respect when it comes to people. This is how I always view things and don't see how it's fake. You can't fake it, you either do it or you don't. Was I faking bullying? Was I faking screaming? Was I faking saying words I couldn't say at home? Was I faking when I always restrained myself from acting up and being hyper? Was I faking when I kept my body still and watched what I did with my body? Heck, was I even faking violence when I was trying to have ODD because I thought it would get me my way and make my life easier because that is how this ODD boy always got his way? If I decide to be an as*hole, is it fake? If I decide to be nice, is it fake? I always thought you can be whoever you want to be and when I decided I wanted to be a certain way, I went for it.

What if I decided to kill someone, would that be fake if I did it? That is why I don't get this whole faking thing. If you want to be a certain way, why is that fake? If you want to learn something, why is that fake? If you decide to not use a word around someone because it bothers them, why is that fake?

"What is real, How do you know what is real" - Morpheus
Better take the red pill.

League_Girl wrote:
What if I decided to kill someone, would that be fake if I did it?

<sarcasm> There are plenty of murder simulators out there for the XBOX</sarcasm>

__________________________________________________________________________________
You should learn the rules so you know haw to break them properly.

auf_ehre
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I have no idea what a mid-life crisis is supposed to feel like. I'm in my mid 40s.

I had mine years ago.

I went to a record store to get a CD to replace my Paranoid LP (Black Sabbath) album, looked at the copyright date and had a midlife crisis.

Right away I bought a Camaro and got a hot, 30-something GF. Lost the GF, sold the car. Back to business.

Got it all over and done with at the age of 28.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 9:18 pm

My own mid-life crisis would happen immediately if my interest in fast cars ceased.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm

auf_ehre wrote:
I wouldn't be able to do cool stuff related to my interests if I lived in town. Like a 25' tall railroad signal on my front lawn.

MAGNIFICENT!! !!

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

auf_ehre
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2013, 12:48 am

Opi wrote:
auf_ehre wrote:

MAGNIFICENT!! !!

Thank you.

It's mostly made out of junk with just a few actual signal parts.

It lights up with some modified solar powered landscape lights.

Here's a photo collage of its construction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88307587@N ... 5/sizes/h/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

League_Girl wrote:

If you want to be that way it is not fake. I you have to be that way it is. Wearing dress clothes is not who I am but I have done that to make money as those were the rules. If I choose not to be myself for money to have the means to be myself in the long term it might be the right choice but it is a choice to be temporally fake. If it is done too much the one can cause psychical and mental exhaustion or worse lose track of who you really are which is a mental health problem.

I understand exactly what the OP is feeling and started as thread about it in the adult lifestyle section http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt242616.html

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman