Could a Person with Asperger's syndrome get higher education

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2013, 1:18 am

My question is could a Person with Asperger's syndrome get higher education skills thank you ?

nopenope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2013, 1:25 am

Yes.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2013, 3:40 am

I was told I couldn't.

I got two university Diplomas, a First class Bachelor's Degree, a Master's......and an apology from the person who said I couldn't!

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 6:36 am

Temple Grandin has a PhD, and she was Dx'd with classic autism.

I have a post-grad qualification and I am Dx'd with AS.

I had emotional and executive function difficulties while doing tertiary studies, but I do have two degrees (BA and Master's).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 7:31 am

Yes.

I've a BSEE and an MSEE - without any help from relatives.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 7:39 am

Higher education over in the u.k means going to college. which I did thank you.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

I think so. And I hope so.

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

Absolutely. I have a bachelors and I loved college so much that I'm going for a second bachelors. College is the time in my life when I found myself and was able to establish myself as a individual.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

Absolutely. Don't let the NTs who are ignorant and/or arrogant tell you you can't.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 7:14 am

Well, I'm 30 and have a university degree and was an above average student. Through the local college and my employer I've taken a few night courses. My marks? 96, 97, 97 and 100 and I did not put full effort in at all. Once I realized I had Aspergers and why I was having difficulties, I thrived.

Presgulo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

Yes, definitly. I actually think people with aspergers may have a benefit. We see details others can't see, and of course may have the great attention span. I actually got accepted in oxford university and the royal academy of music at the same time. I am doing two studies atm. I don't think the degree is the most important, I think it's more important to use your degree in a good way. A lot of people get good grades at school, around 98-100 pct. But they aren't far as good in actually using the things they've learned. Also, you don't need to be intelligent for school, you just need to be able to plan efficiently. Of course intelligence helps a lot :).

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:36 pm

Of Course.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2013, 5:03 pm

posting from University of Maryland right now. :)

Cartoon
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2013, 5:26 pm

I'm nearly finished a year in college. The first few months were good. It's my first time back in the classroom environment in over ten years and I was really enjoying it. I tried to keep to myself to save from the whole stranger danger thing from people. That was going well up until the last couple of months when I've had to join an established team of 5 people. Back to dreading going in now and just trying to keep my head down until it finishes.

I have enjoyed the whole learning thing again. But nothing has changed, as I might have hoped, with people.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2013, 1:10 am

Asperger's isn't necessarily a barrier. I'm currently in possession of a bachelor's in history, and I'm in graduate school for a master's in political science. It's just a matter of sticking with it.

Felwitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2013, 1:51 pm

I have not been officially diagnosed with Asperger but I highly suspect that I have it and doctors also suspect it (my insurance does not cover the testing). I do have ADHD, was diagnosed as a child.

I graduated high school in 2005, started at a community college in August 2005 taking 4 classes at a time. I earned my AA degree in 2012 ending with a 2.1 GPA.

I am now attending the university for a B.A. in Anthropology, my grades are hovering around Bs and I am getting by in my classes.

The doctors on campus say that I am high-functioning, I can sit in class without getting nervous, can ask questions without breaking down, and even can give speeches in front of class (though my face turns bright red and after a couple minutes, my body shakes uncontrollably) I owe my ability to give speeches and ask questions in class to the Public Speaking course I took in community college. Everyone in that class had a huge fear of getting up and speaking and so I fit in well.

As for being social outside of class, no nothing has happened yet, but the college provides Asperger support groups which is nice.