Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... 8170.story

glow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

That's a pretty picture. hem, yetis? I guess some Alaskan warriors could be described as a yeti but I doubt they'll ever find one. There are some make believe stories about them though.
Check out Tomb of The Dragon Emperor movie and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24564487

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

Problem is that there are no blubbery sea mammals in the Himalayas for polar bears to prey on.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:00 am

Somehow, it's so much funner to imagine the Yeti as an undiscovered, gigantic hominid.

zugunruh3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2013, 2:06 am

"Sykes believes he found a 100% match with a DNA sample from the jaw of an ancient polar bear that lived tens of thousands of years ago.

That doesn’t mean a mythical Bigfoot-like yeti is alive and well. And Sykes in a statement said, "I don't think it means there are ancient polar bears wandering around the Himalayas. But we can speculate what the possible explanation might be. It could be there is a subspecies of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the bear that was the ancestor to the polar bear.""

That's absolutely remarkable. I hope they find some evidence for this in the form of an animal, it sounds too strange to be a hoax. How are hoaxers going to get ahold of DNA from a bear that lived tens of thousands of years ago?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:59 am

i read that on cnn.they used to say that there were no mountain lions in massachusetts,but DNA taken from scat proved cougars live in mass and then a cougar was hit by a car in connecticut a few years ago.its radio collar tracked its birth place to south dakota

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 8:13 am

Damn!

A cougar wandered all of the way from South Dakota to Massachusettes?
Thats like 1500 miles. A long way to look for a habitat. I guess he didnt know that going east was the wrong direction to go to escape human civilization.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 10:16 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Damn!

A cougar wandered all of the way from South Dakota to Massachusettes?
Thats like 1500 miles. A long way to look for a habitat. I guess he didnt know that going east was the wrong direction to go to escape human civilization.
although numerous sighting and DNA evidence puts cougars in mass the cougar from SD was hit by a car in connecticut.

the plains and midwest is in general less urban but it is flat prairie and farm land.western massachusetts and north western connecticut likely have more deep woods and thick brush plus very healthy deer populations in both mass and conn.
in the midwest pronghorn are most populous deer who can see for hundreds of meters on the open prairie and are a hard animal to hunt.deer in heavely wooded areas would be a eassier hunt for preditors like mountain lion.
massachusetts has one of the healthiest bobcat and coyote populations in the US so its no suprise that cougar and wolf are making a comback