Atheists: How do you feel during the Christmas season?

Page 1 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

I'm just wondering how other atheists view the Christmas season.

I have no issues with the religious aspect of Christmas even though I don't believe in it, but it gets a little annoying when the last 1-1\2 months or so of the year are all about Christmas. I don't see why one religions holiday has to take up so much time of the year. No other religion in the US has a holiday that is so hugely celebrated. I don't want to get into the "This is a christian nation" debate. I understand that the majority of the US is christian (which doesn't necessarily make it a "christian nation".

There are already decorations in the store and when it comes closer to December, Christmas music is played non stop.

I can't wait till all of it is over.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

Christmas isn't a religious holiday. It stems from a religious holiday, but these days it transcends religion.

Christmas music is a prime example- how many of these songs mention Jesus or salvation compared to those that mention snow, fun, or Santa Claus? Or even war?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

I feel oppressed during Christmas 'season,' now between Halloween and the end of December in the states, not for any religious reason but because the stores are all full of incense, all of the regular displays are full of chintzy trash, and there's nothing but canned christmas music playing over and over. Buy! Buy! Buy! It's disgusting.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

Annoyed by the ads.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 1:41 pm

I want to shoot inflatable Santas with a BB gun.But I don't,because I would get in trouble.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

Christmas is a festival of consumerism, rather than religion.
I probably feel much the same way as most other people do about it (whether they are religious or not)

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

I don't think it's a religious holiday. I enjoy spending time with my family and present giving.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

I don't really have a problem with Chistmas even though I don't really believe in it. You can be an atheist and still use the time to spend with your family who are celebrating it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm

Christmas in the USA is a mainly secular.

So there is little reason for an atheist to treat the holiday any differently than a christian would.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 4:51 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
Christmas is a festival of consumerism, rather than religion.
I probably feel much the same way as most other people do about it (whether they are religious or not)

Pretty much. Christmas annoys me a little, but that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the marketing thrown at us being turned up a notch... or ten. There's also the whole gift-giving thing, which can be a real hassle.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 4:56 pm

I'm not religious, but Christmas provokes a religious backlash in me sometimes, just because its so commercial.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 5:06 pm

Having an ASD is far more concerning to me than my non belief. I really hate going to family get together's and the crowded shops and streets. Then of course there are the carols piped throughout shops, these I listen to and wonder are "you lot" listening to the nonsense in these words, surely you cannot believe in this stuff. Then I look at shelve upon shelve of molded plastic awaiting transformation into landfill.

Christmas is a religious festival for a few people who fail to see reason, who do not accept the day is, like so many of their festival days, co-opted into the religion from other beliefs and traditions. The meaning of christmas to me is just an orgy of overspending, overeating, waste and misery.

Do I like christmas, no not really, is this because it is a religious festival, not so much.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

I don't think too much into it since I always considered Christmas to be an "open to interpretation" holiday. If you're all for the religious aspect of the holiday more power to ya. If you're all about the whole family get together and gift giving thing, same. I have nothing against the commercialization of it since I like the atmosphere it brings. But it does seem like the "Holiday Season" seems to be stretched longer and longer than it should be (I hear some stores are doing their Christmas stuff already, it's not even Halloween yet!! !)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

MalWart has decorations up.I plan on not going back till after the hellidays.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 6:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
MalWart has decorations up.I plan on not going back till after the hellidays.

holy s**t, seriously? I never go there anyway, but now I have another excuse to avoid it. Disgusting.

When I was really little, they waited until the beginning of December; by the time I was in grade school, it was the day after Thanksgiving; by the time I got out of high school, it was the day after Halloween, and now it's the middle of October. For crying out loud. 'War on Christmas,' indeed... but it's not coming from the atheists or secularists.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 7:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Christmas in the USA is a mainly secular.

So there is little reason for an atheist to treat the holiday any differently than a christian would.

My fathers side of the family is very religious and they celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ. Christmas may be a secular holiday, but for me, it means religious pressure from my family and their church.

For some atheists, because of their family, Christmas is a very religious time of year. We're pelted with it from the people that are closest to us and makes it very stressful.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/