Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

I can't believe the answer is to break up the country, though to be sure, the political and economic divide has never been wider in modern times.
As the Republicans are in the middle of self destructing right now due to their own right wind extremist wing, we might be seeing the beginning of the end of this unfortunate period of trials and tribulations.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Regardless of Affirmative Action, more whites are hired than blacks. And that includes plenty of unqualified whites.
And who says every black person who has been graced with a job through affirmative action is going to be unqualified for it? It must be remembered that we have Affirmative Action because blacks had been kept out of the job market due to racism.
I'm sorry that you feel you've been victimized by Affirmative Action. But that has not been my experience, where I have never lost out on unemployment due to so called reverse racism. It's the Neurotypicals in general that I've been screwed by.

TheLibrarian wrote:
Bill, all I can do is assure you I intend no offense when I call you a liberal rather than American. As a conservative, I believe words have definite meanings, including American. As is the case with being a liberal, what is in one's heart and head is what makes one an American.

Bill (if you do not mind me calling you this) as a person who is more towards the liberal bent I really need to say something here. What we're dealing with is human nature. I regret to say that people who have similar beliefs that I have do not understand it that well. With regard to human nature, you can't force someone to agree with you mind, body and soul especially a whole society who does not share your values or believes what you believe. I have observed this on ebay when it came to coupons. Ebay banned the buying and selling of coupons. People got around it by buying and selling the services of cutting the coupons out. I believe a lot more conservatives understand human nature a lot more than we liberals do.

The problem is we have sets of ideas and beliefs that are alien to each other and conservatives and liberals action and words comes from these ideas and beliefs. In the conservatives' minds you are forcing a belief system they abhor and they see us as invaders and destroyers of the very essence and soul of this country called the USA.

I believe what librarian is saying in order to be an American one has to accept its ideals and beliefs. To me, this is to absolute and the way conservatives perceive things is to absolute. To me, it presents contradictions and it has the you're either with us or against us mentality. Honestly, we're not changing each other's minds and in my opinion I think the best answer is to break up the USA sort of like the soviet union did in a peaceful manner and we can all congregate to where we feel the most comfortable. Because of our ireconcible philosophical differences I don't think our nation can stay united.

I agree with the essence of Cubedemon's comments, though I would add that liberals don't like American values forced on them. This phenomenon even had a name back during the Bush years: Bush Derangement Syndrome, in which liberals were horrified that any day now theocracy and lynching would be made mandatory.

This is why I say the wrong side won in the Civil War. Had the Southerners been allowed to peacefully secede, we would get along much better.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:49 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Asian Americans are the most economically and educationally successful among ethnic groups in America (excluding the narrow subgroup of American Jews).

They are however under-represented in Ivy League colleges.

Yes, Asians are the most successful group barring Ashkenazi Jews. But that is not the same thing as saying that they suffer more discrimination than do whites.

As far as discrimination goes, how many Evangelicals are admitted to Ivy League schools?

Evangelicals are not an ethnic group.

Thelibrarian wrote:
What is it that makes "racists" want to vote Republican? What has the GOP done for "racists"?

Historical revisionism about the Civil War.

On top of that, evangelicals have to accept a degree of self blame for this situation of being closed out of Ivy League schools. After all, they tend to be of a proud anti-intellectual tradition that prefers their own institutions of learning, such as Liberty University (considered second rate by most of the rest of us).

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:51 pm

staremaster wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
staremaster wrote:
^You missed my point again. I did not say all Republicans are racists. I said that White American racists have tended to vote Republican since the time of Lyndon Johnson, and I don't think it's coincidental.

What is it that makes "racists" want to vote Republican? What has the GOP done for "racists"?

Race is not the only reason one might vote Republican. It's not a question of what the Republicans do FOR white racists, its what the Democrats did TO them, IE Lyndon Johnson, affirmative action, etc.

So, you agree with my original contention then. Before LBJ, ninety percent of Southern whites voted for Democrats; since LBJ, ninety percent of white Southerners vote Republican. Are we really all "racists"?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Asian Americans are the most economically and educationally successful among ethnic groups in America (excluding the narrow subgroup of American Jews).

Yes, Asians are the most successful group barring Ashkenazi Jews. But that is not the same thing as saying that they suffer more discrimination than do whites.

As far as discrimination goes, how many Evangelicals are admitted to Ivy League schools?

