Could a Person with Asperger's syndrome get higher education

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 6:48 am

Certainly. Bachelors, then MA now doing PhD.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Sathor
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

Almost finished my masters before I really found out. (It almost got caught a few times, but nope_

As long as the classes are right for you, then it's great. I had a class last semester that I failed. First time failing a class in my masters program, and I wonder if it had anything to do with the way I think. (It was a java programming class, had trouble with a few aspects where I couldn't get certain things to work, and add in communication issues (above and beyond normal Aspie) I failed it. Now, programming in open office spreadsheets, that I can do all too well.)

I am not sure if a smaller school is better, or a larger one with more choices.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 2:48 pm

I have duel major Honors Bs.C in Physics/Math, a law degree, and now working for a Ph.D in Physics.

So it is a demonstrated fact that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can get a higher education.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 3:18 pm

Indubitably! - just one of the thousands of fancy words you can know with higher education (or without actually). Yes, an MA Lit here.

jrtgirl35
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2016, 6:49 pm

Yes they 100% can , I have been taking classes at the local community college and have a 3.84 GPA it is taking me longer then the two years because of my learning disability but by taking it slow I'm able to do my best and will hopefully graduate with honors and transfer into the school I really want to get into.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

I was told I wouldn't make it past high school.

I'm now a rising sophomore in college, just got my first real job and my driver's license, and loving my newfound independence.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 11:34 pm

I have both a BA and an MSLS. I've never been able to do much with either degree. $75k in debt and never could do a damn thing with either degree.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

Of course they can. Just look at this Site!

Where did you get the idea that people with Asperger's cannot get a higher education?

I have a Bachelor's in Speech Pathology/English. I'm in considerable student-loan debt, too. But I'm still proud of my degree.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm

Yes, many aspies have university degrees.

I was told that I would be capable of getting a degree, but I'd need a lot of support. I almost finished my associate degree (2 years) and had very little support for my disability. It turned out, I didn't need it. This isn't to say needing support to get a degree is a bad thing though. If you need it, you be entitled to it, but you shouldn't be forced to use it if you don't need it.

After my associate degree, I plan on getting a Bachelor's degree.

PS: I was also told I would need an extra year to complete high school. I turns out I didn't.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:39 am

With the right support and understanding of how the condition affects them yes, unfortunately I had neither until recently, a long time after my attempts at studying ended in a deep and merciless swamp that took a long time to detangle and unravel and really knocked the life I'd worked for into the next galaxy. I have dreams of studying again where I actually have a chance at succeeding but we'll see if I can get there.