Thelibrarian wrote:

On top of that, evangelicals have to accept a degree of self blame for this situation of being closed out of Ivy League schools. After all, they tend to be of a proud anti-intellectual tradition that prefers their own institutions of learning, such as Liberty University (considered second rate by most of the rest of us).

Bill, I come from that tradition myself. Would you really consider me to be anti-intellectual?

I could also say that anti-intellectualism is far stronger in the black community than in any white community. Being academically inclined and black is what they call "acting white".

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:54 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
This is why I say the wrong side won in the Civil War. Had the Southerners been allowed to peacefully secede, we would get along much better.

And had the British defeated the American revolutionaries - thus eradicating the current United States of America - slavery would have been abolished much sooner. Slavery was abandoned in mainland Britain in 1772, and abolished in 1834 - 29 years before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

And had the British defeated the American revolutionaries - thus eradicating the current United States of America - slavery would have been abolished much sooner. Slavery was abandoned in mainland Britain in 1772, and abolished in 1834 - 29 years before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Sir, I don't know where you get your information from. In 1776, Britain had a total of twenty-six colonies, and slavery wasn't just allowed in all of them--it was mandatory. Pennsylvania Quakers tried to make it illegal there and the crown forbade it.

Nice try though.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

^At the time, the Democratic Party in the Senate was a Southern political machine, knocking down any attempts at desegregation.
Immediately after the Johnson administration, there was a Southern backlash against the Democratic Party. As time passed, other issues were introduced, such as abortion, homosexual rights, the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror".
So no, you are not all "racists", its more complicated nowadays, but historically since the desegregation of the South, the South has voted Republican.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

Thelibrarian wrote:

Bill, I come from that tradition myself. Would you really consider me to be anti-intellectual?

I could also say that anti-intellectualism is far stronger in the black community than in any white community. Being academically inclined and black is what they call "acting white".

That is unfortunately correct about many (though not all) blacks rejecting intellectual achievement as "acting white." That is sadly a legacy of racism and slavery, where blacks came to believe they were less intelligent than whites.
As for whether or not evangelicals are of an anti-intellectual bent - their scorn for the level of academics of mainline Protestants and Catholics, including the long term religious education of both laity and clergy speaks volumes. That includes notions of holding "creationism sciences" above real biology and geology in order to prove that the earth is only six thousand years old(!).

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:03 pm

staremaster wrote:
^At the time, the Democratic Party in the Senate was a Southern political machine, knocking down any attempts at desegregation.
Immediately after the Johnson administration, there was a Southern backlash against the Democratic Party. As time passed, other issues were introduced, such as abortion, homosexual rights, the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror".
So no, you are not all "racists", its more complicated nowadays, but historically since the desegregation of the South, the South has voted Republican.

I think I can speak for most Southerners when I say that just as only the poor have the right to commend poverty to others, only liberals who live in ghettos have the right to commend desgregation to others.

It's worth noting that blacks were forbidden live in many states and cities in the north well into the twentieth century.

Having said this, you are partially right. The formation of the so-called religious right into a semi-organized body was due to predatory liberals trying to force their sick values on us, particularly Roe V Wade. What I do know is that it will all end in tears.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:11 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
staremaster wrote:

I think I can speak for most Southerners when I say that just as only the poor have the right to commend poverty to others, only liberals who live in ghettos have the right to commend desgregation to others.

It's worth noting that blacks were forbidden live in many states and cities in the north well into the twentieth century.

Having said this, you are partially right. The formation of the so-called religious right into a semi-organized body was due to predatory liberals trying to force their sick values on us, particularly Roe V Wade. What I do know is that it will all end in tears.

Slavery: "It seemed like a good idea at the time to save money" "Damn these troublesome blacks!"

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Sir, I don't know where you get your information from. In 1776, Britain had a total of twenty-six colonies, and slavery wasn't just allowed in all of them--it was mandatory. Pennsylvania Quakers tried to make it illegal there and the crown forbade it.

Nice try though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somersett%27s_Case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I can't believe the answer is to break up the country, though to be sure, the political and economic divide has never been wider in modern times.
As the Republicans are in the middle of self destructing right now due to their own right wind extremist wing, we might be seeing the beginning of the end of this unfortunate period of trials and tribulations.

I don't know my friend.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 6:33 am

Thelibrarian wrote:

To put it humorously:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJeCGc6Ewg[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

To put it humorously:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJeCGc6Ewg[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: I just watched that last night! :lol: :lol: